US Tourist Visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
mak
udonmap.com

US Tourist Visa

Post by mak » October 21, 2022, 4:08 pm

My friend's girlfriend has an appointment in Bangkok for a US visa. What documents should she bring to the interview, such as chanotes, bank books, etc.?

tamada
udonmap.com

Re: US Tourist Visa

Post by tamada » October 21, 2022, 6:26 pm

Doesn't that depend on what sort of visa she's after?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 22, 2022, 8:12 am

well, the subject line indicates Tourist Visa. What does she need? She needs to convince the interviewing Consular Officer and the Thai employees pre-screening that she has an economic, family, and emotional attachment to Thailand that indicates she will return rather than overstay the visa.. So, a job history, a bankbook, a chanote, and family ties.. Does that mean she'll get it? No, but the bottom line is usually "money" and if she has a job/land/house/car here then chances are she'll get the visa. Once she gets an intial visa approved and comes back then the next one will likely be given for a 10 year period.

Conversely, if there are minimal economic links such as no real job, minimal money in the bank, minimal education, no house, no land, then you can be assured she likely won't get it.. I've seen people say the stupidest things when interviewed such as, "oh I'm going to get married.." Nope that is an immediate refusal. or "I'm going to work..." Immediate refusal..
Dave

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » October 24, 2022, 8:33 pm

Half of all Thai "tourists" who tried to visit Korea last year were turned around and sent back.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » October 25, 2022, 3:28 pm

that's because there are probably over a 100,000 Thai "little ghosts" working there illegally... Thais applying for tourist visas to the States are pretty tightly screened. That results in a return rate in the high 90% range.. Any Thai who goes to the States on a tourist visa and returns usually gets a 10 year tourist visa upon applying again.
Dave

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » November 22, 2022, 8:23 am

How long is the interview at the US Embassy Bangkok for the Thai national applying for a US B-2 tourist visa.
My friend's Thai girlfriend has an appointment next week at 10:30 am. Wants to know typically how long the interview lasts. They are from upcountry and what to make their travel arrangements to/from Bangkok accordingly.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » November 22, 2022, 8:50 am

As long as it takes for the staffer conducting the interview to make their judgement call, no? Depending on how that goes, they could make the noon Nok Air out of DMK or the evening Thai Smile out of BKK. Both could be after positive outcomes.

Or is it an email after-the-fact notification?
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » November 22, 2022, 3:21 pm

apppointment.
=Arrive.
=Pay visa fee at the cashier window up front. If you don't get the visa you do NOT get the money back.
=next window for 10 print fingerprint scan and photo. Wait for check to come back, if OK next window for interview
- pro forma set of questions; where are you going in the States, why? when are you coming back. Job, links, etc.
- go or no go and visa issued and affixed to Thai passport.
Dave

fdimike
udonmap.com

Post by fdimike » November 22, 2022, 6:36 pm

I believe the greatest hurdle for the applicant will be what will cause them to return to Thailand. I've known several people who were rejected because they were unable to prove that they will return to Thailand. A job is not enough. A teacher relative of mine married to a veterinarian was rejected twice because she wasn't able to provide sufficient proof that she would return to Thailand despite having a letter from her school director allowing her time for the trip. Additionally, the applicant will need a bank account with sufficient funds in it and be able to prove where the money came from. Lots of hurdles to say the least.
An ex-pat in the Land of Smile

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”