Internet providers

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
petl
udonmap.com

Internet providers

Post by petl » February 2, 2022, 7:53 am

I'm located in Thung Fon 70km East of Udon. I have a fairly new TOT Fibre internet connection but despite endless calls and requests TOT seem unable or not interested to provide a stable and reliable service. I'm on the discounted 100/100 scheme,is the service likely to improve if I upgrade? OK to pay more if I get more.
Or better to try AIS or 3BB fibre? Does anyone have some comparative info? Thanks.

glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Internet providers

Post by glalt » February 2, 2022, 9:21 am

I think it must depend on where you are at. I used True for a couple years and finally got so disgusted that I trashed my three True SIM cards. They always blamed my equipment but they could not explain why AIS worked with no problems. When TOT ran their cable through my small village, I signed up and have been well satisfied. It failed twice and they were here the next day to repair the cable. The problem was the village handyman dropped tree limbs and tore the cable in half.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 2, 2022, 9:50 am

petl wrote:
February 2, 2022, 7:53 am
I'm located in Thung Fon 70km East of Udon. I have a fairly new TOT Fibre internet connection but despite endless calls and requests TOT seem unable or not interested to provide a stable and reliable service. I'm on the discounted 100/100 scheme,is the service likely to improve if I upgrade? OK to pay more if I get more.
Or better to try AIS or 3BB fibre? Does anyone have some comparative info? Thanks.
What are the neighbors using?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 2, 2022, 10:52 am

So many choices abound these days, I am somewhat sur[prised at the poor TOT experience, i only cancelled my TOT when I upgraded my True system which came with 24/7 Internet .

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 2, 2022, 11:47 am

I don't think changing your speed plan will make any difference to the service.

tam is on the money - see what others around you in the town are using, and their experience. Thung Fon is a reasonable size, and should have good access from all the providers.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 2, 2022, 12:43 pm

Yes, I've had a pretty good experience with TOT fibre, same 100/100 as petl, with very few times I couldn't access, but the link was down for a complete day recently, which was a pain. I discovered two links at nearby family houses were also out. When the technicians came next day, one was up a ladder twiddling with a box outside, but the two modems/routers in all three houses were changed for single, do-it-all boxes. I gained the impression that rather than an actual fault near me,there had been some kind of system change(although no warning of no access from TOT to my knowledge), as the technicians said they had 20 houses to visit.
No idea if the above might be relevant to you, petl. Your problems seem to be with reliability, rather than your use requiring more speed. Yoy're quite a way out, so I don't imagine technicians are fighting to drive there.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 2, 2022, 2:07 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
February 2, 2022, 12:43 pm
Yes, I've had a pretty good experience with TOT fibre, same 100/100 as petl, with very few times I couldn't access, but the link was down for a complete day recently, which was a pain. I discovered two links at nearby family houses were also out. When the technicians came next day, one was up a ladder twiddling with a box outside, but the two modems/routers in all three houses were changed for single, do-it-all boxes. I gained the impression that rather than an actual fault near me,there had been some kind of system change(although no warning of no access from TOT to my knowledge), as the technicians said they had 20 houses to visit.
No idea if the above might be relevant to you, petl. Your problems seem to be with reliability, rather than your use requiring more speed. Yoy're quite a way out, so I don't imagine technicians are fighting to drive there.
Some time ago, TOT swapped out routers for everyone in our area as well. When it was our turn in the barrel, the internet was out for everyone for a day or two.
I don't know what you're paying for 100/100 with TOT, but I'm getting 300/300 for 490 Baht per month.....and I'm pretty sure I could go into the TOT office and up the speed to 400 or 500 for the same price. But with what I'm getting, I don't see the need to do it. TOT has increased the speed for customers multiple times over the past few years, without increasing the monthly price. But it requires a 5 minute stop at the office.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 2, 2022, 2:26 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
February 2, 2022, 10:52 am
So many choices abound these days, I am somewhat sur[prised at the poor TOT experience, i only cancelled my TOT when I upgraded my True system which came with 24/7 Internet .
The internet's ALWAYS been 24/7, no?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » February 2, 2022, 4:03 pm

True sent three high pressure salesmen to the house to get my wife to sign up for their new package. She nearly signed up because the package gave you TV and cell phone service. I told her that I was VERY happy with TOT and told her the package was not as good as it sounded. Both cell phone and TV were limited and not worth changing to True. After she talked to neighbors who had changed, I never hear any more about changing.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 3, 2022, 5:31 am

parrot wrote:
February 2, 2022, 2:07 pm
I don't know what you're paying for 100/100 with TOT, but I'm getting 300/300 for 490 Baht per month.....and I'm pretty sure I could go into the TOT office and up the speed to 400 or 500 for the same price. But with what I'm getting, I don't see the need to do it. TOT has increased the speed for customers multiple times over the past few years, without increasing the monthly price. But it requires a 5 minute stop at the office.
290 baht for 100/100, which is adequate for me. I seem to recall it was supposed to be a 6 month special offer, but they've never returned to a higher price. With Covid and the increased need of e.g. schoolkids working from home, it seems prices are generally being kept down anyway.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 3, 2022, 6:38 am

tamada wrote:
February 2, 2022, 2:26 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
Yes TAM but some years ago lowered the speed in the wee hours, for reasons only available in double speak, now that unhappy situation does not occur.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 3, 2022, 5:53 pm

Wife had cause to call in to TOT today,perhaps that should be NT now and I asked her to check the deals. See attached leaflet.
I've upp'd my speed to 300/300 for the same price of 290 baht per month, that's for the internet link,my terminology, although I pay another 100 baht for a fixed telephone line.
Seems you could make a massive saving :lol: Parrot, or paying the same, obtain 600/600.
I hope the lady customer asst, got it right - that the higher speed is available in Phen. The increase is not reflected in a speed test yet, but it usually takes the guy who pushes the buttons, a day to react.
Internet.pdf
(820.76 KiB) Downloaded 121 times

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » February 3, 2022, 6:43 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
February 3, 2022, 5:53 pm
Seems you could make a massive saving :lol: Parrot, or paying the same, obtain 600/600.
Thanks for that info. I can't speak for countries other than the US.......but in a major city in Texas, $55 a month will get you 'up to' 50mbps/month with ATT, 1TB worth of data. Charges apply after that. Cell phone charges are likewise multiple times higher there than here.

thewatchman
udonmap.com

Post by thewatchman » February 3, 2022, 8:06 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
February 3, 2022, 6:38 am
tamada wrote:
February 2, 2022, 2:26 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
Yes TAM but some years ago lowered the speed in the wee hours, for reasons only available in double speak, now that unhappy situation does not occur.
KP,YOUR NUTS
laughing at the occasional visitor and failed taxi drivers

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » February 5, 2022, 9:08 am

when we first started with internet 20 years ago baan noak , it was TOT and was a disaster connection and service
when we moved to udon we changed to 3BB , not happy also , many outages and also bad service (still no fiber at the time ) , so we switched to true fiber (supposedly?) , did have many problems too with a moderate service , we found out that it was half fiber ? , main lines fiber ,connections to the home coaxial cable :mad: , as they could not provide real fiber in our area we switched to AIS fiber , 599 baht /500/500 connection , best internet ever with a good service center helping you out in 24h , (mostly very quickly) and good english speaking operators and technicians ...so depending of where you stay , you will have to look which providers are available in your area , if AIS fiber is one of them i would not hesitate to contact them ...good luck ... ;)

petl
udonmap.com

Post by petl » February 6, 2022, 12:28 pm

Brian, many thanks for the TOT brochure. Is it still current? Thanks.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 6, 2022, 12:57 pm

petl wrote:
February 6, 2022, 12:28 pm
Brian, many thanks for the TOT brochure. Is it still current? Thanks.
Yes, I've already increased my speed for same as what I'm paying. I should have mentioned that the other side of the leaflet indicates the offer lasts until the end of April. Probably a good idea to take your last bill with you.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”