Being dragged into the 21st Century

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Being dragged into the 21st Century

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 5, 2022, 3:17 pm

This morning I received an email from Google basically telling me I can't use my old MS Outlook application any more (30th May 2022) as a gmail client. OK not unexpected.
After looking at MS Office 2021 and 365 I decided to buy 2021 Pro (don't like this cloud thingy).
Q1:- Is the later versions of Outlook's *.pst files compatable with older versions and visa versa?
@jackspratt is going to love this, my olde backup PC still runs Xp SP3 and Office 2007 --- and still going strong.
Q2:- When I get to Aus. later this year I intend to replace my 6yo NoteBook. Are there any hassles transferring a late MS Office package license from one PC to another?

Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Re: Being dragged into the 21st Century

Post by jackspratt » March 5, 2022, 3:38 pm

You should also look into replacing the piano wire with some Cat6 network cable.

I'm sure you would see a massive performance boost - speed and reliability - from the Heinz cans. 8)

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » March 5, 2022, 8:34 pm

Don't use Outlook so can't answer Q1, but you might have problem with the transfer,Q2, as Microsoft keeps track of PC'S and MAY not accept a new one if License was for one laptop.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 11, 2022, 5:33 pm

Well, firstly I finished up buying a new W11, HP Notebook from Advice here in Ban Dung, arrived this morning. Blow me down if it didn't come with a fully installed and licensed 2019 version of MS Office.
1st thing I attacked was Outlook. Creates a default MAIL data file connected easily to gmail BUT also allows one to link olde *.pst files = happy days. My whole life is in them going back to the Lotus 123 days. Jack will remember Dos 3.1 and steam power 55555. Everything has been very easy thus far, so liking W11.

Now I have MS Office 2019 fully operational so assume I can update it with the purchased copy of Office 2021 which has not been activated yet,

Thanks for the replies.
Last edited by Bandung_Dero on March 11, 2022, 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » March 11, 2022, 5:37 pm

Welcome to the 21st Century!
I've been using Windows 11 for several months.....no issues at all. Updates regularly.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » March 11, 2022, 5:44 pm

I managed to get Windows 7 up and running but had to close six of them when the tax bill arrived

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » March 13, 2022, 11:44 am

Most things are going fine accept for my fat fingers and just hit the 1st stumbling block:-

I'm still awaiting delivery of some interface hardware to my old NoteBook so currently copying data files via an external HDD. It's 1TB partitioned into 3 separate drives, connects to the old machine perfectly however only the 1st partition is visible in the new HP W11 the rest of the drive is shown as "unallocated" in Disk Management. I found and installed an updated driver into the new HP but it didn't help! It's a bit of a nuisance as all my archived and backed up data is in the 2nd partition so I have to copy it to the 1st then copy it to the new HP.

Any ideas?

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”