Getting married

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
samster
udonmap.com

Getting married

Post by samster » June 11, 2023, 9:06 am

So the thread on embassy changes scratches the surface but, anyone have any experience of this (asking for a friend :D )?

1.Divirced previously in the UK and remarried in Thailand having gone to British embassy to do the affidavit thing. If you subsequently divorce your Thai wife and want to remarry, do you still need to get an affidavit or will your Thai divorce paperwork suffice?

2. Assuming an affidavit is required. My friend has a friend in the UK who is a public notary. He has assured him that he can provide the affidavit etc dispensing of the need to visit the Embassy. My friend was pretty drunk at the time (as was the notary) so, this may be complete nonsense but, anyone have any thoughts

Yours, Henry R (VIII)

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: Getting married

Post by Khun Paul » June 11, 2023, 10:44 am

YES You still need to get th Freedom to marry from the Embassy I do believe that can be done by post these days , plus of course he necessary divorced cert from the thai AMPHUR (which should have been given by the Amphur to you

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 11, 2023, 11:28 am

I doubt a piece of paper drafted and signed by two inebriated persons in the UK will satisfy Thailand's Ministry of Foreign Affairs. They are the ultimate requestor of the embassy-issued affidavit of freedom to marry. The Consular section probably don't give a hoot apart from the fee.

If the divorce was in Thailand and recent enough to be in the national database, getting a certified copy of the 'divorce paperwork' from any Amphur should be easy peasy. Date, location and name of either one of the divorcees should suffice. That's the same basic information they need to issue the kor ror 2 that (some) immigration needs for annual extensions.

PS: Sorry it didn't work out with Kathryn (and Anne and Catherine and Jane).
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 11, 2023, 1:17 pm

tamada wrote:
June 11, 2023, 11:28 am

Thanks chaps. What I thought. My mate did say he'd done it for marriages in other countries. The obstacle, as suggested, would be presenting something out of the ordinary to the gnome in the Thai ministry.

BTW, Who's Kathryn? This will be my 3rd wife.

The 1st one was married to my brother and the 2nd couldn't give me a son. I'm looking to marry Jane now. This one will be for as long as she lives. I'd never marry anyone who's ugly or would shag her cousin. I'm a handsome man you know and can still attract the chicks even weighing in at 120kg in my tights and wife beater.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 11, 2023, 1:43 pm

samster wrote:
June 11, 2023, 1:17 pm
tamada wrote:

Thanks chaps. What I thought. My mate did say he'd done it for marriages in other countries. The obstacle, as suggested, would be presenting something out of the ordinary to the gnome in the Thai ministry.

The 1st one was married to my brother and the 2nd couldn't give me a son. I'm looking to marry Jane now. This one will be for as long as she lives. I'd never marry anyone who's ugly or would shag her cousin. I'm a handsome man you know and can still attract the chicks even weighing in at 120kg in my tights and wife beater.
Pics please, I want to show my partner how lucky she is
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 11, 2023, 6:04 pm

Whistler wrote:
June 11, 2023, 1:43 pm
samster wrote:
June 11, 2023, 1:17 pm
tamada wrote:

Pics please, I want to show my partner how lucky she is
Is there any Thai legislation with regard to incitement?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » June 11, 2023, 6:52 pm

"Pics please, I want to show my partner how lucky she is"

Whistles inner Jim Bowen coming out "look what you could have won"

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » June 11, 2023, 9:20 pm

Jup jup
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » November 13, 2023, 2:25 pm

Going back to this thread. My friend still never got round to doing the deed.

He's going to BKK at the end of the month and will have time to do the British Embassy thing and getting it translated but wont be able to go to the Thai Ministry to get it legalised due to time constraints.

He returns in early January (a month and a few days later) and, if he can be bothered, will be able to go then.

Anyone know if theres an issue with a 1 month old affidavit?

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 13, 2023, 2:41 pm

Should be OK, but recently they changed procedures, no walk in anymore, have to make an appointment, I believe docs no less than 6 months are acceptable but advise he phones ahead and verifies

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 13, 2023, 5:44 pm

samster wrote:
November 13, 2023, 2:25 pm

He's going to BKK at the end of the month and will have time to do the British Embassy thing and getting it translated but wont be able to go to the Thai Ministry to get it legalised due to time constraints.

He returns in early January (a month and a few days later) and, if he can be bothered, will be able to go then.

It sounds like your friend is very busy. I assume it's the building of the house on his future wife's brothers land in Nakhon Nowhere that is being rightly prioritized here.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » November 14, 2023, 8:07 am

There is normally a few translator company people hanging around the Embassy. They will do the translation and take the docs to the Thai Ministry for a small fee. They then post on the docs to a Thai address of your choosing.
There should not be a problem taking a month-old doc either. Be careful the appointment system normally gives appointments at least 6 weeks forward from application date.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » November 14, 2023, 10:38 am

I lived with my now Thai wife for a year before I married her. When I asked her if she wanted to get married, she gave me a puzzled look and asked "WHY".? She gave me the standard Thai response, "UP to you". That was twenty years ago and we are still married. There was no sin sot and no wedding party. Her sister and her Thai husband were our witnesses.

She changed her Thai ID card to my last name and liked it when we stayed in a hotel so she could register as my wife and not have them think she was a bar girl. Like most Thai people, face is very important to her.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » November 15, 2023, 9:40 am

AlexO wrote:
November 14, 2023, 8:07 am
There is normally a few translator company people hanging around the Embassy. They will do the translation and take the docs to the Thai Ministry for a small fee. They then post on the docs to a Thai address of your choosing.
There should not be a problem taking a month-old doc either. Be careful the appointment system normally gives appointments at least 6 weeks forward from application date.
Thanks, that's very useful. Ive done the whole marriage thing myself and used a translation company in a small complex near the Embassy before but never thought of asking them to do the Ministry thing too.

A friend gave me details of one "marriage agency". They quoted a fee of 15k but couldn't seem to grasp the concept that all I wanted was someone to go to the Thai ministry for me. Having someone who does it regularly will be a much better option.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 15, 2023, 12:20 pm

samster wrote:
November 13, 2023, 2:25 pm

Found this on t'internet...

If you are in Bangkok, you can present your document and the original certified translation to the consular department of the MOFA at the new Legalization Office at MBK Center:

Legalization Division address:
Pathum Wan Legalization at the MBK Center Bangkok, 5th Floor, Zone A (No. 5A-12 and 5A-13). Services provided Monday – Friday (except public holidays), from 10.00 a.m. – 16.30 p.m.

Looks like a 'downtown' outpost of the MFA at MBK which may fit his tight schedule better?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » November 15, 2023, 1:27 pm

As an aside unless you are requiring for LEGAL purposes ie : passport, visa ( living in your own country ) . Other matters. Then if you marrty a Thai there is no legal requirement to register at the Ministry . The certificate issued by the Amphur is sufficent for Thailand . Onl;y when you travel abroad etc that possible further documentation is required.
For purposes of Wife receiving money 9 Pension should the Farangt pass away then it may be prudent/ )

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » November 15, 2023, 3:47 pm

Thanks will check it out.

I need some cold weather clothes for Spain en route to UK so would be going to MBK anyway

Return to “Relationships”