Mexican Food

Discussions on local & International restaurants and food suppliers.
ergman
udonmap.com

Mexican Food

Post by ergman » April 1, 2023, 12:14 am

Mexican to eat here ideas please?

mak
udonmap.com

Re: Mexican Food

Post by mak » April 1, 2023, 9:25 am

Los Amigos
Country Grill
Corner Bar
Chris's Place

SeekingSakYant
udonmap.com

Post by SeekingSakYant » September 5, 2023, 8:12 am

Leave it to a fellow American to travel to the other side of the world and want "mexican food".....go to Mexico....
"To care for him who shall have borne the Battle, and for his Widow, and his Orphan." -A.Lincoln

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.” -Mark Twain

Cambodia is the South East Asian equivalent of Alabama and Louisiana and their cousin humpin Mississippi states of Merica

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » September 5, 2023, 9:28 am

Same for all nationalities. Once they are here they are after food from the Old Country

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » September 5, 2023, 10:35 am

Mexico serves Mexican dishes. The USA serves Tex-Mex. Ask anyone who has had both and they will tell you they are completely different.

marcsarge
udonmap.com

Post by marcsarge » September 6, 2023, 10:18 pm

Ken6583, I agree with you.

SeekingSakYant, Most people want something from their own country once in awhile, Don't take someones request for a dish from home as they want it everyday, think of it as going out to dinner at home once a awhile.

marcsarge
udonmap.com

Post by marcsarge » September 6, 2023, 10:23 pm

I would also say I would agree with you if we were on vacation but were not, some of the people have been here years so something from home once and awhile is nice.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 7, 2023, 8:51 am

Kenr6583 wrote:
September 5, 2023, 10:35 am
Mexico serves Mexican dishes. The USA serves Tex-Mex. Ask anyone who has had both and they will tell you they are completely different.
Tex-Mex isn't served in SoCal either.

...for which they are truly grateful.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 7, 2023, 8:57 am

marcsarge wrote:
September 6, 2023, 10:18 pm

SeekingSakYant, Most people want something from their own country once in awhile, Don't take someones request for a dish from home as they want it everyday, think of it as going out to dinner at home once a awhile.
I don't consider SSY was taking a pop at the OP, just pointing out an idiosyncrasy that's common to most of us long-term farang exiles. As others have suggested, a culinary change once in a while is refreshing, but for the life of me, I can't get my head around the resident Englander's irrepressible demand for a Sunday bloody Roast EVERY bloody Sunday.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » September 7, 2023, 2:44 pm

tamada wrote:
September 7, 2023, 8:57 am
marcsarge wrote:
September 6, 2023, 10:18 pm

I don't consider SSY was taking a pop at the OP, just pointing out an idiosyncrasy that's common to most of us long-term farang exiles. As others have suggested, a culinary change once in a while is refreshing, but for the life of me, I can't get my head around the resident Englander's irrepressible demand for a Sunday bloody Roast EVERY bloody Sunday.
Really, don't sweat it. At least Sunday roast doesn't leave you smelling like tobacco, no.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » September 7, 2023, 3:18 pm

tamada wrote:
September 7, 2023, 8:51 am
Kenr6583 wrote:

There’s definitely Tex-Mex in SoCal, unless Los Angeles and San Diego relocated recently.

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » September 7, 2023, 5:44 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
September 7, 2023, 3:18 pm
tamada wrote:
September 7, 2023, 8:51 am
Kenr6583 wrote:

There’s definitely Tex-Mex in SoCal, unless Los Angeles and San Diego relocated recently.

Add National City and Coronado to SoCal cities that serves both true Mexican food and Tex-Mex.

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » September 7, 2023, 6:14 pm

For what its worth, La Monita Taqueria in Bangkok https://www.lamonita.com/#mexican-food does Cali style instead of Tex-Mex. In fact, you can order tacos Cali style or Mexi style. I find them nothing like the more Tex-Mex style I have had in a place like Pappasitos chain in Texas https://pappasitos.com/home/ or the family owned and perhaps more authentic Tee Pee in Phoenix, AZ https://teepeemexicanfood.com/

Well worth the trip down IMHO. I have on at least two occasions flown down to meet friends at La Monita for lunch the carried on through the evening stumbling over to Billy's Smokehouse next door for dinner https://www.facebook.com/BillysBKK/ (Billy, an ex-Cisco Engineer, owns them both and knows how to cook!).

If its Udon only you require, Andy does fair dinkum Fajitas and Tacos quite often and occasionally Enchiladas or Chili Con Carne on Fridays at Chris's. Weekly specials menu can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/christopher.mcgovern.35
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » September 7, 2023, 7:58 pm

Are you a Mexican or a Mexicant???

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » September 14, 2023, 11:51 am

FYI...
Attachments
Friday_15Sep23.jpg
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt

Kenr6583
udonmap.com

Post by Kenr6583 » September 14, 2023, 1:58 pm

Potamoi wrote:
September 7, 2023, 6:14 pm
For what its worth, La Monita Taqueria in Bangkok https://www.lamonita.com/#mexican-food does Cali style instead of Tex-Mex. In fact, you can order tacos Cali style or Mexi style. I find them nothing like the more Tex-Mex style I have had in a place like Pappasitos chain in Texas https://pappasitos.com/home/ or the family owned and perhaps more authentic Tee Pee in Phoenix, AZ https://teepeemexicanfood.com/

Well worth the trip down IMHO. I have on at least two occasions flown down to meet friends at La Monita for lunch the carried on through the evening stumbling over to Billy's Smokehouse next door for dinner https://www.facebook.com/BillysBKK/ (Billy, an ex-Cisco Engineer, owns them both and knows how to cook!).

If its Udon only you require, Andy does fair dinkum Fajitas and Tacos quite often and occasionally Enchiladas or Chili Con Carne on Fridays at Chris's. Weekly specials menu can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/christopher.mcgovern.35
Don’t take offense, but if you’re going to Pappasitos in Texas for Tex-Mex you are missing out.

Potamoi
udonmap.com

Post by Potamoi » September 14, 2023, 7:20 pm

Kenr6583 wrote:
September 14, 2023, 1:58 pm

Don’t take offense, but if you’re going to Pappasitos in Texas for Tex-Mex you are missing out.
No offense taken. Papasitos was the only chain I could remember as it was the venue for happy hour after an annual Oil and Gas trade show in Houston. I do like their Watermelon Margs though ;)
Benjamin Franklin

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 15, 2023, 4:54 pm

Potamoi wrote:
September 14, 2023, 7:20 pm
Kenr6583 wrote:
September 14, 2023, 1:58 pm

No offense taken. Papasitos was the only chain I could remember as it was the venue for happy hour after an annual Oil and Gas trade show in Houston. I do like their Watermelon Margs though ;)
Nothing wrong with any of the Pappa's family of restaurants be it Tex-Mex, Cajun, BBQ, seafood or steak. Yes there are better, individual restaurants that do some things better or more esoteric or with a different flavor, especially 'inside the loop' but Pappas were all right for overall service and value for money. For Tex-Mex, I preferred Ninfa's for their warm dipping salsa and Carnitas but for Sunday brunch after a belter of a Saturday night out, El Rey on Shepherd was pretty unbeatable with it's Cuban influences. It's a bit like pizza in that regard, with different personal preferences but none of them being 'the best' or 'most authentic' for everyone. My buddy thought that Taco Cabana was the best ever Mexican food, but he was visiting from Chicago.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 15, 2023, 4:55 pm

Potamoi wrote:
September 14, 2023, 11:51 am
FYI...
Very, VERY good call.