iCloud File Recovery, Is It Possible?

Technical Questions & Discussions about Computers, IT & electronics.
Niggly
udonmap.com

Re: iCloud File Recovery, Is It Possible?

Post by Niggly » July 18, 2021, 9:45 am

tamada wrote:
July 17, 2021, 10:39 pm

Working with or otherwise hosting MS documents on the iCloud? I see. As the Dixie Chicks sang...

Hope this helps.
There’s no fuggin Dixie Chicks anywhere near my cloud

Age & treachery will always triumph over youth & ability

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » July 18, 2021, 10:40 am

Mjkt
udonmap.com

Post by Mjkt » July 19, 2021, 8:30 am

Niggly wrote:
July 18, 2021, 9:43 am
This only appears to refer to apple app created files ie Pages & Numbers.
These options don’t seem to be available on Microsoft Office files ie Word, Excel.
OK, I'm not an Apple user so I expect you are correct. Another link here suggests 'How to Find Microsoft Office AutoRecovery Files on Your Mac' in various folders like '/Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery' but once again not sure if this helps in your case as I am not familiar with Apple folders.

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/recover-w ... documents/

I'm a big fan of OneDrive or Dropbox for situations like this. OneDrive seems much smoother these days so I just use that.

Good luck.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 19, 2021, 9:31 am

Mjkt wrote:
July 19, 2021, 8:30 am

OK, I'm not an Apple user so I expect you are correct. Another link here suggests 'How to Find Microsoft Office AutoRecovery Files on Your Mac' in various folders like '/Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/Library/Containers/com.microsoft.Word/Data/Library/Preferences/AutoRecovery' but once again not sure if this helps in your case as I am not familiar with Apple folders.
Yes already tried that. It takes you to a hidden folder section where auto saved files are supposed to be but you guessed it, empty of MS Office files.

MS Office is fine with a Windows computer & Apple with Macs but even though I’m using an official MS Office for Mac program it seems to leave a lot to be desired with compatibility. There’s even a OneDrive folder I had to sign into in both Excel & Word to get going but it’s empty. It’s as though the system is getting confused where MS files are supposed to be when created/edited on the Mac so just disappear into the ether.

Thanks for still looking 👍

Earnest
udonmap.com

Post by Earnest » July 19, 2021, 9:23 pm

You should be ok using MS Office with Apple products, thousands of people will be doing the same as you.
This message has been submitted successfully, but it will need to be approved by a moderator before it is publicly viewable. You will be notified when your post has been approved.

Niggly
udonmap.com

Post by Niggly » July 19, 2021, 9:34 pm

Yes, I’ve not had a problem with MS Office on Apple but I now think I know how it happened so can stop it in the future. Been checking this particular file every day since the issue & sure enough iCloud takes a bit to sync when opening the Mac from sleep so it’s unwise to open the file immediately. You can see the modified/opened date change as it syncs

I don’t doubt thousands of people are using it although it would be interesting to know how many of them have or had this problem. I bet most won’t even know it happens. The interface has been seamless for me with this issue obviously going unnoticed for over a year since moving to Mac until I had the problem & I had cause to look into it

Return to “Computers, IT & Electronics”