WiFi keeps dropping out

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
pipadoo
udonmap.com

WiFi keeps dropping out

Post by pipadoo » February 10, 2023, 6:12 pm

Until last Wednesday I had no problem with my Dell Inspiron 17 running Windows 10 and watching YouTube videos on Google, Firefox and Edge using my apartment router ( we have 4 to choose from,but I only use one.)
However Thursday I logged on as usual and had a full “ WiFi triangle” but as soon as I attempted to open the YouTube the dreaded “ globe with a small circle & \ in bottom right & “ no internet, secured” error message ( see photos)
I’ve done a lot of network adapter adjustments, various ipconfig flush dns, renew, also netsh windsock reset. Internet protocol v4 ip settings e.g 8888/8844
So would really appreciate some suggestions as to what else I can try to resolve my problem(s)
Thanks for all responses
Attachments
B1BD0EF8-9CA2-45EB-8B41-B6D443B00882.jpeg
B8308177-B516-43C8-A6BF-7CD6D52C126A.jpeg

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Re: WiFi keeps dropping out

Post by Potamoi » February 12, 2023, 8:24 am

Any reason to think the apartment WiFi router you are using is not the reason? WiFi signal may be strong/fine but if the ISP WAN side is down then this could easily happen. For example, my CAT fibre in Nongkhai was so unreliable I bought a dual WAN router and added AIS fibre to enable redundancy. Using a different SSID on the same system (your apartment ISP) may not help. If they have multiple accounts especially with different ISP's then it has a better chance of helping.

I'd be careful of making too many adjustments of a working setup as one may introduce another variable with possible bad settings exasperating the problem making it still not work even when the provider is back up and running. Sounds like you are savvy enough with the CMD line IPCONFIG /release, IPCONFIG /renew and /flushdns so this advice may not be necessary.

Now saying that, W10 does introduce the odd issue when updates break formerly working systems. If there is an update queued, allow that to be completed and reboots often help many strange Windows issues.

If the issue persists, you may want to try:
- Change to a different SSID at apartment
- If they allow viewing the router, check the WAN status. Most admins will not give you the password so this is a longshot.
- Check for updates to W10 and reboot
- Check with others at apartment to see if they have the same issue. If so, contact admin at apartment
- To prove your laptop is okay, take it to another location (different ISP at a coffee shop, whatever that has WiFi)
- If it is determined your WiFi has an issue for sure, you can try to update the driver
- You can buy a WiFi USB dongle fairly cheap to test/replace this
- If you do find your built in existing WiFi adapter is the issue (I doubt it) be sure to disable it in the network settings so the new dongle can work without conflict.

Please let us know how you go and what you did to fix it.
Last edited by Potamoi on February 12, 2023, 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » February 12, 2023, 8:48 am

Did you try this
Polish_20230211_194655476.jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 12, 2023, 8:56 am

From the OP's screen grabs, he does have decent wi-fi signal strength but it looks like it's maybe not connected at the internet end? I would suspect whoever owns the routers ISP account status and/or their hardware. Following potamoi's good advice should see you sorted.

I had recent experience of disappearing wi-fi, including the hardware disappearing from Device Manager as a W10 machine worked through various updates. That was on an HP all-in-one machine that I was clearing out and setting up for one of Mrs tams nephews. Very frustrating when W10 says you need internet to continue but has disabled or uninstalled wi-fi and LAN adapters during the updates! I stopped chasing my tail and just rebooted when it said it was needed and it all came good over a couple or three days.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

pipadoo
udonmap.com

Post by pipadoo » February 12, 2023, 9:25 am

Hi tamada

You have given me another straw to grab if other suggestions don’t cure it
Thanks

pipadoo
udonmap.com

Post by pipadoo » February 12, 2023, 11:22 pm

Hi Potamoi and other replies
The owner has reset and rebooted all routers and now getting much better performance
Really appreciate your taking time to reply and hope I may be able to reciprocate in some future time
Thanks again

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”