SetTop Box or Media Player?

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

SetTop Box or Media Player?

Post by NongKhaiLee » June 3, 2019, 1:08 pm

I have a 49" Toshiba TV that I bought less than one year ago, I did not opt for a smart TV because of the price difference and I didn't think I needed one.
I don't want to dedicate my laptop, so I have been poking around a little and found that the two options people here talk about are a SetTop Box and a Media Player. I know nothing about either one and was hoping someone could clue me in and maybe even tell me which is the better option.

Thanks,
lee
Last edited by NongKhaiLee on December 3, 2019, 2:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stereolab
udonmap.com

Re: SetTop Box or Media Player?

Post by stereolab » June 3, 2019, 1:31 pm

Simply disconnect your HDMI cable, and take the laptop with you. I found my STB to be very poor to set up and use, it has been languishing in a cupboard for 3 years. There is, I believe, a HDMI gadget which has wireless connectivity, though I have not personally seen one here. I am with HD pRIME and get everything I need via their website. You can buy top-ups from a 7/11.

Stantheman
udonmap.com

Post by Stantheman » June 3, 2019, 3:03 pm

NKL, You might want to look into a ROKU streaming device if what you want to watch is available from internet and you have wifi available. Not sure if available here but wife uses it to watch Thai TV subscription in the States.

NongKhaiLee
udonmap.com

Post by NongKhaiLee » June 3, 2019, 6:25 pm

stereolab wrote:
June 3, 2019, 1:31 pm
Simply disconnect your HDMI cable, and take the laptop with you. I found my STB to be very poor to set up and use, it has been languishing in a cupboard for 3 years. There is, I believe, a HDMI gadget which has wireless connectivity, though I have not personally seen one here. I am with HD pRIME and get everything I need via their website. You can buy top-ups from a 7/11.
That's a good idea...but my wife is a sports buff and if she is watching her favorite sports I wouldn't make it far with my laptop. But thanks for the input!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 4, 2019, 8:48 am

NongKhaiLee wrote:
June 3, 2019, 1:08 pm
I have a 49" Toshiba TV that I bought less than one year ago, I did not opt for a smart TV because of the price difference and I didn't think I needed one. Now I am finding that I would like to stream from the internet.
I don't want to dedicate my laptop for streaming by hooking up an HDMI cable, so I have been poking around a little and found that the two options people here talk about are a SetTop Box and a Media Player. I know nothing about either one and was hoping someone could clue me in and maybe even tell me which is the better option.
I would like to stream videos such as sports and TV shows mainly.
Thanks,
lee
If what you want to watch is on YouTube or you have a subscription then tha Apple TV works quite well, we use it as a Hue hub.

If you want to watch other streaming services that you want to not pay for than an android box is best
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Charlieb
udonmap.com

Post by Charlieb » June 4, 2019, 10:38 am

Why not simply buy an android TV box? There are many brands available on Lazada. You can install apps that will allow you to watch any TV or Movies you like.

Don't make the mistake of buying on the cheap. You must have a box with plenty of memory and disk space plus multiple processors. For example Minix U9-H. There are others but try to get specs similar to or better than the one mentioned.

garylee

Post by garylee » July 7, 2019, 8:41 am

There several ways you can watch tv from your home country. The most popular is an android box, but you will need to install the most up to date programs. The other way is to install a virtual box into your laptop, and then install the programs you choose. If you don't have an android box yet, I have a couple boxes that I loan out, I repair them for friends. You can borrow one if you want and see if its what you looking for. Or if you want I can install a virtual box into your laptop. I just do this as a hobby I don't charge anything. Gary 061-0814431

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”