Planning to retire

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » May 24, 2008, 8:08 pm

From one Bob to another, welcome to the forum Bob22.
Dwang Dang (not sure of the correct spelling :( ) is the place you refer to Bob.
As far as I am aware (went by about 2 days ago) it is still open, but I don't know when it is finally going to shut - depends on how quickly they want to develop that end of the site I guess.
Personally I don't know of anywhere else like it in Udon, I think it is a bit of a one off with the live bands and the size of it. Whenever I have been in there it has always been busy (mainly with Thais) and I would think it was/is a profitable enterprise so I imagine that they have plans afoot to open somewhere else if/when they are made homeless.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 24, 2008, 8:30 pm

Welcome Bob22,... the Benmore you asked about is actually a whisky brand, as bh said its called Tawang Daeng.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

ezrider
udonmap.com

Post by ezrider » May 24, 2008, 8:44 pm

Benmoore is actually short for the phrase "bend over more" or "bend over more often". Something one does when paying the tab after an evening at Tawangdang.

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 24, 2008, 9:04 pm

Not to be confused with his good buddy...Phil McCavity.
Can You Dig It Dug.?

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 24, 2008, 9:19 pm

Welcome you will have plenty to do. If yuo have time and don't know any yet might start working on learning a little Thai it will make the adventure a lot more fun. Good day time activity and leaves your evenings open.

Bob22
udonmap.com

Post by Bob22 » May 24, 2008, 9:22 pm

Many Thanks all.
Regarding Tawang Daeng. I know of similar places in BKK (only been with Thia's so could not direct anybody) and a similar place in Khon Keon. I will miss it in Udon as it was one of my favourite watering holes. I said Ben More as it has a big sign on the outside. PS I do not bend over. :lol:

Bob22
udonmap.com

Post by Bob22 » May 24, 2008, 9:27 pm

Bump.
When I decide where to live my next exercise is learning some Thai and getting a Thai driving licence. I have no intention of driving in Thailand though as I cannot understand the customs. When I have been with girlfriend in her car I could never understand the rules on cutting in and going through red lights. In BKK I would give up anyway.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 25, 2008, 6:36 am

welcome bob, basically when driving here the golden rule to remember is, there aint no rule adhered to, remember that and you may survive on the roads. :lol: :lol: :lol:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 25, 2008, 7:04 am

Actually it is harder because you have to pay attention all the time because people are going in different directions on the same side of the street!The mixture of bicycles,motorbikes and people seems maddening at normal Western speeds!

The answer is to drive much slower here,which IMO,is great practice for changing your overall ''pace''from the Western influenced pace that says ''time is money''!There is no reason to hurry here unless you are after the thrills of some youth,which are or cause many of the accident statistics!

On the open road,especially 4 lanes and expressways,most drivers go faster than the West!Probably because they have more purpose for not wasting time and probably because they can w/o to much speed enforcement like the West,at least not at the high penalty costs of the West!

Two lane highways need special attention as you must always be on alert to give way to oncoming passing motorists,combined with motorbikes and other ''thing'' traveling at slower speeds in the outside lane that you might have to move into!Add to that are the many crossings,driveways and ocassional ''popups'' by people and animals that emerge from lower land to the higher highway!These roads have the most death toll statistics!

When I first came to Bangkok,I ,too,said that I would never drive in Thailand.Now I drive everywhere and don't trust others to drive much as I have great confidence in my ability to pay attention to the driving responsibility at all times versus what I observe others doing,such as talking to someone and taking there eyes of the road,etc.etc.

It gets easier with time as you get used to and can anticipate many of the Thai driving patterns,but you must always be vigilant and whatever you do,don't stop in traffic to let pedestrians cross!!! :lol:

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 25, 2008, 7:11 am

Hell Stan, you must have been on the edge of your seat that time I drove you guys home after your car broke down in Udon. Surprised you didn't jump out and kissed the ground when I finally got you home :lol:

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 25, 2008, 7:34 am

papaguido wrote:Hell Stan, you must have been on the edge of your seat that time I drove you guys home after your car broke down in Udon. Surprised you didn't jump out and kissed the ground when I finally got you home :lol:
:lol: Just a little :lol: But that is what appreciation for a good guy will do :lol:

Everyone makes concessions when get ''stuck''in life!You are a lifesaver,how can anyone worry at that point! =D> =D>

Have not seen much of you on the forum!Figured you been working out and our Tiger bill should be smaller at the next NM meeting as you will probably be on a workout diet :lol: :lol:

john5001
udonmap.com

Post by john5001 » May 27, 2008, 7:33 pm

Zidane wrote:
laphanphon wrote:
I'll take you up on that pint at Irish Clock
we'll read about you.

'Why do they always do it nude' comes to mind. 8)
If he jumped from the top floor of the Irish Clock he'd only receive broken limbs,at worst ! :lol:

Zidane
Well I guess this comment illustrates the level here.

Cheap jibes are a waste of time and enforces my view that some here are OK and can sort of see the point I was trying to make.

Others, really a waste of time like a lot of old bored boozers :lol:

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 27, 2008, 7:56 pm

its only a light bit of banter , its very common on this board, stick around and you will see for yourself, its the best forum around ..if you have some sort of connection with Udon of course.

john5001
udonmap.com

Post by john5001 » May 27, 2008, 8:38 pm

Yes I think some guys here are OK but some are not. . :?

I am writing to someone who has just talked about marriage after three dates?? Why am I skeptical... She says if I look after family she will be good wife. She is 33 I am 51. :?

I am not flattered like some on this board would be but feel my intelligence has been insulted. Just the gut reaction to her mail. Now how would you lot view this mail. :?

Please no dumb remarks... I can get a five year old to do that.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » May 27, 2008, 8:42 pm

oh im sorry, was you trying to make a point, silly me, i thought you was just slagging off all thai women, as money grabbing callous bitches, yet you still intend to come visit. ive also learnt in life if you want respect you first have to show respect. which im affraid does not apply in your case. but your very generous with insults. if you dont like this forum, take a hike.

john5001
udonmap.com

Post by john5001 » May 27, 2008, 8:49 pm

I have friends in Udon, so will visit again in a few months.

Cannot help if meaningful discussion is something you are not capable of. :(

If you cannot discuss a topic in an adult way, I suggest YOU leave the forum

Why don't you play bingo or something instead:lol:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 27, 2008, 9:07 pm

Please no dumb remarks... I can get a five year old to do that
don't think you will have to, you are doing a fine job yourself
I just want to play games now like all Thai women do

What I am trying to say is I just do not think ANY Thai lady is worth the inevitable heartache and issues, plus being a made to look a fool

.You have me wrong yes two marriages did fail but not through any actions on my part.
My take was that eventually some girls I met in Udon who seemed everything???turned out to be just another Thai sponger telling lies and generally cheating
now i can only answer you with your own words
Why have you all come here?? rejected and failed at home?? No other reason really.

Nothing you have written here is useful

If you cannot discuss a topic in an adult way, I suggest YOU leave

Bump
udonmap.com

Post by Bump » May 27, 2008, 9:12 pm

Well I guess I would ask myself what I would think of an approach like that in my home country. However that is how many realtionships begin here.

How would I view that mail a total waste of time unless you find some entertainment out of it, if you do then continue we all have to fill our time somehow.

That being said if you want a real relationship then you need to be here or the other person needs to be there. It take time and real exposure in some form to decide if there are enough things in common to build a relationship on.

So that is what I see a your challenge not if you can hook up someone here on the internet Internet dating is just like mass marketing here or anywhere. You play the numbers and illiminate those you don't want to meet. I know I used to be pretty good at it in the states. Once yuo live here yuo won't need that approach anymore. You will have time to meet people.

Sounds to me like you both are playing the game, seeing how you can illiminate the prospects. Her by qaulifying you by financial security right up front. You wanting soemthing that is not money motivated.

I'm a little curious why you would put us in a semi judgmental role?

I can't see why what we think makes any difference to you or her.

So I have answered your question honestly. So how about you answer mine in the same manner?

Kenn
udonmap.com

Post by Kenn » May 27, 2008, 9:37 pm

The gospel according to john5001
Yes I think some guys here are OK but some are not. .

I am writing to someone who has just talked about marriage after three dates?? Why am I skeptical... She says if I look after family she will be good wife. She is 33 I am 51.

I am not flattered like some on this board would be but feel my intelligence has been insulted. Just the gut reaction to her mail. Now how would you lot view this mail.

Please no dumb remarks... I can get a five year old to do that.
First of all dealing with a women like that is not insulting your intelligence ,,,,,you just don

beer monkey
udonmap.com

Post by beer monkey » May 27, 2008, 9:43 pm

Stuff the internet dating sites and get your arse over to Thailand and see for yourself, i am not saying these dating sites are totally useless, as some have got a good decent relationship from them(but you are not looking for one of those are you.!!)...i myself have scoured hundreds of pages purely on a research basis and am amazed at the amount of women looking for 'Mr Right'.. ;) .

But you can't beat being on the spot, face to face, but as you said you just want to come and have fun every 3 months, i really don't see what differance it makes if your on-line contacts are asking these questions and what we think of them either...unless you are really looking for a wife.Not a good idea but if you want to play them at their own game play along with them see where it takes you, i wouldn't want to be in your flip-flops when the ---- hits the fan.

And if you have not figured it out yet why most of the members here have not 'taken' to you....read your first 2 posts, that set the ball rolling and that same ball don't look like it is going to stop.

Return to “Relationships”