W11 - "Access Denied"

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

W11 - "Access Denied"

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 9, 2023, 7:30 am

Last resort, I've been to most every WEB site I could find and followed ALL the instructions. Maybe someone here has the unpublished secret.
I can't access folders in the Documents directory of W11. Got the "Permissions" set, AVAST shut down etc. as seen in the screen shots.
OK, I can access "Music", "Pictures", "Videos" etc. from the root Directory but that's not the point. I'm being denied the fundamental operation of my computer! :evil:

Thank you in advance.
Attachments
Access Denied 3.jpg
Access Denied 2.jpg
Access Denied 1.jpg

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Re: W11 - "Access Denied"

Post by Potamoi » January 9, 2023, 9:49 am

A few questions, Bandung_Dero:
  • Was this after an upgrade to W11 from W10?
  • Are you using a different user account from when you had access?
  • W11 Home or Pro?
  • MS account or local account?
  • Are ALL updates done and installed?
  • Was the drive removed from another PC and installed on this one?
  • Is the W11 install set to "keep files locally only" or use the OneDrive?
  • Did you switch it off then on again? 555
A few comments:
  • When a PC acts strange, check for Windows pending updates. Allowing them to continue and install then reboot helps fix many odd PC issues.
  • The folder sharing in W11 works better on actual directories rather than pointers.
  • If not done already, try this method:
"Right-click on the Start button and choose Computer Management. Expand Local Users and Groups, then open the Users folder. Right-click on Administrator, then tap on Properties. Uncheck the box next to Account is disabled and press the Apply and the OK button in the bottom side"
W11.jpg
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 9, 2023, 2:34 pm

Potamoi wrote:
January 9, 2023, 9:49 am
A few questions, Bandung_Dero:
  • Was this after an upgrade to W11 from W10?
W11 came installed on a new HP NoteBook I bought early last year
  • Are you using a different user account from when you had access?
No (I have never had access)
  • W11 Home or Pro?
Home
  • MS account or local account?
local account
  • Are ALL updates done and installed?
Yes
  • Was the drive removed from another PC and installed on this one?
No
  • Is the W11 install set to "keep files locally only" or use the OneDrive?
I do not use "OneDrive"
  • Did you switch it off then on again? 555
Only once a day - 555

A few comments:
  • When a PC acts strange, check for Windows pending updates. Allowing them to continue and install then reboot helps fix many odd PC issues.
  • The folder sharing in W11 works better on actual directories rather than pointers.
  • If not done already, try this method:
"Right-click on the Start button and choose Computer Management. Expand Local Users and Groups, then open the Users folder. Right-click on Administrator, then tap on Properties. Uncheck the box next to Account is disabled and press the Apply and the OK button in the bottom side"
Thank you for the reply.
Apparently this option is not available in the "Home Version". There is some information here:-
https://www.technospot.net/blogs/how-to ... ss%20enter.
the screen shot "Local Users" is the result I get using the lusrmgr.msc app.
Photo 3 in the OP shows the result I have going via the control Panel.
Attachments
Local Users.jpg
Comp Management.jpg

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 9, 2023, 6:37 pm

That first screen grab (above) says "not to he used with this edition of Windows 10."

Is that really a virgin W11 installation or a cloned/copy of a W11 that was migrated from W10?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » January 9, 2023, 8:22 pm

tamada wrote:
January 9, 2023, 6:37 pm
That first screen grab (above) says "not to he used with this edition of Windows 10."

Is that really a virgin W11 installation or a cloned/copy of a W11 that was migrated from W10?
Yeah comorn Dero sort yer self oot marn .. are tha intruxctions nay in Auxtralain ?

I prefer the Potty reply .. way more techy thingy stuff and exactly my prescription.

DM says tighten the laggy bands n grease yer nuts

DM..
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 10, 2023, 6:56 am

You guys should do some research before posting!
W11 was built on the W10 platform and close (operationally) as I have it on another NoteBook, in saying that there are quite a number of cosmetic changes. I can only assume not all the "Drop Box" messages were edited in the early releases of W11.

My specs show W11 version 21H2 which was released in Oct 2021 and installed into my machine Nov 2011 (I assume post manufacture).
21H2 was the last release of W10 - See screen shots

Edit: Just to add the troublesome folders I have in W11 do not appear in the W10 "Documents" directory???
Attachments
Version Info W10.jpg
Version Info.jpg
Specs.jpg

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » January 10, 2023, 9:35 am

Ah okay, I understand now you never had access to the folders. Without being too cheeky, I wonder about the original install and setup. For reference the WinVer on this upgraded W11 Pro PC I am using is currently: 22H2 (OS Build 2263, 1095) My only other W11 install is on my wifes machine which is W11 Home but was setup with her MS account.

Do you recall how the initial setup went? It likely asked for your MS account to store the digital W11 license.

W11 Home is very hard to install without a MS account first then switching to a local account from what I read. Sounds like some malarkey goings on there. Since its all new, and will not likely loose anything I think I would be inclined to do a fresh install and use a MS account at least at first in order to store the digital OS license (but that is just my preference so you might have other preferences). You may also gain some headway by adding a MS account user name as admin and checking for read/write privileges there. I know many people are opposed to use anything but a local account but I actually find it nice to sync all of my PC desktops favourites and settings between several machines including OneDrive folders.
In any case, more info here on installing without MS account: https://beebom.com/how-create-local-account-windows-11/

One more thought, is bitlocker turned on? That may play strangely with an offline local account particularly if it was installed and on using a MS account then switched to a local account.

Good luck.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 13, 2023, 4:04 pm

Do you recall how the initial setup went? It likely asked for your MS account to store the digital W11 license.
The machine I bought was from "Advice" (a Thai nation, franchised IT provider). I used their online catalogue to select the NoteBook I wanted, it suited my specs, W11 included. I ordered it thru our Ban Dung store and I assume the OS was installed at the supply source = HP ??? They installed other software inc. MS Office 2019 (local & licensed - not 365). I uninstalled a lot of other crap.

Thanks for your help. I've just decided it's been a learning curve and drop the problem = let "sleeping dogs lie"

Come back Windows XP-SP3 all is forgiven!! 55555

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”