AIS fiber

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
tamada
udonmap.com

AIS fiber

Post by tamada » February 25, 2022, 12:22 pm

Anyone in the house signed up with AIS Fiber recently?

I am looking for an alternative/backup for my new man cave. We have 3BB in the house, very reliable and the very few times there's been a problem, their hotline and service has been excellent. My modem and routers are currently in the master bedroom where their WiFi manages to cover the house. If I relocate them to the man cave so I can have the only wired LAN connection, i would need to faff with WiFi repeaters. Apart from the issues of running a LAN cable from the MBR to the outhouse... er, man cave, maybe having my own, dedicated AIS service is easier?

So, any opinions and options including AIS experience, speeds and costs much appreciated.

Ta
tam

'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Re: AIS fiber

Post by samster » February 25, 2022, 3:11 pm

tamada wrote:
February 25, 2022, 12:22 pm
Anyone in the house signed up with AIS Fiber recently?

I am looking for an alternative/backup for my new man cave. We have 3BB in the house, very reliable and the very few times there's been a problem, their hotline and service has been excellent. My modem and routers are currently in the master bedroom where their WiFi manages to cover the house. If I relocate them to the man cave so I can have the only wired LAN connection, i would need to faff with WiFi repeaters. Apart from the issues of running a LAN cable from the MBR to the outhouse... er, man cave, maybe having my own, dedicated AIS service is easier?

So, any opinions and options including AIS experience, speeds and costs much appreciated.

Ta
tam
All those technical terms mean nothing to a girl like me who only deals in knitting and fluffy kittens so, cant comment on LAN, MBR, repeaters etc but, I did have AIS wifi installed when I moved into my house in November. Dont know what fibre is so, not sure if its that but presumably is??

Didnt understand a thing the girl was trying to sell me in the shop but settled for a package that gave speeds of 400 something or others. Given that my wifi in UK was usually around 100, I thought that sounded good for about THB 400 per month

We have a big 2 storey house and speeds have been excellent in the past 4 months - I test regularly and get 350 + of whatever denomination constitutes internet speed. The thing with the antenna is in the main bedroom upstairs and wifi is strong throughout the home and garden.

Hope this helps :D

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 25, 2022, 3:29 pm

^ Sounds like you and statto may have studied Internet 101 together. :D

Can't comment on AIS as I have True fibre.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » February 25, 2022, 4:04 pm

Jees Tam, you must have a monumental home, I know my 3BB Wifi signal is good for at least 50 metres without boosters and through any number of walls and 65 metres through one wall.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 25, 2022, 4:35 pm

Bandung_Dero wrote:
February 25, 2022, 4:04 pm
Jees Tam, you must have a monumental home, I know my 3BB Wifi signal is good for at least 50 metres without boosters and through any number of walls and 65 metres through one wall.
It's not monumental, just a pretty big house.

With a moat.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » February 25, 2022, 4:44 pm

we did have 3bb and true after and now ais what is a fresh breath of air , i did connect a lan cable to our daughter home in the garden and installed their own router there , in the new ais router you have the ability to split the wifi connections in to 4 ways with 4 different passwords , 2.4G and 5g , 4 channel each , do not forget for home use if not same room as router use 2.4G , not 5G what is not able very well passing trough obstructions , walls/windows..., we have opted for a 500/500 u/download combination , that also you can change to your preferences , less or more down-upload , we pay fiber 599 + vat = 641 baht monthly ...., they have very good service too ....as info ;)

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 25, 2022, 5:27 pm

kopkei wrote:
February 25, 2022, 4:44 pm
we did have 3bb and true after and now ais what is a fresh breath of air , i did connect a lan cable to our daughter home in the garden and installed their own router there , in the new ais router you have the ability to split the wifi connections in to 4 ways with 4 different passwords , 2.4G and 5g , 4 channel each , do not forget for home use if not same room as router use 2.4G , not 5G what is not able very well passing trough obstructions , walls/windows..., we have opted for a 500/500 u/download combination , that also you can change to your preferences , less or more down-upload , we pay fiber 599 + vat = 641 baht monthly ...., they have very good service too ....as info ;)
Thanks for that. I already have limited the access to our current 5G WiFi to Mrs tam and I while the rest of the clan share 2.4G as best they can. Also still have the school week 10 pm to 6 am cut off on the 2.4G so the schoolkids would get some bloody sleep!

Got a flyer in the mailbox that offers AIS Fiber 1000/300 for 599+. Also has 400/50 for 399+ and a 10Gb data SIM. This with their SuperMESH routers. There's also some add-on called AIS Playbox but not too interested in that.

Is the account in your name? When we relocated back here, the only way 3BB would allow the account in my name was to pay a year up front. I wanted to have the ability to deal direct or disconnect if I had any issues with their service but it's been all good. Only the locals get away with one month down sign up. I wonder if AIS are the same?
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » February 25, 2022, 8:23 pm

Have had AIS for at least 5 years. Rarely any problems. The playbox is useful, provides lots of thai channels and a few in English, although mainly just use myself for News (has CNN, CNA, France 24, DW news, Aljazeera and a couple of others). Also get my Netflix via the playbox. Some additional channels are subscription, but not really anything worth paying for (for me).

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 25, 2022, 9:59 pm

rick wrote:
February 25, 2022, 8:23 pm
Have had AIS for at least 5 years. Rarely any problems. The playbox is useful, provides lots of thai channels and a few in English, although mainly just use myself for News (has CNN, CNA, France 24, DW news, Aljazeera and a couple of others). Also get my Netflix via the playbox. Some additional channels are subscription, but not really anything worth paying for (for me).
Cheers rick. Apart from CNN which I wouldn't watch much anyway, I get most of those channels on Mrs tam's Home Cable hookup but I just noticed their Aljazeera has disappeared again.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » February 26, 2022, 2:40 am

tamada wrote:
February 25, 2022, 5:27 pm

Also has 400/50 for 399+ and a 10Gb data SIM. This with their SuperMESH routers.

Is the account in your name? When we relocated back here, the only way 3BB would allow the account in my name was to pay a year up front. I wanted to have the ability to deal direct or disconnect if I had any issues with their service but it's been all good. Only the locals get away with one month down sign up. I wonder if AIS are the same?
That's the one I have. Its excellent.

The account is in my name and we pay monthly.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 26, 2022, 9:31 am

samster wrote:
February 26, 2022, 2:40 am
tamada wrote:
February 25, 2022, 5:27 pm

Also has 400/50 for 399+ and a 10Gb data SIM. This with their SuperMESH routers.

That's the one I have. Its excellent.

The account is in my name and we pay monthly.
Brilliant, cheers.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”