Office

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Re: Office

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 17, 2022, 5:47 pm

So at the end of the day you're saying WPS is not subject to user "Fat Fingers"?

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 17, 2022, 6:07 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
November 17, 2022, 5:47 pm
So at the end of the day you're saying WPS is not subject to user "Fat Fingers"?
What's your problem? I made no such statement. Ditto about software failures.

I made a totally accurate and verifiable statement that 90% of spreadsheets have errors. You said that was nonsense. Now you go of on tangents as you are unable to accept the fact that you really don't know what you are talking about.

You might be quite clever in using Excel but that does not make you an IT expert and you obviously know diddely squat about how spreadsheet issues impact on business.

Rather than dig yourself deeper into ground, try to control your impulse to attribute statements to me that I never made and certainly do not agree with

Pure and simple, what I stated about errors in spreadsheets is correct.
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 17, 2022, 6:12 pm

Note from the OP.

I want Office because it has excel.

Ta
tam
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 17, 2022, 6:47 pm

Fair enough Tam. WPS is ok for most, but not for you. You asked for alternatives, I provided one.

How interesting that such a simple topic has some on here thumping their hairy chests rather than simply providing useful inputs
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Post by Potamoi » November 17, 2022, 10:55 pm

tamada wrote:
November 16, 2022, 5:12 pm
Getting a new laptop soon so looking at the options for Microsoft Office as the last legit copy I bought is their 2010 and that's a bit long in the tooth. I will need Word, Excel, PowerPoint as essential with Outlook and Access handy to have.
Anyone with buying and hands on experience here?
Just seeing if I (or anyone else) missed the OP's question. I don't see anything asking for MS Office alternatives just about where and how to buy legit licence(s).
tamada wrote:
November 17, 2022, 12:14 pm
I collaborate with clients who use Office full-Monty and several macro-heavy spreadsheets so having the same tools and compatibility is important, especially working remotely.
Compatibility is clearly important to the OP and web based offers (or possibly ad supported offers?) are not an option. Then there is the fact that downloading MS Office after trying WPS or Apache or Libre or whatever in a real world, mission critical environment may not be possible in 3 metre seas, makes the OP's decision to stick with MS Office a sound one and something we should take into account when making recommendations.

So here we are with the understanding that MS Office is what the OP wants. I've given my two pence with the legit MS Office license links, a discount coupon code and some thoughts on Office 365 subscription complete with actual experience with use and purchases. What is left here is alternative licensing purchase sites or user experiences with the purchase experience and the differing versions of MS Office from where I sit.
tamada wrote:
November 17, 2022, 2:41 pm
Anyone tried any of those Office offers on lazada?
I'd too would be interested in the Lazada purchase experience as well as eBay etc (with links if possible). I'm not sure that I will need any more MS Office licenses' for myself in future but I do build and repair machines for other fellas that may enjoy getting a legit key cheaper than full retail. I have used a few W10 keys from eBay but find the vendors and keys and some of the instructions a bit suspect in a few cases.

Phew, back on track after another slide rule measuring contest.
- MS Office purchase vendor recommendations?
- MS Office version experiences and/or recommendations?
(NOTE: The OP didn't specifically ask for the version stuff but it makes sense hear experiences to make an informed decision for the three licences he requires)
My vote there is still Office 365 as it stays current albeit at a annual cost.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 17, 2022, 11:23 pm

OMG you are one tough audience.

Mr P, may I suggest you look up OPTION in the Oxford dictionary where a listed alternative is the word ALTERNATIVE.

WPS is an alternative to Office. I was trying to be helpful. Sorry if I did not come up to speed with your pedantic interpretation.

Sheesh.

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » November 18, 2022, 12:43 am

Not tough, Whistler, you're dealing with pensioners. The worst that can happen is a soggy teabag thrown in your direction.
Wrap this one up, it's dull.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » November 18, 2022, 12:47 am

Bit late, but i moved to Libre Office to avoid paying an annual fee. I used to have older Office versions, but they do not work on windows 10. A bit basic, but as only for my own, not business use, good enough.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 18, 2022, 3:08 am

Whistler wrote:
November 17, 2022, 11:23 pm
OMG you are one tough audience.

Mr P, may I suggest you look up OPTION in the Oxford dictionary where a listed alternative is the word ALTERNATIVE.

WPS is an alternative to Office. I was trying to be helpful. Sorry if I did not come up to speed with your pedantic interpretation.

Sheesh.
Nope. I don't see how seeking alternatives to Office is either inferred or implied in my OP, only asking about the purchasing options/alternatives I mentioned. No worries, no harm done
Earnest wrote:
November 18, 2022, 12:43 am
Not tough, Whistler, you're dealing with pensioners. The worst that can happen is a soggy teabag thrown in your direction.
All a bit of a hairless chest there Earnest, no?

PS. It's working pensioners if you please.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 18, 2022, 3:15 am

rick wrote:
November 18, 2022, 12:47 am
Bit late, but i moved to Libre Office to avoid paying an annual fee. I used to have older Office versions, but they do not work on windows 10. A bit basic, but as only for my own, not business use, good enough.
Hi rick, thanks for that positive input. I did try Libre for a spell on a home computer when I was working in the US. This was before I qualified for a pension but still couldn't a client to pay for the latest version of Office. Libre did the basics more than adequately but lacked grunt in graphing, especially 3D graphing that had become a feature in excel. I would recommend it for the casual user and students though.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 19, 2022, 5:56 pm

Earnest wrote:
November 18, 2022, 12:43 am
You poor sole!
Have no idea about members here and just like to big note your self with a "Stereo Type" comment. About time you reassess your research into us/me.
Just let me tell you I have never received a single cent from my govt. in fact I still pay income tax every year!

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » November 19, 2022, 6:00 pm

Soul
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » November 19, 2022, 6:41 pm

Earnest wrote:
November 19, 2022, 6:00 pm
Soul
Ernest, he had a spreadsheet of insults, he selected cell C:12 which linked to a macro stating you had no dosh but the error on his spreadsheet actually copied cell G:245 which had some unexplained error like most spreadsheets.

It was either a macro error or fat fingers, who cares? An error is an error and BD is prone to them like all other fallible humans.

One of the primary reasons for spreadsheets failing is the poor structure for data entry, joining different sheets and features a weak command set when writing macros. They are easy and cheap to build but have no referential checks, have no well constructed schemas and have no ability to properly handle errant data.

That is why there are no major applications in the world written with a spreadsheets as the core data management system it is to simple and inadequate.

It is used for baby applications and used far to often when it stretches and breaks, all because of its inherent limitations.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » November 19, 2022, 7:55 pm

What is your takeaway from the responses, tam?

I am a very basic user, with Open Office on my PC, and Libre on my lappy. No real preference of one over the other.

The thread seems to have deteriorated into a case of "my spreadsheet is bigger than yours" 8)

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » November 19, 2022, 8:11 pm

555, spreadsheets are my answer to everything, quick, change the subject!

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 19, 2022, 8:20 pm

Obvious these guys have no idea.
A number of my posts have been deleted.
Embarrassment would encomber them!

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » November 20, 2022, 12:25 am

Yeah, my posts are deleted by Officer IC Udon Map all the time, he's the Captain Bligh to my Fletcher Christian, shipmate.

More spreadsheets, more pivoting!

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”