Obtaining original Thai birth certificate

Thailand laws, tips and advice.
booboo07

Post by booboo07 » April 21, 2015, 11:30 pm

My son was born in THAILAND IN 1974. At that time we lived in Non Sung. We left Thailand in 1976 and have lived in the U.S.A ever since. My son is now interested in dual citizenship, USA/Thai and a "original" Thai birth certificate is one of the required documents. However, somehow we have lost the original. I only have a copy of the original. I contacted the Mueng Udon Thani District office to get an original but was told by them that in 1976 there was a flood in that area and many documents were destroyed, including my sons birth certificate. Does anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed? My feelings are that they should be able to "reissue" a birth certificate since they were in possession of it when it was destroyed. I should also mention that I'm divorced now from Thai wife so my Son and I are kind of going through this on our own. Thank you.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 22, 2015, 5:27 am

I had a similar situation recently, but in respect of my Thai wife, needing to provide agencies in the UK with proof in respect of future pension payments.
My wife couldn't find her original birth certificate in her home village and quite possibly munched by termites. The local Phen administration citing changes in staff, movement of records etc. couldn't find a copy either.
What occurred was my wife took her parents along to the Phen office (I.D's and house books in hand), they confirmed their personal details and that they were, indeed, the parents of my wife etc.
My wife was given a document, in Thai, with a reference Thor Ror 20/1. I'm not sure if this is the same 'design' as an original birth certificate, but has the same information. My wife's photo is also affixed.
Hope that is of some help.
Incidentally, I've obtained a certified English translation too from a place in Udon, nice guy, one which does certificates for AEK Udon.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » April 22, 2015, 6:33 am

booboo07 wrote:My son was born in THAILAND IN 1974. At that time we lived in Non Sung. We left Thailand in 1976 and have lived in the U.S.A ever since. My son is now interested in dual citizenship, USA/Thai and a "original" Thai birth certificate is one of the required documents. However, somehow we have lost the original. I only have a copy of the original. I contacted the Mueng Udon Thani District office to get an original but was told by them that in 1976 there was a flood in that area and many documents were destroyed, including my sons birth certificate. Does anyone have any ideas on how I should proceed? My feelings are that they should be able to "reissue" a birth certificate since they were in possession of it when it was destroyed. I should also mention that I'm divorced now from Thai wife so my Son and I are kind of going through this on our own. Thank you.
Just a thought, have you tried contacting the Thai embassy or consulate for assistance.

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » April 22, 2015, 7:37 am

seems like you were at Ramasun the same time as me.. I'd say dig through the Thai MFA website here: http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/home I recall finding a page on it one time that explained how to reclaim Thai citizenship. As mentioned you could possibly try the Thai Embassy in DC but no guarantees they could provide you with clear guidance.. Its probably something your son would have to return to Udon with all paperwork in hand, family witnesses etc. to get done and even then it would likely be at the whim of a district bureaucrat as to whether or not it could happen...
Dave

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 22, 2015, 8:16 am

booboo07 wrote: I only have a copy of the original.
Just a thought. Unless the original is embossed, with the colour printers these days, I'm not sure how you identify an original from a copy.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » April 22, 2015, 12:25 pm

There are many reasons in Thailand why there is no (longer) an official birth certificate. In ealier times there were situations (births given at home) in which birth certificates were never issued.

But Thailand bureaucratic system knows about alternatives. Most often called "certificates of location of birth". These can be (re)constructed even later or again in the subjects life. Some attempts use the existence of documents in primary schools to verify the location of birth. Other cases might involve pure declaration by parents or witnesses (see post #2).

In any case You have to go to the Amphoe where the son was born. Find family members first.
Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » April 22, 2015, 1:41 pm

waanjai wrote:. Some attempts use the existence of documents in primary schools to verify the location of birth.
Yes, that was mentioned to me too, but a search there proved unsuccessful too.

booboo07

Post by booboo07 » April 23, 2015, 9:18 pm

Does anyone know the actual address of the: Office of the Registrar in Udon Thani? I think it is on Mukkamontri Rd.

carr2015

Post by carr2015 » July 10, 2016, 11:27 am

Greetings:
I am trying to learn more about my family tree and have hit a brick wall. My great-grandfather, Walter Emerson Toy (later changed to Joy(e)) was born in Siam (later changed to Thailand) (exactly the part known as Bankok) on July 10, 1892. His parents names were Walter B. Toy and Elizabeth Cooper Toy. Walter E. died in July of 1971 (not exactly sure where but it was in the US somewhere). I was just needing help obtaining his birth records please. I don't need the hard copies just would like to know if there is any where online were I can freely view a copy online. Please any help would be deeply appreciated. Thanks

Mildred Carr
[email protected]

Return to “Thailand Law”