Windows 10 Download Reservation started today

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 28, 2016, 6:15 pm

Aa......is the problem one of 'printing' or one of 'viewing' on your screen?

If the problem is 'viewing', then you should be able to reduce the screen magnification easily enough. On Chrome, it's the stack of 3 small horizontal lines on the upper right hand side....click there, and you'll see 'zoom'
If your page isn't printing properly, it's possibly you need to reset your paper size (probably A4).

Good luck!

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » January 29, 2016, 4:33 pm

Shall attack this problem tomorrow with gusto .... expect me to get back to yall for further assistance :oops:

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 29, 2016, 6:04 pm

had a new problem pop up in Windows 10 with it repeatedly disconnecting from my wireless despite the wireless connection being ticked "connect automatically".. The laptop would drop connectivity and I'd have to bring up the wireless connection and click "connect"... After looking all through the web and finding nothing I though "gee, maybe the wireless modem in the laptop is hosed." Nope, diagnostics showed A-OK.. Finally I looked in Control Panel- Device Manager - Network Adapter at the wireless adapter and found that the Wireless Adapter - Power Management had the block checked to allow the Laptop to "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power." I unchecked the block and the problem thus far has not reoccurred. Windows 10 fluke?? Maybe??
Dave

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » January 30, 2016, 1:18 pm

Took me quite a while to get it all worked out but, as soon as I had Chrome operating it printed first time. Thank you Gentlemen, another problem solved :D

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Windows 10 Edge browser speedup

Post by FrazeeDK » March 6, 2016, 8:50 am

I've experienced extremely slow performance in my Windows 10 Egde browser. Today I Googled adblockers for Edge and found this site http://www.edgeadblock.com/ That had a simple batch file that makes some Registry changes for Edge that blocks ads.. It made my Edge browser significantly faster..
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 1, 2016, 9:49 pm

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » June 3, 2016, 5:36 pm

Not surprised. I have one computer on Windows 7 and one on windows 10. Windows 7 issues? Maybe once a month and trivial. Windows 10? Every day. Problems with the sound drivers (go all super low pitch, especially when using skype), used to also just loose all sound, but a new driver fixed that. Crashing, half the updates do not work and neither does my old software. I reckon it will take until 2020 before it is more reliable than windows 7. I also still use XP as some software doesn't work with Windows 7 either.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » June 3, 2016, 8:37 pm

after using Windows 10 now for about 8-9 months I'll give it only a "fair" rating.. It is slower than Windows 7, and some of the associated applications, particularly the Edge Browser is terrible.. Recently I received several advisories from Microsoft telling me to start using the build in Mail App in Windows 10 instead of the Window Live e-mail that has an Outlook layout to it.. The Mail App in Windows 10 also is terrible with about 10% of the functionality of Windows Live e-mail..
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » June 3, 2016, 8:55 pm

I was happy with Windows 7 but couldn't pass up a free upgrade to 10. The best part was it sped up my bootup from 2 minutes to less than a minute. I'm a belieber.

Udon Map
Admin

Post by Udon Map » June 3, 2016, 9:44 pm

parrot wrote:I was happy with Windows 7 but couldn't pass up a free upgrade to 10. The best part was it sped up my bootup from 2 minutes to less than a minute. I'm a belieber.
A solid state drive will make it go light-speed fast. Think about one for your next computer, maybe.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 4, 2016, 7:49 am

For anyone that does NOT want to upgrade to Windows 10 then there are a number of free programs that will remove the icon & remove the update files, if they have already downloaded. Never10 is one that I would recommend for anyone that doesn't want to update & can't be bothered to stop it the 'long' way..
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

The uptake on Windows 10 is certainly increasing, although that is probably driven by many new PCs not offering another option.
win10.png
Although I gather than Microsoft's new browser, Edge, has failed to generate much support. Despite it being the default browser on Windows 10 it is estimated that 3 out of 4 Windows 10 users are using a browser other than Edge!!

hairyharry
udonmap.com

Post by hairyharry » June 4, 2016, 9:36 am

I finally bit the bullet and upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 a month ago.

At present I am very pleased with the result. The upgrade has solved a few issues that I had with Windows 7, with a couple of new problems being encountered now.

Start up and shut down are significantly faster. Movies of a large size and format are now playing without any problems. Office works well too. I use Google Chrome and have no difficulties.

I am having a problem with pdf readers. Adobe (previously reliable) is now crashing on a reqular basis. I use Adobe every day so that is a real pain. It's a known issue but none of the suggested fixes have worked. I've tried the leading alternative but that also crashes and the minimum functions of the lightweight readers don't meet my requirements. This is currently an ongoing problem. I also had problems with Zoom video conferencing software but those have been resolved following an update by the authors of that software.

The one big difference for me is that my 1,2 ghz processor is no longer fast enough to cope with Windows 10, Adobe and Zoom Video Conferencing Software all running at the same time. From my experience so far, I believe I need a minimum of 2 ghz for a processor, plenty of cache and plenty of RAM. Also noted a comment on the forum about having a solid state drive so that's now on my list of desirables.

Incidentally, all my software is licenced and I have fairly basic requirements so that may go some way to explaining the lack of problems encountered so far.

Much to my surprise, I like Windows 10 and I'm very happy with the upgrade outcome!!!!

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » June 4, 2016, 12:12 pm

Udon Map wrote:A solid state drive will make it go light-speed fast. Think about one for your next computer, maybe.
I'll second that =D>
Not only are SSD's more reliable (no moving parts) they are 4 or 5 times faster than SATA HDD's.
One of my computers was being throttle by the SATA hard disc (Windows Experience showed a score of 5.9 for HDD), replacing with a solid state drive brought it up to speed with the rest of the system.
SSD WE.jpg
The Windows 10 boot up and shut down speed increase is a farce IMHO... sure, it will display your desktop background image faster and close it quicker too.. but that doesn't mean it's fully booted or shut down.
I have done back to back tests with identical machines, one running Win 7 Ult and the other running Win 10 Pro... the Win 10 machine was quicker to display the desktop image, but the test was to boot up, open browser (Opera), then sign in to a certain website account. As for shut down, again, the Win 10 machine closed the desktop image faster, but the test was when the CPU fans stopped and all lights went out. The winner in both cases was...
Windows 7 Ultimate.

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » June 4, 2016, 1:49 pm

Gotta be honest...I'm not that computer/software savvy.
Today, I noticed a icon in the lower right corner which says "Get Windows10".
If I decide to get it it, what do I need to do before hand? One friend said I needed to back-up my entire Windows 7 hard drive since Windows 10 in a completely new OS? That nothing from my current Windows 7 OS will be saved?
Then I read articles like this from May 5:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... 3ca861395e
and then this one from a June 1:
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/update-wi ... 10788.html

Seems like some people praise the Windows 10 upgrade, while others curse it :-k .

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 4, 2016, 2:04 pm

In theory you need to do nothing other than click on the icon & let it happen.
It does take a fair time to load though.

If you are on Windows 7 then, in theory, it is an 'upgrade' rather than an 'install' so it should leave all your personal stuff alone & just upgrade the operating system.

But that is theory rather than practicality :D
Personally I would certainly back up any personal data that I wanted to keep before upgrading. After all, even if it all goes according to plan, you will still have a backup of your personal stuff - which is worth doing even if you are not updating the system.

Some people prefer Windows 10 to Windows 7, some hate it. It is a very different (phone like) system & I would highly recommend that you have a look at it in action before you make the move.
In theory (again :D ) it is possible to 'go back' to Windows 7 if you find that you hate 10, but I do know of people who have ended up with difficulties when they tried to do that!!

If you can't see Windows 10 in the 'live' before you take the plunge then it would be worthwhile looking at Youtube, where there are a fair number of beginner guides that will give you a fair indication of what it is about..

Oh, sorry, one last thing.
In order to get much out of Windows 10 you need a Microsoft Account name - an outlook or hotmail address, for example.
The idea is that you can sign onto a Windows 10 machine anywhere with your user name & then you will get your desktop & Applications on that machine. It is possible to use Windows 10 without but you can't then download Applications etc...

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » June 4, 2016, 9:18 pm

BobHelm wrote:In theory you need to do nothing other than click on the icon & let it happen.
It does take a fair time to load though.

If you are on Windows 7 then, in theory, it is an 'upgrade' rather than an 'install' so it should leave all your personal stuff alone & just upgrade the operating system.

But that is theory rather than practicality :D
Personally I would certainly back up any personal data that I wanted to keep before upgrading. After all, even if it all goes according to plan, you will still have a backup of your personal stuff - which is worth doing even if you are not updating the system.
So, how does one know whether it is a update or upgrade? I've looked but can't seem to find the info? This is where it is confusing.
I have backed up all my personal data.
But how does one back up all the info on my browser (Firefox)?
What about programs?

Lone Star
udonmap.com

Post by Lone Star » June 4, 2016, 9:31 pm

Last edited by Lone Star on March 6, 2019, 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AMERICA: One of the Greatest Stories Ever Told.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 4, 2016, 9:54 pm

If you are currently on Windows 7 then it should be an upgrade, rather than a complete re-install.
So, as I said, in theory all the programs & data should be transfered.

Programs, if they are not carried forward, will be a problem.
Just copying the programs as they are in Windows 7 will not do any good whatsoever. You would not be able to then copy them to Windows 10 if the upgrade went wrong.
When you load programs to Windows for the first time it does other things than just copy the program, it often sets pointers in the registry that repasting a program that you copied will not do.
So copying your current Programs will not buy you anything.
If any of your programs fails to survive the upgrade then you will need to reinstall it in Windows 10 from scratch, not copy it.

Firefox is rather easier...
You can EXPORT bookmarks to a disk & then re-import them to a new version of Firefox, plus there are FireFox add ons that allow you to export (& then import) all your passwords as well.
With Firefox the best thing is also to go to Options & then Sync & create a Firefox username & password which will let you save most of the settings & then recreate them anywhere you like in the future...

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » June 4, 2016, 10:44 pm

jingjai wrote:If I decide to get it it, what do I need to do before hand?
Mark, before you go ahead with the upgrade... read this through, follow the instructions to check your PC's compatibility first ;)

http://www.zdnet.com/article/will-your- ... -find-out/

jingjai
udonmap.com

Post by jingjai » June 5, 2016, 12:25 pm

parrot wrote:This news in the Economist:
http://www.economist.com/news/science-a ... windows-10
Thanks Parrot.
The article provided some welcome relief:
As enterprise customers call the tune, Microsoft has promised to provide security patches for Windows 7 on old computers until January 2020.
What this all means is that Windows 7 users have four more years to decide whether they really want to upgrade to Windows 10. If they decide to carry on using their trusty old operating system, they will be free of disruption while enjoying reasonably secure computing until the cut-off date in 2020.

On the other side of the coin, there are good reasons to stay with Windows 7. With security upgrades guaranteed for the next three or four years, no hardware or software will need to be replaced; no new drivers installed or keyboard shortcuts learned; and all those pesky wireless problems can thankfully be forgotten. As it is, Windows 7 simply gets the job done—and that, for most computer users, is probably reason enough to stick with it.
Check out the entire article for more info.

I was not planning on getting a new laptop for another 3 years anyway...barring some unforeseen disaster.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”