sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 1, 2020, 4:58 pm

Mike-Quebec wrote:
March 1, 2020, 4:45 pm
Here it is
OK

Your visa is dead, it is no more, it is an x-visa, it has died and gone to heaven. To paraphrase Monty Python.

You have an extension of stay.

You will not need insurance.

Are you using money in the bank or income?

If money in the bank you must have had 800k on deposit for at least 2 months before you apply for your extension.

You can apply for your extension on or after 7th May
applying early for the extension makes no difference to the period given, it will be until 6 June 2021

Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

Mike-Quebec
udonmap.com

Post by Mike-Quebec » March 2, 2020, 7:52 am

yes I make sure that I have much more of all the money I need in Thai bank during all the years so I dont get in to problem
Thank you very much for your time and info, I appreciate.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » March 2, 2020, 10:04 am

STW, you raise an interesting point relevant to my own circumstances.

I have an OA visa which expired June 2019. My permission to stay is to May 2020.

Given the changes, I was looking at the best way of doing things after May and I hadn't considered an extension of my current Visa. I assumed that, once the Visa had expired , it was dead and couldn't be extended after the "extra year" permission to stay expired.

If your advice above is correct, I will be trying go extend a Visa which expired 11 months previously which seems wrong?

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » March 2, 2020, 10:42 am

You can't extend your visa - it has expired, and is void.

You can, however, extend your permission to stay for another year after May 2020, provided you meet all the criteria. For such an extension, you will need approved health insurance because you started on an OA visa.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 2, 2020, 1:25 pm

You have made the common error of many people in thinking that the system in Thailand is the same as in other countries.

It is not.

The visa allows you to enter the country (subject to IO discretion) picture above
You are then given permission to stay in the country picture above
The time you are allowed to stay in the country is independent of the date your visa expires it is this point that is different to many other countries practice and where confusion arises.
samster wrote:
March 2, 2020, 10:04 am
STW, you raise an interesting point relevant to my own circumstances.

I have an OA visa which expired June 2019. My permission to stay is to May 2020.
As has been mentioned you DO NOT have a visa and as you said above

Your visa has passed on! Your visa is no more! It has ceased to be! 'It expired and gone to meet 'is maker! 'It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! 'It's off the twig! 'It's kicked the bucket, 'it's shuffled off 'its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! IT is AN EX-VISA!!
samster wrote:

Given the changes, I was looking at the best way of doing things after May and I hadn't considered an extension of my current Visa. I assumed that, once the Visa had expired , it was dead and couldn't be extended after the "extra year" permission to stay expired.
You are correct apart from the fact that a VISA can NEVER be extended or renewed
samster wrote:

If your advice above is correct, I will be trying go extend a Visa which expired 11 months previously which seems wrong?
You are correct apart from the fact that a VISA can NEVER be extended or renewed

However what you do have is different animal it is a valid PERMISSION to STAY (not a visa)

A permission to stay (again as has been mentioned) CAN be extended

Again as has been mentioned it will cost considerably more (probably over 50,000 Baht for insurance ) since the dead visa it started from is an OA.

My personal choice if I were in your situation would be to visit HCMC just before the current permission to stay expires and get a new Non O Visa, this would probably be less expensive this year and certainly very much less next year (always assuming no further changes)

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » March 2, 2020, 5:59 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
March 2, 2020, 1:25 pm

My personal choice if I were in your situation would be to visit HCMC just before the current permission to stay expires and get a new Non O Visa, this would probably be less expensive this year and certainly very much less next year (always assuming no further changes)
Thanks for further clarification.

Re trip to HCMC. Not married and not on state pension which means I am unable to get an O Visa in my home country (UK). Are you suggesting the rules are different in Vietnam if I get a Visa?

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » March 2, 2020, 6:47 pm

samster wrote:
March 2, 2020, 5:59 pm

Thanks for further clarification.

Re trip to HCMC. Not married and not on state pension which means I am unable to get an O Visa in my home country (UK). Are you suggesting the rules are different in Vietnam if I get a Visa?
Exactly.

Each embassy and consulate has slightly different rules and is better for a Visa for a different purpose. I don’t remember if HCMC will issue a multi entry Non O but as all you need is a single entry and it is probably the most convenient from Udon that is why I suggested that, you may even not need a visa for Vietnam, also I think that you do not need to show money in the bank but I’m not sure on that point and you already have the money anyway.

For example Savannakhet is a good choice for a multi entry based on marriage with no proof of savings, whilst Vientiane Will not issue that visa unless you have legal residency in Laos and you must show savings.

PS I may possibly have confused Hanoi and HCMC as the go to destination for your visa.
The Guru is Ubonjoe on Thaivisa he has an encyclopaedic and current knowledge of all the local embassies/consulates and visas that the issue. He will have a definitive answer of the places to go to for your new visa.

ubonjoe wrote:
In an answer to somebody yesterday

The embassy in Vientiane will issue a single entry non-o visa. You would need financial proof, a police clearance certificate and a medical certificate. They can done here.
The consulates in Savannakhet and Penang will issue one with financial proof only and proof you are retired.
I don’t know what the proof of retirement is.

rct
udonmap.com

retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by rct » January 31, 2021, 3:03 am

Immigration requires a "same day as application" certified bank statement for 12 months, to verify the full 800,000 minimum was left in the account for months following the last extension, in addition to the two months prior to current new application.

Plus leaving minimum 400,000 in the account for the entire 12 month period.

A bank statement showing only 2-3 months prior to current application will not suffice.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » October 4, 2022, 7:58 pm

May be of interest, this was news to me:

I have been using the income method (65k per month) to extend my non-O retirement visa.

Today I decided to apply using the 800k method.

I was advised by the immigration officer that if I apply using the 800k method I will not be allowed to go back to the income method in subsequent years.
UFF DA!

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » October 4, 2022, 9:33 pm

Jello wrote:
October 4, 2022, 7:58 pm
May be of interest, this was news to me:

I have been using the income method (65k per month) to extend my non-O retirement visa.

Today I decided to apply using the 800k method.

I was advised by the immigration officer that if I apply using the 800k method I will not be allowed to go back to the income method in subsequent years.
That advice is apocryphal, though it may not as easy as you may like you can certainly insist and may well have to be persistent and of course polite in that insistence going over the head of the frontline officer if needed. Naturally there are likely to be obstacles added but go early enough and make sure you have all your ducks lined up and you will succeed.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » January 14, 2023, 4:32 pm

Can I ask

You go through the process to extend your Non O Retirement Visa each and every 12 months, at which time you present your letter from the Thai Bank, proving that you have had a balance of 800K for the last six months leading up to say your Jan 2023 application to extend (as a single person) - Correct.

Then comes time to do the next year 12 month down the track in Jan 2024

My questions are
1.For that Jan 2024 extension can it be or can you use, the same 800K Bank Balance i.e. the 800K that you parked in the Bank back in 2022 (when applying for the Jan 2023 extension) or do you have to transfer in for overseas another 800K amount each and every year, preceding each application to extend? If that make sense.

2.is it that you must bring into Thailand 800K every year for the Non O Retirement Visa or bring in 65,000 each month from overseas for the 12 month leading up to that extension application.

3.Does the 800K Deposit into your Thai Bank account need to be transferred in from overseas (in a foreign currency amount) or can one simply deposit the 800K locally (in Thailand) into that bank account, at any time during the year preceding the application date (minimum 6 months before the application date).

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 14, 2023, 4:56 pm

Put your 800k (from anywhere) into an interest bearing Term Deposit, and forget about it - you are good to go for years to come.

I believe the time in bank preceding your application is 2 months for your first application, and three months for subsequent applications. Not relevant (after the first year) if you have parked the money.

There may be rules around about not touching the money (if that is your requirement) for a period after the extension is granted. I'm sure Woody can jump in and give you the details.

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » January 14, 2023, 5:14 pm

Rules about not touching the money - must maintain 800,000 baht in the bank for 3 months after your extension, then can use half - must keep 400,000 in the bank for the next 6 months, then top up to 800,000 again 3 months before the next extension. Because of the hassles involved in keeping the right amount of money in the account, as Jack says, best to keep 800,000 in there and forget about it.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 14, 2023, 5:45 pm

rick wrote:
January 14, 2023, 5:14 pm
Rules about not touching the money - must maintain 800,000 baht in the bank for 3 months after your extension, then can use half - must keep 400,000 in the bank for the next 6 months, then top up to 800,000 again 3 months before the next extension. Because of the hassles involved in keeping the right amount of money in the account, as Jack says, best to keep 800,000 in there and forget about it.
Not quite accurate
must maintain 800,000 baht in the bank for 3 months after your extension, then can use half - must keep 400,000 in the bank for the next
This is correct
The mistake is
6 months, then top up to 800,000 again 3 months before the next extension.
The correct information is 7 months at a minimum of 400k and then 800,000 again 2 months before the next extension.

So
month 1~3 800k
Month 4-10 400k
Months 11 & 12 800k

Or at total of 5 consecutive months at 800k then 7 months at 400k

Though the recommendation of 800k in a term deposit (if you have immediate access with loss of interest) is a good one.
Immigration is strictly enforcing these, even 1 day under the limit and you will not get the renewal.

The conditions JS is talking about went away a few years ago. It is now the same for any renewal requiring a bank deposit of 2 months before application.

Of course TIT and you may be able to pay amounts of several (to many) times the statutory fees to an agent to bend the rules.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » January 14, 2023, 7:07 pm

jackspratt wrote:
January 14, 2023, 4:56 pm
Put your 800k (from anywhere) into an interest bearing Term Deposit, and forget about it - you are good to go for years to come.

I believe the time in bank preceding your application is 2 months for your first application, and three months for subsequent applications. Not relevant (after the first year) if you have parked the money.

There may be rules around about not touching the money (if that is your requirement) for a period after the extension is granted. I'm sure Woody can jump in and give you the details.
Thanks Jack

Still have about 2 more years to go (I think) before I pull up stumps. I suppose the rules could change between now and late 2025

I was hoping the Thais would simplify or settle down the rules for the 10 Year Long term Residency Visa over the next 18 months. A 10 year renewable visa without going through a complicated process would be nice, if the Thai Government could ever manage it. Will have to wait and see what the next 18-24 months bring from their side

pipoz4444
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

pipadoo
udonmap.com

Post by pipadoo » January 17, 2023, 12:57 pm

Hi
Someone on AseanNow reported that for Non O extension in Pattaya you can produce a bank letter and 6 month statement up to 7 days prior to application provided you produce your bank book updated to day of application
Can any confirm if that is possible in Udonthani?
Thanks for all replies

fatbob
udonmap.com

Post by fatbob » January 17, 2023, 4:21 pm

pipadoo wrote:
January 17, 2023, 12:57 pm
Hi
Someone on AseanNow reported that for Non O extension in Pattaya you can produce a bank letter and 6 month statement up to 7 days prior to application provided you produce your bank book updated to day of application
Can any confirm if that is possible in Udonthani?
Thanks for all replies
For Udon Immigration you need a bank letter and 12 month bank statement if submitting by yourself, with an agent I have no idea.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » January 17, 2023, 5:52 pm

For Udon Immigration you need a bank letter and 12 month bank statement if submitting by yourself, with an agent I have no idea.

AND to top all this BS off you need to deposit xx (100) Baht into your Thai account so as to be seen that a transaction was completed on the day you do your renewal.

Are they trying to drive all we "legal applicants" to agencies for a bigger slice of the cake??

Your "BS" bankbook HAS to reflect the final balance on your statement/letter. Must be the last frontier in the 3rd world where a bankbook is a bible!
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » January 17, 2023, 9:02 pm

Patience BD.

https://cointelegraph.com/news/bank-of- ... ks-by-2025

Also mentioned in Bangkok Post a couple of days back.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 18, 2023, 8:19 am

Bandung_Dero wrote:
January 17, 2023, 5:52 pm

Your "BS" bankbook HAS to reflect the final balance on your statement/letter. Must be the last frontier in the 3rd world where a bankbook is a bible!
That is an interesting claim.

If you claim that in udon immigration the amount on the Bank certified statement must have exactly the same figures as are shown on the Bank book, I have categorical proof that your claim is wrong.

I submitted a bank letter and statement issued on the 29th (the day of application for my extension) that showed the balance and statement as of the 28th, my bank book showed the transactions with a deposit of ฿100 on the 29th so the bank book number was ฿100 higher than the certified letter and statement.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”