Apple slows down older iPhones

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
BobHelm
udonmap.com

Apple slows down older iPhones

Post by BobHelm » December 22, 2017, 12:09 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-42438745

This has been a poor year for Apple media wise.
Software updates needed updates to correct faults, basic loopholes allowing anybody full access to an i-phone. Updates to correct that fault not actually doing so & now this...

This is actually pretty typical of Apple since Steve Jobs unfortunate demise.

Handled honestly & openly with Apple buyers it could & should have been a positive.
A 'look we deliberately throttle back the system once your battery ages & give the user a phone warning that it was' would have been a good added boost over the things Android suppliers do to support older equipment - which is absolutely nothing.

Instead Apple sneak it in & tell nobody, leaving non-Apple techs to discover it.
The result is that it is seen as a deliberate & sneaky ploy to force customers to spend a small fortune on the latest model...

Must do much better next year Apple if you are to continue to encourage customers to pay premium prices for your products...

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Apple slows down older iPhones

Post by tamada » December 25, 2017, 1:23 pm

Android have been doing it for years. My last android purchase was when 4.1 'jelly bean' was the dogs bollocks. Now it is 7.0 'nougat' and they only support 5.0 and up. That means about 30% of current android users have an expensive (but worthless) paperweight.
droid versions (Medium).jpg
Obsolescence built-in.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 25, 2017, 2:02 pm

That is not complete true Tam.
Although all the major players 'adjust' Android to fit their phones & then no longer provide updates after the phone is older than a year there are independent sources of updated 'pure' Android available that can be installed on all the major Android supplier phones. Maybe not to the latest release (as hardware has changed) but certainly greater than that which was purchased.

However the most important distinction is that situation has been openly apparent with Android for years & the older equipment is not deliberately slowed down in older releases they just aren't issued with new features & carry on performing as when purchased.
Apple were deliberately slowing down older equipment when it released a new OS & however well intentioned (or not!!) hid the fact..

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 26, 2017, 10:16 pm

BobHelm wrote:
December 25, 2017, 2:02 pm
That is not complete true Tam.
Although all the major players 'adjust' Android to fit their phones & then no longer provide updates after the phone is older than a year there are independent sources of updated 'pure' Android available that can be installed on all the major Android supplier phones. Maybe not to the latest release (as hardware has changed) but certainly greater than that which was purchased.

However the most important distinction is that situation has been openly apparent with Android for years & the older equipment is not deliberately slowed down in older releases they just aren't issued with new features & carry on performing as when purchased.
Apple were deliberately slowing down older equipment when it released a new OS & however well intentioned (or not!!) hid the fact..
I'll be interested in finding the website that allows me to 'force' an update on my ASUS brick, currently limping along on 4.1 as long as it doesn't involve rooting it.

I have found that by uninstalling all the updates on the large amount of google and ASUS apps that I have never or will never use has made my 'old' phone a lot faster. Android apps are in a perpetual state of updating. Most users who select the default setting of automatically updating over wifi may be unaware of how much their older phones are being degraded by newer apps and unsupported firmware.

Not detracting from your rightful criticism of apple policy... I have never been an apple aficionado but I reckon they are both milking the buyer, one way or another.

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » December 27, 2017, 2:15 am

I've had both Android(Samsung) and Apple phones and have noticed it a lot more on Apple phones. Admitting it doesn't make any difference since it really has been so obvious. I can accept newer updates are built for newer phones an due to the specifications of older phone they may slow down slightly but not to the extent my old Apple phone did. Trying to force people into buying the newer model is pretty despicable, they probably intentionally introduce the security flaws as well so you're forced to update, would anyone be surprised?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 27, 2017, 10:46 am

tamada wrote:
December 26, 2017, 10:16 pm
I'll be interested in finding the website that allows me to 'force' an update on my ASUS brick, currently limping along on 4.1 as long as it doesn't involve rooting it.
Unfortunately it would require you to root the device Tam.
Here is a pretty straightforward 'How to'..
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/go ... y-3342120/

XDA is generally considered the best source for updated Android systems...but not sure if your devise is supported by them or not..
https://www.xda-developers.com/

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » December 27, 2017, 11:37 am

BobHelm wrote:
December 27, 2017, 10:46 am
tamada wrote:
December 26, 2017, 10:16 pm
Unfortunately it would require you to root the device Tam.
Here is a pretty straightforward 'How to'..
https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/go ... y-3342120/

XDA is generally considered the best source for updated Android systems...but not sure if your devise is supported by them or not..
https://www.xda-developers.com/
Cheers Bob. I was an avid XDA follower (still have the browser bookmarks) when android devices were all quite new and I had a google nexus that bricked itself. I had a hard enough job doing R&M on Windows machines and lost interest with rooting devices only to find things that you wanted worked faster but things that you needed (like a non-google email option) disappeared which I found is one of the cons of doing a non-OEM android update for my particular phone.

Maybe I just need to go shopping on lazada after all!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » January 3, 2018, 7:20 am

Well Apple have acted sensibly on this issue.
They are introducing software changes that alert the user as to the state of their battery & significantly reduced the price on out of warranty batteries for the iPhone 6 / iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s / iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE & iPhone 7 / iPhone 7 Plus.
The new batteries are available from the iCare shops.
In Thailand the batteries will be reduced from 2,900 baht to 1.000 baht.

It is all still a bit late not to have destroyed the trust of some Apple users though.

The cynical amongst us (me :D ) might also think that if Apple can cut the cost of a battery by such a huge amount then boy were they overcharging for a must have consumable before!!!

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”