Buying motorcycle from Thai person

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
rickpilot601
udonmap.com

Post by rickpilot601 » February 17, 2016, 9:56 am

I bought a Wave at a dealer 4 years ago and he did all the necessary for me to have my name in the green book. Now I'm in the process of buying a PCX for more speed/range in a private sale with a Thai individual.
I know I need a certificate of residence, did that last time.
My question is, does the seller need to go with me to the Transport office (the one on Udo6 n Dutsadi Road, I believe), to register the transfer and get my name in the green book. He seems not to think so, and will have all his paperwork ready when I hand over the money. I will have a Thai person with me to ensure that all that is correct, as I can only read it very slowly.
Would appreciate any advice as I don't want to hand over the cash and end up with a problem in registering it. Many thanks! Richard
[I spend 6 months a year , approx., every year in Thailand, at the same address (Thai friend) for 3 years of 5, using a UK pensioner's multiple entry Non-O Visa, which I renew yearly. Am planning to increase time here as friends are dying off rapidly in the UK. ]

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » February 17, 2016, 11:07 am

I bought a virtually new PCX 2 months ago from a Thai/Farang couple. The BIKE also needs to go to the centre (a couple of kms on the right from Landmark) cos they check chassis number, engine number and all that guff now and EVERYONE needs to hang around to do the transfer. We being numb nut farangs saw the bike verification process thru, signed papers and shot off to the pub leaving his Mrs bored to sort the last bits. There was a dither moment cos we were registering in son's name and he's away at Uni so we "sorted" his signing off road as it were.

It might be tedious but at least you DO get to see if the pcx is original and hasnt had an engine swap etc. Ride safe..

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 17, 2016, 11:11 am

About two years ago I bought a MB from a private seller. My wife and I went to the transport office to inquire what documentation I required. We were told the that seller doesn't require a proof of residence and isn't required to go to the transportation office to complete the title transfer.

As per the norm, things change here (TIT) and when someone relays their experience, it may be differ from someone else. Your best bet is to go to the transportation office and get the information direct from the source.

Liam Dale
udonmap.com

Post by Liam Dale » February 17, 2016, 11:54 am

As you say.. two years ago.. ;-) When I bought my last pcx about 2 years ago.. we also didnt need to go. Seller sorted all. Life moves on.. to the present day and their NEW guidelines.

We also had to cough out another 300 baht tween us cos they were selling a bike that they had owned from new less than 3 months. ONE is with transport office currently.. = little English spoken (Staff changes everywhere). Take a Thai pal to yabber!

rickpilot601
udonmap.com

Post by rickpilot601 » February 17, 2016, 12:33 pm

thanks to all. The seller either knows he doesn't need to go or doesn't want to. seems to be a decent chap. Will get residence cert for me today, and take Thai person to verify all documents before handing over the lolly

mech_401
udonmap.com

Re: Buying motorcycle from Thai person

Post by mech_401 » September 19, 2020, 1:31 am

i thought i had a basic grasp on this . a friendgirl
wanted a 2nd hand scooter , and as i daily look at
kaidee or fb marketplace , i said i'd have a go .

omg , i have never heard so many excuses over
why they don't have a book , why tax hasn't been
paid in several yrs, documents stuck in finance
alternate copies of buy-sell agreements , i honestly think 80% of bikes are not road legal
because of these endless shenanigans , theft
being another one. even 2nd hand shops dodgy

Return to “Thailand Law”