Breakfast individual....hands down is......

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » April 11, 2011, 1:13 pm

City Lodge.

Dropped the girls off at school this morning and then swung by the CL for breakfast. 2 toast, 2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 ham, 2 stewed tomatoes, beans, coffee for 120 baht. Served quickly and cooked just right. Don't think anyone else in
town comes close; especially when factoring in price. =D> And, for me it's a bonus to watch the morning news
on their big-screen TV while enjoying breakfast.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » April 11, 2011, 6:23 pm

Didn't think you were allowed out of the house any more. can you explain for us dummies what CL stands for?

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 11, 2011, 6:32 pm

merchant seaman wrote:Didn't think you were allowed out of the house any more. can you explain for us dummies what CL stands for?
Possibly a reference to the place named at the top of his post ...... just guessing :-"

City Lodge.

Dropped the girls off at school this morning and then swung by the CL for breakfast. 2 toast, 2 eggs, 2 sausage, 2 ham, 2 stewed tomatoes, beans, coffee for 120 baht. Served quickly and cooked just right. Don't think anyone else in
town comes close; especially when factoring in price. =D> And, for me it's a bonus to watch the morning news
on their big-screen TV while enjoying breakfast.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 11, 2011, 6:39 pm

You can get a breakfast like that, minus the stewed tomatoes which taste terrible anyway, for 100 baht in Toronto, and many other places in Canada. Also, we have bacon in place of ham.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » April 11, 2011, 6:58 pm

And it's very cold in Canada. And they speak French.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 11, 2011, 7:16 pm

The majority of the people in the Province of Quebec speak French. In the rest of Canada, the majority of people speak English, Mandarin, Cantonese, Punjabi, Korean, Italian and so on. It reflects well on a country if the people can communicate in more than one language.

Yes, Canada is a very cold country although southern British Columbia has a fairly moderate climate. It is going to be 21 C today, which is not too bad.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » April 11, 2011, 7:20 pm

What? No Spanish? In USA more people speak spanish then english.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 11, 2011, 7:27 pm

The Spanish is included in the '...and so on'.

I am trying to think of where I ate breakfast in Udonthani, and can only think of the Amazon Cafe, the Karin Hotel, and a few Thai places. The latter seemed to provide the best bang for the buck so to speak.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » April 11, 2011, 7:38 pm

When the last time you were in Udon? Been here 11 years. Many places to eat now then there were 11 years ago but to be honest with you can eat breakfast at home a lot cheaper then they charge you around town. Eggs about 3 baht each the rest you can fill in as desired each breakfast averaged out maybe 50 baht. Thai brakfast 30 baht

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 11, 2011, 9:36 pm

The last time that I was in Udonthani was in September 2010.

Yes, eating at home is going to be cheaper than eating in a restaurant, and this holds true all around the world.

WhoUrDaddy
udonmap.com

Post by WhoUrDaddy » April 12, 2011, 9:06 am

That is one western meal I won't eat in a restaurant, breakfast, as the easiest to prepare at home, and the most inflated to eat in a restaurant. Besides that, I eat breakfast before I shower and prepare for the day's outing. Any place charging more than 100 baht for a FULL breakfast including coffee, unless a bottomless cup, is charging too much.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » April 12, 2011, 9:40 am

A new place in Soi Sampan called Chimrai, does a full English breakfast for 95 baht.

Two eggs, bacon, sausage, beans, grilled tomato and rosti. Coffee or tea, and two slices of toast.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » April 12, 2011, 9:50 am

merchant seaman wrote:When the last time you were in Udon? Been here 11 years. Many places to eat now then there were 11 years ago but to be honest with you can eat breakfast at home a lot cheaper then they charge you around town. Eggs about 3 baht each the rest you can fill in as desired each breakfast averaged out maybe 50 baht. Thai brakfast 30 baht
Not sure about those figures MS.

If you make a proper Western style brekkie at home you would use large eggs (approx B5 each not the village sparrows variety sold in plastic bags). 2 fried slices of proper bread (B58 for 8 slices in Tesco), 2 pork sausages and 2 slices of bacon (not chipolattas and tiny rashers that cook down to nothing), baked beans (not cheap Thai variety, 1/2 tin which is currently B48 so thats B24), Tomatoes, mushrooms and fried potatoes (5B each?), fresh juice (about B20 a glass) and coffee (B5 - 10). Even without the main ingreedients (Pork Sausages & Bacon), or the cooking oil, time and effort that's well over B50.

I think any establishment making a good brekkie for between B100 and B150 are doing a fine job, and of course you can sit back and read the paper whilst they do the washing up :lol:

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » April 12, 2011, 2:34 pm

Has to be the bookhouse for me plus you get a mug of tea or coffee and good sausages.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » April 12, 2011, 3:24 pm

Witnessed two tables at City Lodge having the 120 baht breakfast for lunch today, quite a nice plate of food, am tempted to go try myself tomorrow morning, they open at 07h00. Great combination of quality food, service, and atmosphere.

Someone suggested anything more than 100 baht is too much, meaning CL is 20 baht or 20% too high (even though they are 50 baht lower than Irish Clock which is also fine value in my perception).

Thank heavens my livelihood does not depend on such "economical consumers" farang in Udon, EC's let's call them, a nice euphemism for CC's.

Kudos to those who do it successfully and manage to make a profit.

Galee
udonmap.com

Post by Galee » April 12, 2011, 3:47 pm

I regularly have breakfast at The City Lodge and The Irish Clock and I'm confused at the prices quoted and the portions mentioned.
The portions mentioned in the OP are not what I get for 120baht. I do not get 2 sausage and 2 ham. I've never had the big breakfast at the CL but maybe the OP is getting confused with the big breakfast which I think is 150baht. Either that or the portions have changed since Saturday.
The Irish Clock breakfast prices are as far as I'm aware, small 120baht, big 150baht.

GARYZX6R
udonmap.com

Post by GARYZX6R » April 12, 2011, 4:53 pm

Yes EC s don't you just love'm !

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » April 13, 2011, 3:08 pm

Galee wrote:I regularly have breakfast at The City Lodge and The Irish Clock and I'm confused at the prices quoted and the portions mentioned.
The portions mentioned in the OP are not what I get for 120baht. I do not get 2 sausage and 2 ham. I've never had the big breakfast at the CL but maybe the OP is getting confused with the big breakfast which I think is 150baht. Either that or the portions have changed since Saturday.
The Irish Clock breakfast prices are as far as I'm aware, small 120baht, big 150baht.
I was told they (City Lodge) have lowered the price from 150 to 120 baht for the low season. The OP is not confused. ;)

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » April 13, 2011, 3:19 pm

Ahhhhhhh........the 'CC's'. Yes, I'm aware they exist on UM. About a year ago (maybe 2 years, can't remember) there was a post for a great hamburger :roll: at a place in the Night Market. I *think* the name of the place was "the Station" but I'm not sure. It was next to 'D Corner'. Anyway, after all the 'rants' about how great this burger was I tried it for myself. What a piece of rubbish; a crappy little frozen patty. Oh.....it WAS the cheapest burger I've ever had in Udon; tells you what the CC's are all about.........

It's near impossible to find quality AND low price anywhere; Udon is no exception.

ps - speaking of burgers; the one at Baan Thai Steak is good.

rct
udonmap.com

Post by rct » April 13, 2011, 4:57 pm

Love da Blues, this is tangential however may be related, perhaps merits exploration under Interesting Forum Statistics.

Wondering if any correlation or truth to this premise: the less that EC's / CC's spend on breakfast or eating out in general (and or accomodation, if considered on a monthly basis), the more they spend on beer and babes Or more simply, the ratio of spend - breakfast:beer?

A punter who won't spend more than 100 baht for breakfast but probably spends a few hundred baht on daily beer.

Put another way, us poor married guys in jail have little better to do with our dough than eat out, and eat well.

Return to “Udon Thani Restaurants”