iPhone vs the others

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: iPhone vs the others

Post by Niggly » March 18, 2021, 9:36 pm

Apple Music had 50 million songs in December 2020 🎵🎶🎵🎶

EDIT
Reading this again it looks like I'm selling Apple 😂.
I'm not

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 12, 2021, 9:17 am

After several weeks of using the new iPhone, I have decided that it is certainly not worth the high price. Battery life is not nearly as good as Android phones. Managing the phone and applications is convoluted to say the least. Apple tries to be all things for all people. Usually all the automatic functions do is eat the battery. I have no idea how long this phone will last, BUT, I won't buy another one.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » April 12, 2021, 10:34 am

glalt wrote:
April 12, 2021, 9:17 am
After several weeks of using the new iPhone, I have decided that it is certainly not worth the high price. Battery life is not nearly as good as Android phones. Managing the phone and applications is convoluted to say the least. Apple tries to be all things for all people. Usually all the automatic functions do is eat the battery. I have no idea how long this phone will last, BUT, I won't buy another one.
Good update there glalt, thanks. Not totally unexpected if prior experience has been exclusively gained on android. Mrs tam didn't rate her one before she lost it. The only active apple user in our home will be 4 years old in June so we we'll need to wait a while for his review.

However, that's not a detraction of what it does offer those who do swear by them. Same as there are those who swear by Apple versus MS versus Linux when it comes to computers. Pretty much your primary computer use will dictate what platform you prefer to run on it while the chosen platform's idiosyncrasies will mold that usage.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 12, 2021, 11:00 am

^ yeah, wot ‘e said.

Funnily enough, I’ve just got an Apple Watch & I love it 😂

With regards to computer OS, I always used Windows as that was the system at work. When I left, I took the plunge & bought a MacBook but I was unsure if I’d get on with it so installed something called Parallels which lets me run Windows 10 if I was getting out of my depth. I hardly ever need it now using IOS exclusively. There is just one program on Windows 10 I use about once a week because the equivalent isn’t available on Apple (it’s actually not supported on Windows any more either)

Don’t suppose your IPhone X is going cheap now is it? 🤓

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 12, 2021, 12:44 pm

No fire sale on the phone. I bought it and will use it until it dies. Phone calls work well and the camera is great, other than that I really don't use much else. Email also works OK.

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 12, 2021, 12:57 pm

I would guess that people who cut their teeth on Apple would be hesitant to change to Android or Windows. I have an iPod that is a great little device. Unfortunately I swear a lot trying to manage it with iTunes. Apple certainly has their own ways to do things.

Whistler
udonmap.com

Post by Whistler » April 12, 2021, 4:36 pm

For people who have low computer skills and those that do not use a computer for commercial tasks like maintaining a lot of data, the the Apple systems are a reasonable choice.

Apple is pretty hopeless when a computer is used for commercial applications, its file system is awful and it is inflexible.

Horses for courses
I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 21, 2021, 10:03 pm

After even more time using the iPhone, I have no idea why people would pay the inflated price. I have a WiFi car camera and the iPhone cannot connect with it even after downloading the proper software several different times. My Android tablet and Android phone both connect immediately. I spent more than an hour trying to connect with the piece of crap iPhone. My wife is too stubborn to admit that her iPhone is inferior to Android. How Apple developed such customer loyalty is a mystery to me. It would appear that after they spend silly money they absolutely refuse to admit that they made a mistake.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » April 21, 2021, 10:10 pm

^fire sale yet? 😬

glalt
udonmap.com

Post by glalt » April 22, 2021, 8:28 am

Niggly wrote:
April 21, 2021, 10:10 pm