retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 1, 2020, 3:09 pm

Thanks for the information, so it was up to 700km a year and on a much worse road!
The date of 2010~2011 for the permanent office matches my contacts info.

I’m glad things have got better, it rather puts into perspective the complaints that people have over the slight toughening of the rules. Maybe they would prefer the older times :lol:

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » February 2, 2020, 2:26 am

Time to put this irrelevant part to bed , people are assuming it has everything to do with Police /Immigration , re-under consideration , The police /immigration do not have access to the Ampher computer net work ,hence "under consideration ," therefor the paper work /Application has to be sent to a Government administration building ,( who have access to the Ampher offices network system eg Birth ,Marriages And deaths ) to verify the documentation ,The one all of issan use is Khon Kaen ,,,,,,so to keep quoting /pecking division 4 HQ is irrelevant as they have no access to the Ampher network system,SOMETIME soon hopefully then the under consideration will be defunct ,

It would seem many have jumped onto this band waggon when the real point was (as helpful as the pecker can be at times )he always throws in a quote which to some could find very misleading , EG , UDON are not checking the 800,000 bht 3 months after , so some (could be fore given) for thinking the GURU say's it's ok , no need to have the money in the bank afterwards ,just remember there are thoughs here who are now struggling to meet the new reg's ,many are looking for another way around it all, (so they'er not checking hmm ) some have left , quite a few pay the agents ,(but i find that's more to do with the OA insurance requirement ,as they can't get coverage ,due to age and existing med conditions )

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » February 2, 2020, 5:32 am

samuel wrote:
January 30, 2020, 5:11 pm
the one and only person to tell you what you need and how it works to have your stay extended is … guess who …

the Immigration officer you meet at the Immigration office in charge of you on the very day you go there and ask.

as i always say: they won't bite you.
cheers.

Hoopoe
udonmap.com

Post by Hoopoe » February 2, 2020, 2:04 pm

samuel wrote:
February 2, 2020, 5:32 am
samuel wrote:
January 30, 2020, 5:11 pm
the one and only person to tell you what you need and how it works to have your stay extended is … guess who …

the Immigration officer you meet at the Immigration office in charge of you on the very day you go there and ask.

as i always say: they won't bite you.
cheers.
Samuel absolutely correct. Just a thought have you ever watched on u tube the territorial aggression of a wood pecker.555

samuel
udonmap.com

Post by samuel » February 2, 2020, 2:33 pm

dealing with thai IO is very easy - just follow their rules.
if you don't know their rules - just go there and ask them.
hassle free as long as you are behaving respectful and dressed appropriately.

if you rely on any Information on social media given by people not in charge of you - then it is your own choice.
but be aware: better safe than sorry.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » February 25, 2020, 1:50 pm

I renewed my year visa on Monday, there was a notice on the IO desk explaining the new rules.I only had my 800,000 baht in for the minimum 2 months, she also explained about keeping the 800k unused for the first 3 months which she said would be checked at next year renewal. I’m assuming updating my bank book at the ATM for the next 3 months will be sufficient but I’m not 100% sure.An earlier post I wrote about changing visa to a Child dependant,after some investigation it seems you would need to go before a judge and find a solicitor to legitimize a child however when the child is 6 ( next year) you just go to the local district office and the child is allowed to point you out (so I’ve been informed) so I’ve decided to stay on retirement for this year.Im only reporting my experience regarding My visa renewal for others it may have been different.Only took about 20 minutes. The bit I struggle to understand is not being able to access the 800K immediately.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 25, 2020, 2:15 pm

Chuchi wrote:
February 25, 2020, 1:50 pm
The bit I struggle to understand is not being able to access the 800K immediately.
You can probably blame those here on dodgy, agent-assisted extensions. The agent fronts the 800k for the extension, and then takes it back immediately.

Given this practice is obviously lucrative to all those involved on the Thai side, it invites the obvious observation that while it remains, it will be only those on fully legitimate extensions who will suffer from the "3 months after" rule. :-$

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 25, 2020, 3:24 pm

Chuchi wrote:
I renewed my year visa on Monday, there was a notice on the IO desk explaining the new rules.I only had my 800,000 baht in for the minimum 2 months, she also explained about keeping the 800k unused for the first 3 months which she said would be checked at next year renewal. I’m assuming updating my bank book at the ATM for the next 3 months will be sufficient but I’m not 100% sure.An earlier post I wrote about changing visa to a Child dependant,after some investigation it seems you would need to go before a judge and find a solicitor to legitimize a child however when the child is 6 ( next year) you just go to the local district office and the child is allowed to point you out (so I’ve been informed) so I’ve decided to stay on retirement for this year.Im only reporting my experience regarding My visa renewal for others it may have been different.Only took about 20 minutes. The bit I struggle to understand is not being able to access the 800K immediately.
I think you may find that the age where becoming the legal father becomes easier is 7 rather than 6.

The requirements for proof of balance in your account are not clear at the moment, nobody who falls under the new rules has reported yet, the proof that has been mentioned by some offices is a bank statement that covers the full 12/13 months. If that is needed most banks say that it can take a week to get.

However by the time your next renewal is due Udon immigration requirements should be clear.

Were you told that you needed to keep 400k minimum balance after the 3 months?

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » February 25, 2020, 3:29 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
February 25, 2020, 3:24 pm
Chuchi wrote:
I think you may find that the age where becoming the legal father becomes easier is 7 rather than 6.

The requirements for proof of balance in your account are not clear at the moment, nobody who falls under the new rules has reported yet, the proof that has been mentioned by some offices is a bank statement that covers the full 12/13 months. If that is needed most banks say that it can take a week to get.

However by the time your next renewal is due Udon immigration requirements should be clear.

Were you told that you needed to keep 400k minimum balance after the 3 months?
I stand corrected Stww it is 7, he’s 6 in April as he keeps reminding me :D . Regarding the 400K I was informed not to go below this threshold after the 3 months.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 25, 2020, 4:04 pm

Its all a wee bit academic just now. Last year around May time I had quite a long discussion with STWW to do with what I had been told by the UDON THANI IO. In short as long as you had the 800K in your account 3 months prior to your next extension application then that was it. No having to show how much money in the bank thereafter. This is now coming up for proof of the pudding time, with the 'new rules' (I was told "Nothing has Changed")now in place next week for a full year. All reports from members will be most welcome for all to understand instead of just bashing keyboards on unfounded assumptions.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 25, 2020, 5:03 pm

If my memory serves me correctly this demand was touted by Immigration, but unworkable as they ( Thai Government ) cannot tell you to keep money in the account the only requirement was for it to be THREE months prior to renewal. I amy stand corrected but I agree with the previous poster not bashing the keyboard on assumptions .

The situation will remain fluid as it were, after suffering from the very bad exchange rate, over the last few months many who are sound are having difficulties, it has improved but often the DEMAND for each and every month will take its toll especially IF for one or two months people are unable to make the necessary and being pensioners have no means of increasing their income . This I am sure will apply to about 80 % of people here on a retirement visa.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 25, 2020, 5:12 pm

It will certainly be of great interest to hear from everyone who is extending for reasons of retirement with money in the bank rather than income and who does not just keep an account with minimum balance of 800k year round.

Even if you do keep an account with that minimum are you asked for a bank statement as well as a bank letter?

As mentioned the police order came into effect almost a year ago on March 1st 2019, though as has also been mentioned Udon immigration did not begin making the requirements clear at that time.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 25, 2020, 5:25 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
February 25, 2020, 5:03 pm
If my memory serves me correctly this demand was touted by Immigration, but unworkable as they ( Thai Government ) cannot tell you to keep money in the account the only requirement was for it to be THREE months prior to renewal. I amy stand corrected but I agree with the previous poster not bashing the keyboard on assumptions .
Immigration issued the order dated 19th January 2019 effective from 1 March 2019

Udon immigration is notifying people of the requirements today. No assumptions needed, 2.22 criteria 4

The only real question is will Udon immigration require applications from March 1st to comply with the amended police order or will they permit a grace period.
3FDA5313-436C-4767-BBC0-FDE5AFE766EF.jpeg
BA39035B-186D-4BFD-BCBA-614CF56E0E78.jpeg

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 25, 2020, 6:38 pm

STWW you banged these out last year as well and to my knowledge the only person that was binned was Big Joke himself. Can we just wait until we see what way the wind blows next month. I hope my information rather than your slavish following of a sacked cops wishes come true. I promise I will not say 'told you so' if you don't. Have a good evening.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » February 26, 2020, 9:05 am

AlexO wrote:
February 25, 2020, 4:04 pm
Its all a wee bit academic just now. Last year around May time I had quite a long discussion with STWW to do with what I had been told by the UDON THANI IO. In short as long as you had the 800K in your account 3 months prior to your next extension application then that was it. No having to show how much money in the bank thereafter. This is now coming up for proof of the pudding time, with the 'new rules' (I was told "Nothing has Changed")now in place next week for a full year. All reports from members will be most welcome for all to understand instead of just bashing keyboards on unfounded assumptions.
Agree Alex the more feedback from members can only be a good thing, I would like to add the week before I had my 90 day report with the rather attractive lady IO ( women in uniform do it for me), she remarked that my extension of stay ended on the 3rd March.I told her that I would be in to renew my visa next week ( this week) but told her I wasn’t 100% confident in being granted a renewal.She told me any problems come back and see her on the last day and she would be able to grant me an extra 90 days for a fine of 2000Baht,she even stamped on my notification address receipt about granting an extended visa.I was quite relieved as I had no plan B and had no idea what I was going to do after the 3rd March if refused,as you’re aware it wasn’t necessary as I was granted a new 1 year visa.My opinion if the new rules are to be implemented the retirement visa has become farcical, being asked to hold 800k and not being able to spend it for 5 months in a year and not go under 400k as well throughout the year is a Big Joke.In previous years on renewal day I’ve left the imm office relieved and content,this year I walked out deflated as I fail to see much benefit.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 26, 2020, 11:25 am

Chuchi wrote:
February 26, 2020, 9:05 am
AlexO wrote:
February 25, 2020, 4:04 pm
Its all a wee bit academic just now.
Agree Alex the more feedback from members can only be a good thing, I would like to add the week before I had my 90 day report with the rather attractive lady IO ( women in uniform do it for me), she remarked that my extension of stay ended on the 3rd March.I told her that I would be in to renew my visa next week ( this week) but told her I wasn’t 100% confident in being granted a renewal.She told me any problems come back and see her on the last day and she would be able to grant me an extra 90 days for a fine of 2000Baht,she even stamped on my notification address receipt about granting an extended visa.I was quite relieved as I had no plan B and had no idea what I was going to do after the 3rd March if refused,as you’re aware it wasn’t necessary as I was granted a new 1 year visa.My opinion if the new rules are to be implemented the retirement visa has become farcical, being asked to hold 800k and not being able to spend it for 5 months in a year and not go under 400k as well throughout the year is a Big Joke.In previous years on renewal day I’ve left the imm office relieved and content,this year I walked out deflated as I fail to see much benefit.
The extra information is very useful, in that yours is the first “post March expiration” extension so you could have been considered to be either under the new rules (that, despite what Alex is thumping out on his keyboard, are being notified now so can be expected to be enforced, at the least from next year’s extension) or still under the old rules.

It is also very useful to know that Udon are willing to allow (what is almost certainly an in country Non-O Visa due to the cost and period) 90 days for people who for some reason don’t qualify.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 26, 2020, 1:31 pm

The extra information is very useful, in that yours is the first “post March expiration” extension so you could have been considered to be either under the new rules (that, despite what Alex is thumping out on his keyboard, are being notified now so can be expected to be enforced, at the least from next year’s extension) or still under the old rules.

Ah STWW you are back to the maybe, probably and or scenario's you are so fond of. It sounds as if Chuchi (without wanting to know financial details) was given a 1 year extension based on previous rules not new rules or as you suggest maybe not until next year?? till they enforce a rule you claim is in place now. Just leave it until a few more members have reported "facts" as happening in Udon T, don't care about other IO's in other provinces.

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » February 26, 2020, 8:39 pm

If my experience in Udon immigration this week is anything to go by and I take the assumption that we are all treated equally then the current retirement visa that people are on will not be affected by the new rules however future renewals will be.

AlexO
udonmap.com

Post by AlexO » February 26, 2020, 9:16 pm

Chuchi wrote:
February 26, 2020, 8:39 pm
If my experience in Udon immigration this week is anything to go by and I take the assumption that we are all treated equally then the current retirement visa that people are on will not be affected by the new rules however future renewals will be.
Thank you. =D> =D> =D>

Chuchi
udonmap.com

Post by Chuchi » February 27, 2020, 7:21 am

jackspratt wrote:
February 25, 2020, 2:15 pm
Chuchi wrote:
The bit I struggle to understand is not being able to access the 800K immediately.
You can probably blame those here on dodgy, agent-assisted extensions. The agent fronts the 800k for the extension, and then takes it back immediately.

Given this practice is obviously lucrative to all those involved on the Thai side, it invites the obvious observation that while it remains, it will be only those on fully legitimate extensions who will suffer from the "3 months after" rule. :-$
The sad thing is Jack the dodgy will continue to be dodgy if they couldn’t meet the financial requirement before there’s even less chance now. ,The legitimate who suffer many selflessly using their incomes to take care of Thai families I’m afraid out of pure desperation may find themselves going underground.The lucrative business you talk about is more likely to expand rather than shrink.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”