Proper English at last - coming with Windows 8

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » February 22, 2012, 8:13 am

http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2 ... indows.ars

It looks like we shall at last be able to use correct English without Windows spell checker trying to corrupt it to American spellings.

Maybe we'll even be able to have our "favourite colours" again chaps and use "s" instead of "z" in words. [-o< =D>

Absolutely spiffing, chaps.

merchant seaman
udonmap.com

Post by merchant seaman » February 22, 2012, 8:30 am

Sebra....Zebra ?????

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » February 27, 2012, 4:59 pm

Just remember... if it wasn't for the Americans, or Yanks as you called us, you wouldn't be worried about "proper English"... you'd be speaking GERMAN ;)

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 27, 2012, 6:38 pm

Sorry to disillusion you Bubba, but the defeat of Germany in Europe had a great deal more to do with the Russian involvement in World War 2 than American.
By the time that America joined in during 1941 the fight for the dominance of the air over Britain was already over - the famous Battle of Britain.
From the end of that (31 October 1940) Germany no longer had any serious chance or intention of invading the UK as its troops would have been slaughtered in the Channel before they could even land..

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » February 27, 2012, 6:45 pm

It's not called "English" anymore. It's called "American". Perhaps the memo hasn't reached that tiny clump of islands yet? :lol:
Enjoy this site much more by adding idiots to your ignore list (Friends & Foes tab).
http:\\www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/ucp.php? ... &mode=foes

ricks
udonmap.com

Post by ricks » February 27, 2012, 7:07 pm

and the Americans have not yet won a war without the English

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » February 27, 2012, 7:24 pm

How did the English help the United States in their victories over the Spanish, the Mexicans, the Apaches et al? I suppose you could argue that Britain helped the Yankees in their victory over the Confederacy by not allying with the Rebels.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Shado
udonmap.com

Post by Shado » February 27, 2012, 7:32 pm

ricks wrote:and the Americans have not yet won a war without the English

I know the English were around when the Americans won the war of 1775-1783.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » February 27, 2012, 7:47 pm

arjay wrote:http://arstechnica.com/microsoft/news/2 ... indows.ars

It looks like we shall at last be able to use correct English without Windows spell checker trying to corrupt it to American spellings.

Maybe we'll even be able to have our "favourite colours" again chaps and use "s" instead of "z" in words. [-o< =D>

Absolutely spiffing, chaps.
Quote from the article:
"Thankfully this will soon be no longer, as Windows 8 will treat British English as a first-class citizen."

Well I think it's just brilliant that after nearly 30 years the good Americans at the worlds leading American run software company have now elevated the minority of quaint British-English speakers to "first class citizen" status.
:lol:

British computer:
Absolutely spiffing, chaps. :lol:
UFF DA!

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » February 27, 2012, 8:31 pm

ricks wrote:and the Americans have not yet won a war without the English
...ensuring they do not miss tea time. :lol:
Enjoy this site much more by adding idiots to your ignore list (Friends & Foes tab).

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » February 27, 2012, 8:50 pm

BobHelm wrote:Sorry to disillusion you Bubba, but the defeat of Germany in Europe had a great deal more to do with the Russian involvement in World War 2 than American.
By the time that America joined in during 1941 the fight for the dominance of the air over Britain was already over - the famous Battle of Britain.
From the end of that (31 October 1940) Germany no longer had any serious chance or intention of invading the UK as its troops would have been slaughtered in the Channel before they could even land..

Actually quite true, had Hitler not revoked his non-agression treaty with Stalin the war might have ended differently. Same as the case as if Japan had not bombed Pearl Harbor. The Russians lost 20+ MILLION in WWII. I've spent considerable time in Ukraine, a former Soviet State, if you ask anyone there who won the war it certainly wont be America. My comment was ended with a wink. A joke. A light hearted poke at a comment from a Brit. As usual it is showed they have no sense of humor, but it's nice to see the reactions! \:D/

BigBubba
udonmap.com

Post by BigBubba » February 27, 2012, 8:55 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:How did the English help the United States in their victories over the Spanish, the Mexicans, the Apaches et al? I suppose you could argue that Britain helped the Yankees in their victory over the Confederacy by not allying with the Rebels.

France backed the Confederacy.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » February 27, 2012, 9:19 pm

BigBubba wrote:My comment was ended with a wink. A joke. A light hearted poke at a comment from a Brit. As usual it is showed they have no sense of humor, but it's nice to see the reactions! \:D/

Yes I don't especially have any sense of humour about the events of the Second World War. I am sorry that I fail to find any humour in the death of 10s of millions of human beings & people perpetrating mis-truths about the events that happened.

That does not mean that I have no sense of humour....just a sense of decency...

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » February 28, 2012, 4:07 am

Another "bash America" thread with the usual suspects involved.

Tracechain
udonmap.com

Post by Tracechain » February 28, 2012, 4:47 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:How did the English help the United States in their victories over the Spanish, the Mexicans, the Apaches et al? I suppose you could argue that Britain helped the Yankees in their victory over the Confederacy by not allying with the Rebels.
The Apaches!
Hit 'em hard, hit 'em fast, hit 'em with the one they don't expect, and just keep hitting.

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » February 28, 2012, 6:19 am

BigBubba wrote:Just remember... if it wasn't for the Americans, or Yanks as you called us, you wouldn't be worried about "proper English"... you'd be speaking GERMAN ;)

Do not be too understanding or forgiving of the anti-American Brits in this forum -- and it's certainly not all from the UK. They ascribe to the philosophy that anything UK is good. Anything America is bad. Anything you think is irreverent and indecent and incorrect. Anything they think is reverent and decent and correct. There are quite a few. Expect it. Those who ascribe to that philosophy are quite consistent.

I think it has something to do with the fact that we wrestled their colonies away from them and then, rabble that they accused of us being, we surpassed them in economic prosperity.

I dare say that if there were as many aspersions cast toward the UK culture as there are toward Americans and our culture in this forum, there'd be outrage and calls from the membership to ban each and every one who made any such remark.

KHONDAHM
udonmap.com

Post by KHONDAHM » February 28, 2012, 6:33 am

BigBubba wrote:France backed the Confederacy.
...but were "officially" neutral. France wanted cotton and to do things in Central America. The Confederates wanted ships and help to break the Union's naval blockade. France backed out, the Union won, and there are (IMHO) some Southerners still sore about that.

@Ricohoc - Oh for goodness sake...taking shots at each other has been a long-standing and good-natured bit of fun between our two countries. There you go having a conniption about fun in true troll form. Do you EVER take a day off to rejoin us humans? =;

jimboLV
udonmap.com

Post by jimboLV » February 28, 2012, 7:43 am

KD I think for the most part you are correct, that it's all in fun. Although in some cases some of these Brits really do believe that they're superior, whereas we Yanks KNOW that we're superior. :lol: Just look at the way these guys "insult" each other over their soccer teams. A possible exception is when they comment on American politics, about which they are clueless.

I was once in the airplane industry in the US and we had a lot of Brit expats working with us. Spent many hours over beers ribbing each other. Topics usually were: football vs. soccer; spelling; driving on the "wrong" side of the road; fish and chips vs. hamburgers, the list goes on and on. Nobody took it seriously and it was great fun, once you got used to the British dry humor. It was especially laughable when the English and Scots got after each other.

Ricohoc
udonmap.com

Post by Ricohoc » February 28, 2012, 8:05 am

jimboLV wrote:Topics usually were: football vs. soccer; spelling; driving on the "wrong" side of the road; fish and chips vs. hamburgers, the list goes on and on.
I would agree with that.

If those were the topics where "ribbing" is taking place, and it was done in the spirit of good-natured "ribbing," I would have never brought it up. I have a group of friends who hail from the UK, and we regularly enjoy similar "ribbing" in the true sense of the word. We are friends.

My reference was not to those light-hearted topics. Those who are on an incessant anti-American bent know who they are.

harmonyudon
udonmap.com

Post by harmonyudon » February 28, 2012, 9:52 am

arjay wrote:....It looks like we shall at last be able to use correct English without Windows spell checker trying to corrupt it to American spellings.
Handy for me........do they have also a module that pronounce the words??
Perhaps handy also for some Udon UK expats...... :lol: :lol: :-" :-"

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”