Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Whistler
udonmap.com

Re: Renew marriage visa

Post by Whistler » April 18, 2023, 12:51 pm

Doodoo wrote:
April 18, 2023, 12:15 pm
Or call immigration yourself
Me 'Hello, I have a question about what happens if wife dies and I am on a spousal visa'

IMM 'Has you wife died'?

Me 'Not yet'

IMM 'Is she seriously ill'?

Me 'No'

IMM 'why are you asking'?

Me ' She has been playing around with three men in the village, borrowed 150,000 bhat from mafia, sold all her gold and spent it on gambling, and starts drinking Lau Kau at 8:00AM every day'

IMM 'Do you have a gun'?

Me 'yes'.

IMM 'Go ahead, given what a bad wife she is, we will give you a special visa, good luck and aim well'?

I had a bumper sticker in Texas that read 'Beam me up Scotty'. I often wish I could find one in Udon Thani

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 18, 2023, 12:52 pm

Doodoo wrote:
April 18, 2023, 12:15 pm
Or call immigration yourself
Visit immigration and ask an official is even better.
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Old Grumpy
udonmap.com

Post by Old Grumpy » April 18, 2023, 1:06 pm

Doodoo wrote:
April 18, 2023, 12:09 pm
Ask Google instead

https://www.thaiembassy.com/faq/what-ha ... -wife-dies
Interesting it says will be no longer renewed, nothing about cancelling immmediately .
Age is a matter of mind.
If you don't mind, it doesn't matter.
Mark Twain,

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 18, 2023, 1:13 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
April 18, 2023, 11:56 am
A question about marriage visa. I read on another forum about a guy getting divorced who was visited just seven days after by the BMW team who informed him he was on overstay as his visa was now void and was being fined 20,000 bht and deported, he thinks his neighbours shopped him, but regardless how they knew I was surprised by the swiftness of the decision to cancel his visa, which started me thinking, how about if one of us was unlucky enough to have our wife die, would we be subjected to such swift action ?Not even enough time to arrange the funeral and how about the one year allowed to sell the house which would have been in her name .I know most of us would be eligible for retirement visa but not many would have the 800,000 in hand required. certainly not until the house was sold and that doesn't happen overnight .I can't find anything online about spouse's death, does anyone know.? I can't persuade the wife to ask in immigration she just tells me not to be silly as I am considerably older than her and she's not going before me. :-"
You did not get the full story. This is the usual case with second hand reports.
  • When you get divorced your reason for the extension of stay is no longer valid so the extension is immediately cancled.

If your wife dies your reason for the extension of stay is no longer valid so the extension is immediately cancelled.

If you do not immediately leave the country or apply for an extension of stay for a different reason you are on overstay.

The fine for overstay is ฿500 per day capped at ฿20,000 if caught by immigration there is a ban if you overstay more than 90 days there are progressively longer bans.

These are the letters of the rules.
The information of a ฿20,000 fine for 7 days overstay is wrong or a lie, for 7 days it is ฿3,500

However the immigration rules and immigration practice is usually not exactly the same.
In general with the death of a spouse immigration will tell you not to do anything until your extension finishes.
It is also possible for the same courtesy to be extended with divorce but less likely specially if you are not on extremely friendly relationships with your neighbours and colleagues
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 18, 2023, 1:29 pm

Old Grumpy wrote:
April 18, 2023, 1:06 pm
Doodoo wrote:
April 18, 2023, 12:09 pm
Ask Google instead

https://www.thaiembassy.com/faq/what-ha ... -wife-dies
Interesting it says will be no longer renewed, nothing about cancelling immmediately .
A quote from a non official site has no bearing look at the disclaimer
Copyright © 2021 ThaiEmbassy.com. This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy. All Rights Reserved.
Also embassies are not immigration and it is immigration that sets the rules
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

Doodoo
udonmap.com

Post by Doodoo » April 18, 2023, 1:32 pm

No they are not Immigration, but they reflect the latest up to date information I would presume.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 18, 2023, 1:58 pm

Anyway, I went to Immigration this morning and three different officers told me not to worry about the 90 days, and that an extension or different 90 days report can be completed on May 16th. On the other hand, prior to speaking to the officials, three farangs waiting in line advised me that I would be fined 500 baht a day and have to leave Thailand and re-apply for the 90-day report from another country. It is all very confusing; however, for the moment, I will take the advice of my wife, and the three officers and not worry.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 18, 2023, 5:38 pm

Doodoo wrote:
April 18, 2023, 1:32 pm
No they are not Immigration, but they reflect the latest up to date information I would presume.
Many people have presumed, some correctly so, others with rather bad effects.

Assuming that any website has the latest up to date information (or even accurate information) in Thailand is is a bad idea.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 18, 2023, 5:47 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
April 18, 2023, 1:58 pm
Anyway, I went to Immigration this morning and three different officers told me not to worry about the 90 days, and that an extension or different 90 days report can be completed on May 16th. On the other hand, prior to speaking to the officials, three farangs waiting in line advised me that I would be fined 500 baht a day and have to leave Thailand and re-apply for the 90-day report from another country. It is all very confusing; however, for the moment, I will take the advice of my wife, and the three officers and not worry.
Once again there is a lot lost in translation and your wording and ignoring the correct terms of different items that immigration issues means that clearing up your confusion (though I probably know every one) is a Herculean task that is beyond me.

You are getting information that is probably wrong because you are asking the wrong questions and seem to be unable to ask the correct ones

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 18, 2023, 8:00 pm

My wife asked the three immigration officers the questions about what I need to do and when, showed them the original Non-O E visa in my passport, which expired on the 16th, and showed them the stamp in my passport that says I will have an answer on my application of stay by appearing again at the Immigration Bureau on May 16th. All three officers advised me in English not to worry about the Non-O visa expiring on the 16th of April.

Do you see anything wrong? Thanks.

deankham
udonmap.com

Post by deankham » April 19, 2023, 12:09 am

Looks good to me Yaa Moo.

If you see a BMW following you with some guys in Uniforms run like the wind and don't look back. I'll arrange a long-tail across the Mekong in the dead of night for you.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » April 19, 2023, 3:41 am

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
April 18, 2023, 8:00 pm
My wife asked the three immigration officers the questions about what I need to do and when, showed them the original Non-O E visa in my passport, which expired on the 16th, and showed them the stamp in my passport that says I will have an answer on my application of stay by appearing again at the Immigration Bureau on May 16th. All three officers advised me in English not to worry about the Non-O visa expiring on the 16th of April.

That is now an easily answered question.
You had an education visa that expired on Sunday.
Before that visa expired you applied for an extension of stay for marriage.
You received an under consideration stamp with a report back date on the 16th May

As soon as you had the under consideration stamp your permission to stay was extended until you report back for the 1 year extension of stay to be confirmed and stamped in your passport.
This will be dated to run from 16th April 2023 to 16th April 2024
At the moment region 4 immigration is processing marriage extensions within the 30 day under consideration period. So you can expect to get the stamps on Tuesday the 16th.

The 3 immigration officers and your wife were correct. The random foreigners were talking rubbish

One point that you haven’t mentioned and maybe you wife didn’t tell you is that you can expect to receive a visit from the immigration police at your home, they will interview your wife and a village local to confirm that your marriage is de facto and de jure. This is standard for all first time extensions of stay for marriage. Region 4 usually only visits the first year others get a visit more often sometimes every year.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » April 19, 2023, 8:40 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
April 19, 2023, 3:41 am
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
April 18, 2023, 8:00 pm

That is now an easily answered question.
You had an education visa that expired on Sunday.
Before that visa expired you applied for an extension of stay for marriage.
You received an under consideration stamp with a report back date on the 16th May

As soon as you had the under consideration stamp your permission to stay was extended until you report back for the 1 year extension of stay to be confirmed and stamped in your passport.
This will be dated to run from 16th April 2023 to 16th April 2024
At the moment region 4 immigration is processing marriage extensions within the 30 day under consideration period. So you can expect to get the stamps on Tuesday the 16th.

The 3 immigration officers and your wife were correct. The random foreigners were talking rubbish

One point that you haven’t mentioned and maybe you wife didn’t tell you is that you can expect to receive a visit from the immigration police at your home, they will interview your wife and a village local to confirm that your marriage is de facto and de jure. This is standard for all first time extensions of stay for marriage. Region 4 usually only visits the first year others get a visit more often sometimes every year.

Thanks for your patience. I should have looked at my passport when I first posted instead of guessing about what was taking place. By the way, the original Non-O is an E-Visa done online), not an Education Visa. Yes, I was informed on April 11th that they would coming around for a visit. Thanks again for your comments, my mind is at ease. You have been a great help.

eagle
udonmap.com

Post by eagle » April 19, 2023, 7:31 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
April 19, 2023, 3:41 am
I have been waiting for those visits about 13 years now. Meantime I have invited them to join some of our parties etc. with several police departments. Nothing happened.

To be honest, I have got the most difficult/demanding set of rules to follow. Asked what is needed and on D-Day it was not enough. Last year I did have full list (Embassy letter, bank letter, tax letter and whatsoever needed). Bank letter they asked. Then I gave not useful other letters, and they were happy. This year only bank and tax letters.

To make this clear, to show that you have paid tax from your income (never mind from where), it should be enough. I do have same amount declared for tax office for taxation purpose.

Please remember that most of the changes how to follow rules are based on cheaters. I miss those days when marriage certificate was enough. Now need to have updated copy etc...

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”