Internet problems - Taiwan's Underseas Cable

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
arjay
udonmap.com

Internet problems - Taiwan's Underseas Cable

Post by arjay » December 27, 2006, 5:30 pm

If you have been having Internet problems today it could be down to the following:-

From the Bangkok Post:
Taiwan quake cripples Thai Internet

Telecommunications across Asia have been severely disrupted because of damage to undersea cables caused by Tuesday's earthquake near Taiwan.

Banks and businesses in Taiwan, South Korea, China and Japan reported telephone and internet problems.

In Thailand, Internet access slowed to a crawl, with up to 90 per cent of e-mail and web access impossible. There was no word from CAT Telecom, the government monopoly which supplies all Internet service to Thailand.

Taiwan's largest telephone company, Chunghwa Telecom Co, said damage to an undersea cable had disrupted 98% of Taiwan's communications with Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand and Hong Kong.

Repairs could take three weeks, Vice-General Manager Lin Jen-hung said, but quality would improve daily.

Telecommunications companies in Hong Kong, Japan and China also reported problems.

China's biggest telecoms provider, China Telecommunications Group, said that communications cables to the US and to Europe had been damaged.

"Internet connections have been seriously affected, and phone links and dedicated business lines have also been affected to some degree," it said.
I have been having problems accessing hotmail this afternoon, though not this morning!
Last edited by arjay on February 14, 2007, 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PopsIcafe
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by PopsIcafe » December 27, 2006, 7:42 pm

Been having problems here in accessing hotmail and instant messenger, all the others seem to work great. Accessing websites outside of Thailand has been a real problem also. Off the coast of Taiwan was a recorded 7.1 earthquake and after shocks in the range of 5.4 to 5.7. The real problem is trying to explain to the customers why this is happening, because their first thought is the computer....DUH!!!!! Hopefully it will up and running better in the next couple of days.

Pops

muscle
udonmap.com

Post by muscle » December 27, 2006, 8:08 pm

Thanks. I should know to check here first. Hotmail down...ahhhh! Life as we know it could come to an end and I would not get my e mail! If only Blackberry covered this area.
Many thanks.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » December 27, 2006, 8:10 pm

Had problems all day trying to connect to many sites.Seems OK at the moment!

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » December 28, 2006, 1:50 am

Asian Web Services May Take Weeks to Return to Normal (Update1)

By Tim Culpan and Andrea Tan

Dec. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Chunghwa Telecom Co. and Singapore Telecommunications Ltd. may need weeks to resume full Internet and phone services in Asia after earthquakes off Taiwan damaged undersea cables.

Chunghwa, Taiwan's biggest operator, restored partial services to the U.S., Canada and China by rerouting connections. Full access may take two to three weeks, said Leng Tai-feng, Chunghwa's vice president. KDDI Corp., Japan's second-biggest carrier, said repairs typically take ``several weeks to months.''

Companies from HSBC Holdings Plc to DHL Worldwide Express suffered the loss of online and phone services yesterday after a 7.1 magnitude quake and aftershocks struck southern Taiwan. Operators are using back-up systems to help alleviate the bottleneck as parts of Hong Kong, China, Singapore and India remain without Internet and phone access.

``Our first priority is to divert traffic. We're not aware of the severity of the damage to the cables,'' said StarHub Ltd. spokesman Eric Loh in Singapore. ``Our engineers have been working round the clock and are doing their best to rectify the matter as soon as possible.''

The damaged cables include the APCN2 and Sea-Me-We3 lines, Chunghwa said in a statement. Eight STM-1 cables from Okinawa off Japan and four STM-1 cables to Shanghai are acting as backup, Chunghwa said. The company may also use the ST-1 satellite.

Using Typewriters

HSBC said there was no access for its online banking service in Taiwan, Hong Kong and China, while Taipei-based Chunghwa said almost no calls could be made to Southeast Asia.

``All of our connections including those for logistics are out,'' said Apheron Cheng, an information technology manager for DHL's freight forwarding unit in Taipei. ``We will do everything manually including using typewriters.''

Singapore Telecom, France Telecom SA and Pakistan Telecommunication Co. are in a group that own the Sea-Me-We3 cables linking Europe to Asia. Operators in the APCN2 cable network that connects Japan, Korea, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, the Philippines, Malaysia and Singapore include China Unicom Ltd., StarHub, Telekom Malaysia Bhd. and Telstra Corp.

``We're working very closely with our submarine consortium members to restore services as soon as possible,'' Singapore Telecom spokesman Chia Boon Chong said by telephone.

Shifting Traffic

Verizon Communications Inc. said in a statement today that some of its business customers may encounter service disruptions. The New York-based company is working with operators of affected undersea cables to determine restoration options, it said.

Part of Asia Netcom Corp.'s 19,500-kilometer-long EAC fiber- optic cable was also damaged.

``There are multiple cables passing the vicinity of Taiwan that carry Asian Internet traffic to the U.S. via Japan,'' Wilfred Kwan, chief technology officer of Asia Netcom, said in a statement. ``A large portion of this traffic has been forced to take the southern path via Australia or westward via Europe, to arrive in the U.S.''

Asia had the slowest Web connection with response time at 619 milliseconds, or triple the average 200 milliseconds, according to the latest figures from Internet Traffic Report's site, which monitors the flow of global Internet data.

Corporate Customers

``Data is more difficult to restore because it is high speed,'' Chunghwa's Leng said. ``We will restore services to some of our enterprise customers'' first, she said. Chunghwa will outsource the repair of the damaged cables to Asia Netcom.

The main quake, classified as ``major,'' struck at 8:26 p.m. local time on Dec. 26, 10 kilometers (6 miles) under the seabed, the U.S. Geological Survey said on its Web site.

The tremors came on the second anniversary of the 2004 Asian tsunami, when a magnitude 9.1 earthquake off Sumatra unleashed waves that destroyed coastal villages from Indonesia to Sri Lanka, killing more than 220,000 people.

``I can't trade if I don't know the prices,'' said David Leong, who heads the Singapore trading desk at First State Investments, which manages $15 billion in equities in Asia and emerging markets. ``I've put in limit orders to try to minimize the damage, but even then you need to have the basic information.''

To contact the reporters on this story: Tim Culpan in Taipei at [email protected] ; Andrea Tan in Singapore at [email protected]
Last Updated: December 27, 2006 11:49 EST

muscle
udonmap.com

Post by muscle » December 28, 2006, 2:02 am

I finally got through to hotmail, but am still having problems with one DC government site I need to check frequently. Otherwise, the most difficult part was explaining to my wife how the internet worked and why an earthquake may affect her being able to Skype with her friends in DC.

AznBigG
udonmap.com

Post by AznBigG » December 28, 2006, 5:44 am

izzix wrote:

Asian Web Services May Take Weeks to Return to Normal (Update1)

By Tim Culpan and Andrea Tan

Dec. 28 (Bloomberg) -- Chunghwa Telecom Co. and Singapore Telecommunications Ltd. may need weeks to resume full Internet and phone services in Asia after earthquakes off Taiwan damaged undersea cables.

I had problems calling Thailand from Hawaii yesterday till very late last night. Also had problems with calling Taiwan and Hong Kong. Unable to access HK websites from Hawaii.

AZscott
udonmap.com

Post by AZscott » December 28, 2006, 5:57 am

I have been unable to call Udon from the states today. Hopefully things will improve soon

AznBigG
udonmap.com

Post by AznBigG » December 28, 2006, 6:00 am

AZscott wrote:I have been unable to call Udon from the states today. Hopefully things will improve soon
You have to keep trying through the day. That's what I had to do.

panick
udonmap.com

Post by panick » December 28, 2006, 6:02 am

I've had a few problems calling from the UK (using cheap rate computer codes.... so only 4bht/min to land line OR mob from any UK landline...don't use Skype or phone cards)The rcorded message always say that the lines are busy,but most of it is down to how good the signal strength is on the Thai mob :x ..Orange is Cr#p,DTAC and GSM are better :D ... but have noticed on the computer,every Asian site takes a long time to log in!.....Hotmail/Yahoo have been No problem conecting to Thailand users whilst in the UK :!:
Hopefully it'll all be back to normal again soon :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bring back Saint

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 14, 2007, 9:28 pm

The Undersea Cable is now fixed.

Quote From Bangkok Post:
Internet cables to Hong Kong fixed

Hong Kong (dpa) - Internet connections were restored to normal in Hong Kong Wednesday, 50 days after an undersea earthquake off Taiwan severely damaged cables to the former British colony.

Six out of seven submarine cables coming in and out of Hong Kong were snapped by the December 26 earthquake, causing severe disruption to e-mail and internet connections.

Services were gradually improved but it took until Wednesday for Hong Kong's Telecommunications Authority to announce that the repairs to the cables were complete.

Singapore, Thailand and other regional cities and countries were also badly affected by the quake but Hong Kong's reliance on the undersea cables made the impact on the city of 6.8 million worse.

The disruption caused to business and private users sparked calls for Hong Kong service providers to have a better back-up system in the event of another catastrophic breakdown.

A Telecommunications Authority spokesman said Wednesday: "We are pleased to announce the repair of these cable systems is completed and all our external telecommunications services, including internet access, have been fully restored.

"Our internet service providers have recovered their external connection capacity back to the normal operational levels before the earthquake."

The repairs were at one stage expected to take until the end of February to complete but appear to have been finished ahead of schedule.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 14, 2007, 9:45 pm

So I conclude that Internet speed and connections within Thailand should now be back to normal!!

cookie
udonmap.com

Post by cookie » February 15, 2007, 3:01 pm

normal for Thailand??? :? :? :?

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Internet back to normal? Yes

Post by FrazeeDK » February 15, 2007, 8:23 pm

My high speed is back to normal with latency (ping times) back to where they were before the fiber cut...
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Re: Internet problems - Taiwan's Underseas Cable

Post by parrot » February 26, 2021, 10:08 am

This in Thailand.......in case your internet is suddenly having problems
https://www.facebook.com/Productionhous ... 7372789776

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Internet problems - Taiwan's Underseas Cable

Post by tamada » February 26, 2021, 10:43 am

parrot wrote:
February 26, 2021, 10:08 am
This in Thailand.......in case your internet is suddenly having problems
https://www.facebook.com/Productionhous ... 7372789776
TRUE hi-speed fiber.... coming to a moobahn near you!

...unless he falls off first.

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”