Disposing of old computers

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Disposing of old computers

Post by Old Grumpy » June 10, 2021, 4:50 pm

I have got two tower computers and a lap top circa98 that I don't want any more but I don't know how to dispose of them, safely. What I am frightened of is there may be some information contained therein that might be extracted by someone that is still current to me today, credit card details are one concern .How do I make them so unserviceable so that couldn't happen, a big hammer comes to mind but on what . Any advice would be welcome .

Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

glalt
udonmap.com

Re: Disposing of old computers

Post by glalt » June 10, 2021, 5:11 pm

Any information remaining on a computer would be on the hard drive. They are quite easy to take out. The big hammer would easily destroy the hard drive without damaging the rest of the computer.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » June 10, 2021, 5:29 pm

As for me:- Had a BIG cleanout a week ago = 20 years worth of olde hardware (including a $AUD 800.00 video card @jackspratt bought back for me years ago).
Wanted to take the whole lot down to our local tip, but NO, step daughter stacked it all out the front and sold in hours.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » June 10, 2021, 5:45 pm

Watching a few "How to remove/upgrade your HD" videos on YouTube should give you an idea on how to remove them from the towers. No major skills or tools required. You can either keep them or smash them with the wife's ball-peen hammer.

Removing a HD from a laptop depends on the make and model. Some more expensive ones have easily accessible HD's while cheaper ones are more like a clamshell and need a fair bit of buggering about with. Once again, searching on YouTube with the specific laptop model, ie. "Upgrade HD Acer Aspire E5-523" will yield the answers.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”