Gf asking for money to bail out her dad / info on bail system

Long distance relationships, mixed relationships etc...
welovesundays

Gf asking for money to bail out her dad / info on bail system

Post by welovesundays » November 9, 2016, 1:36 am

Does anyone have information on the bail system in Thailand? In particular, I'd like to understand:

- How much to expect for first-time possession/consuming of amphetamine?
- How the process of bailing out someone generally works?
- Whether there will be any obligations/disadvantages on the person posting bail, such as that that person has to personally guarantee, or that it will be on her records and visible for e.g. employers?
- Whether any kind of receipt will be issued stating that and how much bail was posted?

Gf just called me that her dad (and his new, terrible gf) is at the police station for possession/consuming a drug (amphetamine apparently) and that she wants to bail him out. She'll call the police tomorrow to find out how much and how to post bail and asked me whether I could help her because her savings (partly saved for supporting him in future) likely wouldn't be enough (she's expecting 30k THB based on experience with a weed-smoking relative). She's also concerned whether her company (or any future employer) could get to know about this.

She's mad at her dad, but of course she loves him and I understand. She made pretty clear this will be the first and only time she would bail him out, and that she will let that new gf (a pretty psycho girl apparently from what she told me) stay in jail.

Now, before you ask: My gf isn't a bar girl or any kind of pro. She only once asked for money in our 4 years of relationship when she couldn't pay her tuition fees (I declared it her Christmas gift and was fine with it). In fact, we had the "money discussion" before and she told me: "Listen, I never want to ask you for money, and I will ask everyone else before you. You will be the last one I ask so if I ever ask for money, you can be sure I really need your help." I offered her to support her renting an apartment once when she escaped her family home (because dad decided to move back in with his new, terrible gf creating a pretty bad environment) but she refused and moved in with her cousin.

I lend her money before (to pay her flight to visit me) and she paid it back immediately once her salary was out. She started working part-time (and I picked her up from her work place quite often so am sure it was legit work) to fund her studies once her dad stopped supporting her (because of that terrible, new gf he got himself). She is now working at a well-known multinational bank (back office), and generally more of a money-saving person (as in budgeting everything, taking the bus in Bangkok to go to work etc.).

Of course, she gets a gift every birthday and Christmas, and usually I am the one paying for most things when we are together. Both is not an issue at all, just saying it for completeness. And even for that she every once in a while is saving money so she can be the one paying for a trip, always telling me she wants to give back in future for everything I did invest in our relationship.

She met my family and friends; I met her friends and cousins and was at her house in Bangkok. I am well aware she isn't hi-so at all but from a difficult family with some serious problems. We are far from being a perfect couple and had our amount of fights in the past. But we always found back to each other having an open communication and trying to understand, accept, and/or change.

I actually do not have any doubts trusting her but then there are always (and have always been, which was and is a big issue of mine and a burden for our relationship) these stories we all have heard of, making it difficult to trust. So I'd like to do my due diligence.

Feel free to discuss this with your Thai spouse what she/he thinks about it.

Thanks a lot!

DuiDui
udonmap.com

Re: Gf asking for money to bail out her dad / info on bail system

Post by DuiDui » November 9, 2016, 8:35 am

Well maybe i sound harsh BUT in Thailand..land of Yabaa,corrupt Police force,i would even go so far after living here,and this my WIFE for 12 years says to me when i try to trust Thais...Blood IS thicker then water..i would go with my gut feeling..NEVER trust anyone but yourself in a land were you ALWAYS going to be a GUEST..

I wish you and your GF nothing but happiness in the land of..you fill in the dotted line........Good luck and have a good day sir.

PS.Either you give from your heart,then you can not get hurt.

If you give with ANY other intension..you will never be really happy,always a nagging feeling in the back of your head..What do i get back (anything..)will it be moore love,moore people thinking your THE good man..Give with HEART only..you can't fail.DS

Mosquito
udonmap.com

Post by Mosquito » November 9, 2016, 9:22 am

about 4 years ago brother-in-law got busted for 1 joint in Nong Bua Lamphu. so, dated and limited info:

20k baht bail got a receipt, didn't seem any kind of liability for the bailer.....you just lose the $$$ should he miss the court date/jump bail. was a fairly fast process.
* would assume yaba would be more in bail money.

after court process completed returned to the same place where we paid the bail, with the court documents and got the $$$ back.

there was a required drug test monthly waiting for the court date (close to 2 months wait, this was Nong Bua Lamphu.......wait could be longer in Udon Thani), not sure what happens to your bond $$$ should the dad test positive. worth asking....especially with yaba use, i can see where they axe dads free on bail and keep the $$$.

note: there were a lot of thai families using their land to get bail for their kids, seems there was a senior police officer that would pay/loan the $$$ for bond with land as collateral. i can see where this guy is making a lot of baht on runners and families are losing their land over a selfish family member.
*while i was at the bail office, figure 7 of 10 families were using land to get the bail money.
*not sure what the mark-up on this, but expect there is one.

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 9, 2016, 9:54 am

it sounds like you are overseas and your GF / dad are here in Thailand..yes?

drug cases are difficult, and depend on the type of class drug involved and quantity, and whether for sale or use....minimum time inside can be 4yrs for Class 1 sale..

bail can be set by a court or prosucuter while still in police cell..generally you would get the appropriate paper work and the money back once the trail is over..generally, however this is Thailand..price can vary as to crime..

.its the lawyer you should worry about if you want papa out..many dont give a fig.

you should stay in the background....

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » November 9, 2016, 1:36 pm

Nominal discussion with wife. You arent married - you havent agreed to support extended family issues.. albeit a father is a close one. If you fight.. then apart from the occasional minor bicker.. its a bit foreboding.

And a dad.. is not a youngster - and has made his OWN decisions about dope and his GF. The consistently repeated phrase in your post is "terrible GF".. "Up to him" as they say in Thai..

My tuppence is that you keep your loot in your pocket. And choose to invest forwards with your friend. Not cover backwards. I'd be reasonably sure that such an incident will re-occur in future if you part with your hard earnt currency; in some such shape or form. Lines in the sand is wise in Thailand.

Just sayn.

welovesundays

Post by welovesundays » November 9, 2016, 2:50 pm

Thanks for your replies, appreciate it.

Yes, I am not in Thailand with her. We are having a long-distance relationship after I moved back to my home country (was student and working in Bangkok before).

Im generally willing to help if it's an emergency situation. As said, I dont support her at all, no regular payments or anything. I'm ok helping in emergency situations though and I'd consider this one an emergency. Regardless of high likely or unlikely it is that it won't happen again I understand that she wants to get her dad out. (To be honest, I don't believe anything will change.) I'm even confident she'd pay back what i lend her step-by-step.

I just want to make sure this is really legit. As much as I trust her, as much have I heard too many bad stories happening in Thailand. So wahr to do my due diligence.

Gf apparently called the police station and they can't tell her a bail amount. Told her to have as much money as she can, so she's asking to transfer her anything between 30-50k. I find this a bit odd, to be honest, but on the other hand, if bail is set by a prosecutor or court, could be the case that police doesn't know. Im also feeling a bit rushed, but again am not sure how fast bail has to be posted. Does anyone have experience how this exactly goes? Definitely thinking about asking for the police report and/or a receipt.

On a side note, what I find interesting is that, apparently, most of you Thai partners are saying I should keep my money. Aren't helping and generosity considered good Thai values? Even in a western relationship I would help in an emergency situation if I can and feel selfish if not doing so.

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » November 9, 2016, 3:16 pm

welovesundays wrote:
She met my family and friends; I met her friends and cousins and was at her house in Bangkok. I am well aware she isn't hi-so at all but from a difficult family with some serious problems. We are far from being a perfect couple and had our amount of fights in the past. But we always found back to each other having an open communication and trying to understand, accept, and/or change.

I actually do not have any doubts trusting her but then there are always (and have always been, which was and is a big issue of mine and a burden for our relationship) these stories we all have heard of, making it difficult to trust. So I'd like to do my due diligence.
Be decisive. You wouldn't have written if you were willing to kiss her goodbye forever over this.

So just give 30K THB and say that's all you have at the minute. Done deal. The cops will accept it or not. It's a big enough amount to matter but small enough to be forgotten if things go bad.

But with meth a.k.a. Yaabaa the troubles with Dad & his girlfriend have likely only begun.

Lucky this wasn't 10 years ago as back then the cops had fun capping anyone they felt like after busting them for ganja or meth. Usually done by a hit team down the road from the station.

JJ

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » November 9, 2016, 3:21 pm

I don't understand, one police don't give bail, courts do. and if you go to court you can get bail money from the sister of the prosecutor, with obviously extra interest every month. she covers your bail, and you pay 10% on top every month.
also 30,000 for Yabba use seems real low. so there's no issue with a farang posting bail here, I don't think they even record who pays it. but if he does test positive again before court date ,its goodbye cash. the other point is that there are some prisoners serving life for possession of just 4 tablets. so it fair to say he knows he will be locked up for a long spell.
easy way to look at it is ,can you afford to lose the 30,000 ? its not a case of trusting her, can you trust her dad ?
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

dezzer111
udonmap.com

Post by dezzer111 » November 9, 2016, 3:32 pm

Keep your dosh in your pocket :-k
"You'll Never Walk Alone"L.F.C.

welovesundays

Post by welovesundays » November 9, 2016, 3:41 pm

I don't trust her dad. Well, I don't even know him. What I heard from my gf, he focused his fatherhood on paying her a nice condo, tuition, and pocket money, until he got himself a new girlfriend he knocked up (and she already brought a child into their relationship) and needed all money for them. Apparently, she's a bad influence on him.

The money is for her to find peace of mind. I don't want to imagine how I'd feel seeing a loved one in trouble and not being able to help.

So I'm prepared to lose that money. That's not an issue. I'm even confident she would pay it back step by step. Just want to make sure this is really for bailing him out. Again, as much as I trust her in general, I've always been overly suspicious simply due to all the bad stories going on. So trying to figure to get information on how this bail out process works, what paperwork there will be etc.

old timer
udonmap.com

Post by old timer » November 9, 2016, 10:47 pm

YCNBS.jpg
OT' s got the same shirt

OT........ \:D/

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » November 10, 2016, 1:12 am

my advice, change your phone number, bin your email and forget about the girl friend and thailand....probably not the answer you were looking for but do you really want to be getting mixed up in this nonsense. If you were married then i'd understand your obligation to help.

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » November 10, 2016, 2:37 am

Maybe it's just the pessimist in me, but I'm smelling a rat here. Being away, and not really KNOWING FIRST HAND what is going on, I'd keep my money in my pocket. Even if it is true, I'd be inclined to just let dad sit for awhile and reflect on his actions. Just my 2 cents worth.
Every day I wake up is a good day.

jimjay
udonmap.com

Post by jimjay » November 10, 2016, 3:45 am

I don't agree with the play it safe guys...

as no Thai girl will use the excuse that her Dad got pulled on Meth charges as an excuse to dupe you out of money because it's a major loss of face and there are millions of better / viable fake excuses out there such as:

"sick relatives", "sick buffalo", "damaged vehicles", "damaged buffalo", "bad land owners", "bad buffalo", "floods", "flooded buffaloes", "accidents", "accidental buffaloes", "theft of their belongings", "stolen buffalos", "gambling debts", "stolen buffalo loans", "unfair loans", "house fire", Burnt buffaloes, "scorched buffaloes", "slightly singed but otherwise Ok buffaloes", "being daft", "corrupt cops", "blackmail", "pregnant sisters", "medical problems", "mental problems", "red problems", "blue problems", "proprems that arose from other proprems" etc etc etc etc etc etc etc.

The fact she paid back vacation money upon vacation return singles her out as one of the rare birds who's legitimate.

Also if she's a stunner especially a geeky sincere kind of stunner that's a plus.

I might be wrong but you explained clearly enough what you had on the table.

JJ

maaka
udonmap.com

Post by maaka » November 10, 2016, 7:42 am

yes court set the bail price, not the police...it can take time as the judge will have to review the case, and depends on his workload...

a minor offense could be 10,000bt,..Yingluck's bail was 30million baht, so can vary....

if papa has minor P offence { small amount for self use } then 30- 50,000 could be in the ball park..

you could ask girlfriend for a copy of police report under the guise that you are interested / worried/ concerned / and fronting the monies, have it translated back home, to avail yourself further...quantity is what I am interested in, and was it for sale or use...

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » November 10, 2016, 11:32 am

Recently 1.million baht was paid in Kid Chuap for a ypung guy caught with 100 ya bah.

All borrowed from friends family etc.

Expect the guy to be back oyt selling asap to pay his debt off and the BIB have 100 to sell again. What goes round still goes round again...

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » November 10, 2016, 1:04 pm

welovesundays wrote:Feel free to discuss this.....Thanks a lot!
i can not tell you about the bail system in thailand. but i'd like to point out the following aspect:

one of the major lessons i have learned so far while living in thailand is the fact, that is is way too easy here to have access to private loans. to get a loan might take your girlfriend maybe an our or two, but definitely not more.

in every thai household there are goods that can be used as a guarantee to get loans, e.g. gold necklace, gold ring, gold bracelet, motorcycle, car, land document, house document etc, in fact so many. given this situation, it would be very very easy for your girlfriend to get a loan for 30-50k thb at an interest rate she would not be suffering too much. this is very common all around thailand.

what i'm trying to say is if your girlfriend is asking you for cash then be alarmed right away. it is indeed very easy for her to help herself.

the other thing is never ever engage with people involved with drugs. first you are welcome to help, but later when times get rough, you might end up in big trouble, if you are not willing to meet their needs anymore .... and there will be many many needs to come ..... a barrel without ground.

as someone else proposed earlier here in this thread > get a new mobile number and a new girlfriend.
that may sound very harsh to you - but that will save you from a lot of trouble.
think twice - good luck to you.

Barney
udonmap.com

Post by Barney » November 10, 2016, 2:41 pm

Drugs like Yabba, meth or whatever the name you want to use is almost number 1 in crimes now within the public domain.
I'll assumed he has been charged.
If he is only charged with possession and a couple of tabs then he will eventually be fined in the court and released.
If he is charged with selling he will do time.
Either way the money being asked now is for the police and not for bail, courts will decide bail,
IMO don't pay anything as it is not going to get him out, as hard as it may seem for your girl and you just let him go through the process of the courts for what ever he was charged with.
If you or your GF start paying now it will never end, and, in the end the result through the courts will be the same.
His house has probably already been searched for other drugs and any meaningful collateral already confiscated.
I haven't mentioned the suspicion of any lawyer on your case trying to help with police before the court case. Just have representation at the court.
Just my opinion.
Good luck. Hope your relationship survives.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » November 10, 2016, 6:23 pm

well he must already be in jail, the police charge you, take you to court where the court decides if you can have bail, if the court grants bail and you have the cash you can go home, and as I said if you don't have the cash there's a lady there that lends the bond and charges 3,000 a month on 30,000, simple. also if you don't take it you can't get bail again until the next hearing which is every 14 days. also and this is a guess , in the end he will be fined 30,000b anyway , so oddly enough theres a good chance you can say good bye to the cash. as said if you could afford to GIVE him the money then up to you
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

welovesundays

Post by welovesundays » November 10, 2016, 9:45 pm

Thanks for all your replies. This is how it ended for now:

Gf and her uncle (dad's bro) first went to the police station this morning. Apparently, they took her dad, his gf and her kids last Friday because neighbors had concerns about the well-being of the kids. Police found the girl taking meth; dad didn't do anything (and, according to my gf, never had) but was busted anyways (my gf said it's not uncommon in Thailand that all at the scene get busted, especially when drugs are involved). Both were locked up at the station and not allowed any calls (according to my gf it was one of the worst police stations in Bangkok), then transfered to prison another day.

After picking up police report and his belongings from the police station, they went to some court to bail him out. 20k THB at the cashier.

Then on to the prison where she got him out this evening, to bring him home and beg him another time to leave that girl.

Ill transfer her some money to cover the rest of the month until her salary is out because that 20k was all she had saved. She'll send me the police report.

Return to “Relationships”