Second hand computers

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
glalt
udonmap.com

Second hand computers

Post by glalt » August 27, 2021, 1:09 pm

Here at home I use a Dell Precision T1700 that I bought new in 2015. It has been trouble free. At my condo, I have a cheap HP that is glitchy and VERY slow. I looked on BahtSold for a second hand computer to replace the one at my condo. I found an HP ProDesk for 2,800 baht. I looked it up on the Internet and found that it has an i5 4670 processor and 8 GB of ram plus Windows 10 Pro. For 2,800 baht ($87 dollars) I decided that I couldn't get hurt very bad. I received it a couple days ago. I unhooked the Dell and hooked up the HP ProDesk. Everything works and I was amazed that is faster than my Dell. Now the Dell is going to the condo and I'm keeping the HP at home.

Sometimes I get lucky but not very often with second hand things. I had planned to install an SSD in the HP but this hard drive is faster than the SSD in the Dell. I'm very happy with my new (old) computer.

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Second hand computers

Post by tamada » August 27, 2021, 1:26 pm

There are some bargains on lazada with refurbished ex-corporate desktops and laptops. Last I looked there was a load of Fujitsu machines up for grabs at very reasonable prices. Great for a backup or, per glalt's needs, a low-cost upgrade. As he suggests, go to the manufacturers website and get some details on the specs just in case the one of the web isn't maxed out on memory and other add-ons. Also look at reviews to see if there's any lemons out there.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 27, 2021, 1:36 pm

The seller verified the information that I had and told me the machine worked well. He even shipped the computer COD and told me to check it out before I paid. I didn't want to delay the Kerry driver so I didn't bother to even unpack it. I expected to pay for the shipment but paid the 2,800 baht with no other charge.

scooter
udonmap.com

Post by scooter » August 28, 2021, 9:00 am

Congrats! Sounds like an honest seller - and an excellent cabinet, too.
Of interest, do you know how many HDD slots there are? I need (well, probably don't really "need", but t'would be nice to have...) an extra PC to use as a back-up item - this sounds like it could do the job quite nicely.

Ta - and good luck with your new toy!

Cheers

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 28, 2021, 9:16 am

I did take the cover off and there is another open bay for a second hard drive, so it would be easy to install. The existing hard drive is 500 GB so plenty of room already. The Dell uses a 250 GB SSD for the main drive and it is less than half filled. I used the original 500 GB hard drive for a backup even though I normally use one of several USB hard drives that I already have.

scooter
udonmap.com

Post by scooter » August 28, 2021, 11:15 am

Thanks for the info, sounds like a good setup you have. I'll later try and contact the seller to see if he has any more cabinets. Oh yeah, it's the weekend, so maybe will have to wait until Monday.

cheers

scooter
udonmap.com

Post by scooter » August 29, 2021, 6:23 am

Managed to contact the seller - he only had the one HP Pro, the one you'd bought. No big deal, as I'm in no hurry to get an extra PC. For anyone else interested, the seller's going to advertise a 2nd hand Dell PC (cabinet) on BahtSold in the coming week - cheap, too! Looks very good, spec-wise, though I'm not a fan of Dell, so not interested in buying.

Cheers

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » August 29, 2021, 11:10 am

Can't seem to get onto BahtSold site...... www.bahtsold.com ..... ???

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » August 29, 2021, 12:08 pm

scooter wrote:
August 29, 2021, 6:23 am
Managed to contact the seller - he only had the one HP Pro, the one you'd bought. No big deal, as I'm in no hurry to get an extra PC. For anyone else interested, the seller's going to advertise a 2nd hand Dell PC (cabinet) on BahtSold in the coming week - cheap, too! Looks very good, spec-wise, though I'm not a fan of Dell, so not interested in buying.

Cheers
I bought my Dell Precision in 2015 and it is still working fine, although not quite as fast as the HP. Any machine that has been trouble free for six years, can't be all bad. Dell support is really good and they support older machines. HP also has good support but Dells's is a bit better. Both support updates.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » September 1, 2021, 12:19 am

Bought a 2nd hand desktop on shoppee about April. Was fed uo wirh my laptops dying after 2-3 years, usually the repairers cannot find the fault or their fix doesn't last long - probably degrade due to the heat. Anyway, 4,500 baht, 20 " screen (new!) 8 GB nd all the usual peripherals. Only issue was the software came up in Thai and it was difficult to navigate menus in Thai to change it. Daughter could help a bit but only 9 years old. Ex-corporate.

If anything does go wrong, much easier to repair and doesn't get as hot.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » September 1, 2021, 3:11 am

With Windows 11's new security being based on hardware that's built into newer motherboards, there's a lot of motherboards that were built before 2018 that cannot support this feature. Although MS have recently softened their stance and suggest that W11 will run on older machines, they just won't get any updates or support.

There may be a bit of a surge of nearly-new computers on the second-hand market as the ardent W11 user has to buy new rather than just upgrade a machine.

I will stick with W10 for now as I am sure W11 will have all the same birthing issues as Me had before XP and W8 had before W10.
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » September 1, 2021, 3:48 am

ok i figured it out , my laptop has been trying to install w11, trouble is my acer is from 2008 :lol: battery packed up years ago and as it was so old i never bothered replacing it, mind you 13 years out of a laptop isn't bad, i recon it still has a few more years left in it :lol:
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » September 1, 2021, 10:54 am

I have had a number of laptops over the years and every one of has had serious problems, mainly main board failures. A Think Pad had two mainboard failures, the first was repaired under warranty. It took a couple weeks for it to be repaired. The second time, once I got an repair estimate, I decided to scrap it. I bought my wife an Acer laptop. Other than having to replace the keyboard, it has been OK although it now rarely gets used. Carrying the laptop around is still a chore because of the size and weight. I bought an expensive Huawei tablet that has been great and easy to carry. The tablet has exceptional speakers and I no longer have to carry USB speakers for the laptop.

I'm firmly a desktop fan. Easy to upgrade and they seem to last many years without problems. You normally get what you paid for. For example, I have a cheap HP desktop at my condo. It is a pain, needs a lot of tinkering and very slow. My next trip to the condo I will replace it with my reliable Dell and keep the new (old) HP at home. Since I am not a gamer, I don't need a super high tech fast computer. A quality desktop for at home and the condo and the tablet for traveling works for me. I also still have an ancient HP Netbook that has been trouble free but VERY slow. The size and weight makes it easier to carry around than a laptop.

Yes, I do like my toys but only quality toys. The one exception is Apple products. WAY overpriced. Maybe dependable although my wife always seems to have problems with her iPhone 11.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » September 1, 2021, 2:38 pm

I bought a 3 month old Apple Watch (effectively a mini computer) on Facebook marketplace for a bargain price.
Bunged the serial number into My Apple & saw it was guaranteed until 9th October.

Last week it started only measuring my heart BPM intermittently so I struck up a conversation with on line chat. After I’d fought through the usual turn it off & on, re-pair with phone etc which I’d already done, I was told they’d need to speak to me in person so I took a call. The agent was allegedly in Bangkok but I soon established they were in the US on night shift. After confirming I’d done everything asked on chat & explaining Udon Thani wasn’t in fact a country they arranged for me to drop off the watch at I-Care in Central which I duly did. They said 7-10 days for repair but Monday afternoon, 3 days, I got a call to say they were replacing my watch with a shiny new one with another year guarantee from yesterday. Nice 👍
Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 18, 2021, 4:08 pm

Both my Dell Precision and the HP ProDesk are probably faster and more reliable than many new computers. Unfortunately neither is supported by Microsoft for Windows 11.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » October 18, 2021, 8:21 pm

glalt wrote:
October 18, 2021, 4:08 pm
Both my Dell Precision and the HP ProDesk are probably faster and more reliable than many new computers.
What leads you to that conclusion, glalt?

Given that you say neither are suitable for W11 upgrade, we can assume they are pretty old technology. In my experience, computer technology only increases in power and reliability as it gets newer.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 18, 2021, 10:01 pm

i Bought my wife a new all in one HP and it is MUCH slower than my old machines. My old computers have been trouble free and are fast enough for me.

bluejets
udonmap.com

Post by bluejets » October 19, 2021, 4:55 am

........................ after all, how fast can you type. :D :D

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » October 19, 2021, 9:03 am

bluejets wrote:
October 19, 2021, 4:55 am
........................ after all, how fast can you type. :D :D
LOL!, Yes I am a hunt and peck typist. I base my opinion on the fact that my old Dell Precision is probably about 7 years old (bought new) and has NEVER had a problem. The only alteration was that I installed an SSD. The latest HP ProDesk has added RAM from a a newer scrapped cheaper HP that the main board died. It how has 16 MB of RAM. My Jomtien condo still has a newer cheaper glitchy HP that will be replaced with either the old Dell or the old HP. Which one goes down there is a coin toss. Both machines are quite fast. The Dell boots a little faster probably because of the SSD. It has 8 GB of RAM. I'm by no means a techie but I do know how to change drives and add RAM. It's easy with desk top machines.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » October 19, 2021, 11:55 am

glalt wrote:
October 18, 2021, 10:01 pm
i Bought my wife a new all in one HP and it is MUCH slower than my old machines. My old computers have been trouble free and are fast enough for me.
Without referencing CPU type/speed, dynamic storage type, available RAM and whatever utilities you are using to 'compare' these machines, I guess we have to take your word for it. However, I am not surprised since all-in-one machines tend to be built to a lower spec than desktops.

https://www.quora.com/Are-all-in-one-PC ... n-desktops
~Reinhold Messner~

~Louise Perica~

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”