Wifi service providers

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Wifi service providers

Post by stattointhailand » October 25, 2021, 1:11 pm

can anyone offer me any advice please, as you are probably aware me and IT are not the best of bedmates.
I currently have TOT was 3BB. I have always had fairly slow response times on phone/laptop and every time I complained they sent a guy who either changed the box/wireing or something, did a speed check using TOT site and said it was working ok. Every time I did a check using a "Non TOT" speedchecker (found from google) my speed varies massivly minute by minute. Now the recently purchased Android TV wont play half the channels and those it does keep freezing so I was thinking about getting a new ISP to see if anything improves ..... Any advice (apart from go back to reading low tech books)

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Wifi service providers

Post by parrot » October 25, 2021, 1:40 pm

You might want to have someone bring 'their' laptop to your house to check things out. If yours is gummed up (old, dead gecko, dusk, low memory, etc), you won't solve anything with a new provider.

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » October 25, 2021, 1:55 pm

This laptop was running as slowly on its first day out of the box about 12 months ago.
I can cope with slow laptop (closer to my speed of working :lol: )but the TV is frustrating

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » October 25, 2021, 2:15 pm

3BB - 631.3 Baht option works for me out here in the Rice paddies. I stream FuboTV from the USA via Express VPN with very few stutters, the missus is watching soaps and who knows what the step daughter is doing on her phone all through the one Wifi connection.

Getting a constant 40 Mbps according to this site:-
https://www.speedtest.net/
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 25, 2021, 4:07 pm

The starting point is - what type of internet connection do you have?

If it is a wired connection, and you are not sure what type, the make and model of the modem/router will probably be sufficient to work it out.

You could also tell us what plan you have with TOT eg cost/month, notional download and upload speeds, and data allowance.

Also, the make and model of the TV.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 26, 2021, 12:49 am

Ditch TOT. Anything that has "telephone" in their trading name needs consigning to the place as Hargreaves "Spinning Jenny" and Bairds "Televisor".

Chances are you are already getting excellent service on your AIS mobile phone so give their fiber optic service a whirl.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » October 26, 2021, 7:21 am

I used to have TOT for my landlines as well as as Fibre Optic, however they were a few years ago expensive and NEVER informed me of newer deals which provided more for less.
TRUE used to be my TV provider but after problems with the satellite, I moved to True Fibre at no cost and enjoyed TV and Wi-fi in the same package. I cancelled my TOT Fibre Optic but kept the landlines which TOT ceased / dumped last year, so just have Mobile and True now, quite happy with both .

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » October 26, 2021, 10:52 am

Since 2021 TOT PCL become National Telecom Public Company Limited after merger with CAT Telecom.

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » October 26, 2021, 10:59 am

stattointhailand wrote:
October 25, 2021, 1:11 pm
Now the recently purchased Android TV wont play half the channels and those it does keep freezing so I was thinking about getting a new ISP to see if anything improves ..... Any advice (apart from go back to reading low tech books)
I've got TOT Fiber optic and the up/down speeds are about 200-300Mbps for an account rated at 500Mbps. It depends how far we are from the source so best they can do. 200Mbps would be fine for Android TV but it depends on how you connect your Android to the router (always choose the best speeds Wifi signal 5Ghz) or cable and then you still might get buffer, whereas if you just turn on a paid VPN which is good to have anyway, the buffering will stop. That's my experience anyway.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”