Security tip for Samsung smartphone users

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
tamada
udonmap.com

Security tip for Samsung smartphone users

Post by tamada » April 30, 2022, 9:58 am

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Potamoi
udonmap.com
Location: Halfway between Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch and Ona-i-Lau

Re: Security tip for Samsung smartphone users

Post by Potamoi » April 30, 2022, 11:51 am

Good point Tam especially for those who are loathed to update their phone software.

To check quickly: Settings, Software Update, Download and Install, It will then tell you the Security Patch level or download the latest update (one may want to be on WiFi for the potentially large data download)
Samsung.jpg
The Forbes article says it should be later than Feb 2022.
I fear the man who drinks water and so remembers this morning what the rest of us said last night
Benjamin Franklin

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to talk and remove all doubt
Maurice Switzer *(assumed)

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 30, 2022, 12:57 pm

I have to admit I have been slack with checking updates on my device, this thread has prompted me to have a look.
Similar to the above I get a message that the software is up to date BUT:-
April 1, 2020. The patch was downloaded June 4, 2020.
I had preselected the updates be done automatically when available if connected to Wifi at 02:00.

I'm guessing me olde 2017 Samsung J7 is no longer supported be it though I see suggestions it is (Google) in Mexico and India. It's been rock solid and I have no intension of getting rid of it over some sort of security scare mongering.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 30, 2022, 1:48 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
April 30, 2022, 12:57 pm
I have to admit I have been slack with checking updates on my device, this thread has prompted me to have a look.
Similar to the above I get a message that the software is up to date BUT:-
April 1, 2020. The patch was downloaded June 4, 2020.
I had preselected the updates be done automatically when available if connected to Wifi at 02:00.

I'm guessing me olde 2017 Samsung J7 is no longer supported be it though I see suggestions it is (Google) in Mexico and India. It's been rock solid and I have no intension of getting rid of it over some sort of security scare mongering.
Yup BD, it looks like it's for the newer ones running Android 9 and higher. Your old bean can will be Android 5.1 to 7.1.1 so it should be safe enough left on the nightstand where they can only listen to your snoring.

It's hard to keep up with all the models in the Samsung range though. Like the Toyota of smartphones.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » April 30, 2022, 4:14 pm

tamada wrote:
April 30, 2022, 1:48 pm

Yup BD, it looks like it's for the newer ones running Android 9 and higher. Your old bean can will be Android 5.1 to 7.1.1 so it should be safe enough left on the nightstand where they can only listen to your snoring.
2 things:- Android 8.1.0, and not possible to hear me snoring over Mrs Dero and Daughter (2 rooms away). AMAZING how much noise can come out of those pert, pretty little noses! :shock:
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”