retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
User avatar
boes
udonmap.com
Posts: 330
Joined: March 8, 2008, 1:13 am
Location: Right here....

retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by boes » January 29, 2020, 4:00 pm

Can anybody please explain exactly which documents, if any, are needed apart from bank book with 800.000 , photocopies updated bankbook , passport with copies , TM 7, personal photo, bank letter stating money in account on application day, yellow house book plus 1.900 Thb...Big thanks in advance !



User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 2424
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 29, 2020, 4:20 pm

boes wrote:
January 29, 2020, 4:00 pm
Can anybody please explain exactly which documents, if any, are needed apart from bank book with 800.000 , photocopies updated bankbook , passport with copies , TM 7, personal photo, bank letter stating money in account on application day, yellow house book plus 1.900 Thb...Big thanks in advance !
You can’t extend a visa, you can extend a permission to stay.

The documents you need to extend your permission to stay depends on exactly which visa you originally had.

Was it a Non O or a Non O-A.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
boes
udonmap.com
Posts: 330
Joined: March 8, 2008, 1:13 am
Location: Right here....

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by boes » January 29, 2020, 5:16 pm

Initially Non B changed to retirement at Udon Immigration 2014. Only stamped Retirement from first no O or O-A (I know it's a permission to stay )

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 2424
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 29, 2020, 11:11 pm

boes wrote:
January 29, 2020, 5:16 pm
Initially Non B changed to retirement at Udon Immigration 2014. Only stamped Retirement from first no O or O-A (I know it's a permission to stay )
OK it’s the same as an extension from a Non O then.

The new financial requirements are that you must have the 800k in your account for 2 months prior to application the for 3 months after and not let your account drop under 400k at any time.

However Udon seems to be going by the old rules which were you must have the money in the bank for 3 months on application and have no need to keep any balance after.

You will need both the bank letter confirming the current balance and a statement covering at least the last 3 months (the bank usually gives 6 months)

The yellow book is not a requirement but certainly does no harm.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
Hoopoe
udonmap.com
Posts: 706
Joined: January 31, 2015, 5:15 pm

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by Hoopoe » January 30, 2020, 5:55 am

boes wrote:
January 29, 2020, 5:16 pm
Initially Non B changed to retirement at Udon Immigration 2014. Only stamped Retirement from first no O or O-A (I know it's a permission to stay )
STWW wrote However Udon seems to be going by the old rules which were you must have the money in the bank for 3 months on application and have no need to keep any balance after.

My advice ignore this comment , stick by the the rules , keep the funds 800,000 bht in your account for at least 3 months after being granted extension of stay , and only reducing to a minimum of 400,000 bht for the next 6 months ,at which time if you want to renew again you'll have to increase the balance back to 800,000 bht for the 3 months before application ,
It's no good on the renewal if immigration turn round and say , you didn't keep within the rules from the last extension, we can't therefore give you an extension .
You saying ,AH but STWW said , will not carry any meaning with immigration ,
After march will be interesting as to see who has abided by the rules , time will tell , and the cries of i believed Udon IO wernt enforcing the retaining a minimum of 400,000 bht , will just fall on deaf ears ,

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 2424
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 30, 2020, 7:20 am

Hoopoe wrote:
January 30, 2020, 5:55 am
boes wrote:
January 29, 2020, 5:16 pm
Initially Non B changed to retirement at Udon Immigration 2014. Only stamped Retirement from first no O or O-A (I know it's a permission to stay )
STWW wrote However Udon seems to be going by the old rules which were you must have the money in the bank for 3 months on application and have no need to keep any balance after.

My advice ignore this comment , stick by the the rules , keep the funds 800,000 bht in your account for at least 3 months after being granted extension of stay , and only reducing to a minimum of 400,000 bht for the next 6 months ,at which time if you want to renew again you'll have to increase the balance back to 800,000 bht for the 3 months before application ,
It's no good on the renewal if immigration turn round and say , you didn't keep within the rules from the last extension, we can't therefore give you an extension .
You saying ,AH but STWW said , will not carry any meaning with immigration ,
After march will be interesting as to see who has abided by the rules , time will tell , and the cries of i believed Udon IO wernt enforcing the retaining a minimum of 400,000 bht , will just fall on deaf ears ,
I am reporting the case as it is. I did not give advice (apart from bank paperwork And time required before applying ) on how much and how long to keep money in the bank. “boes” did not asK for advice on that, so I didn’t offer it.

Immigration offices who are certainly following the new rules are handing out a 3 month, after extension issuance, 800k report back information sheet. Udon is not requiring a 3 month after, 800k report. Udon immigration have also told at least one person that they do not need to keep money in the bank after. You are welcome to interpret that as you want.

If asked to advise I would recommend keeping an account with 800k in it year round, or as a minimum not letting it fall under 400k for the 6 month period permitted by combining the old and new rules.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
Hoopoe
udonmap.com
Posts: 706
Joined: January 31, 2015, 5:15 pm

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by Hoopoe » January 30, 2020, 2:18 pm

There ya go again. No evidence on who was told or proof of. (re three months containing 800,000 bht after extension) plus the poster could easily have been babysitting
There's nothing to stop IO from checking your bank account at next extension. For the 3months and further 6months at 400.000 bht.requirement .for last extension.
I asked this amongst other questions last April. She answered all except the six month's and three months requirement. She replied to these with a knowing smirk. I know her well enough to read into this there is a great likelihood they will be checking.
So take some of your own advice. Don't give out information that could easily be misleading.
I now notice you've changed your tune on the marriage application to being sent to Khon Kaen and not Korat as you used to tell everyone. And when I pointed out it was Khon Kaen. You slated me as being wrong... Not that it makes any difference to the process where it's sent.
Have a nice day

samuel
udonmap.com
Posts: 588
Joined: July 31, 2014, 11:00 am
Location: Udon Thani

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by samuel » January 30, 2020, 5:11 pm

the one and only person to tell you what you need and how it works to have your stay extended is … guess who …

the Immigration officer you meet at the Immigration office in charge of you on the very day you go there and ask.

as i always say: they won't bite you.
cheers.

Manxlad
udonmap.com
Posts: 57
Joined: March 14, 2015, 9:15 pm

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by Manxlad » January 30, 2020, 6:55 pm

My tens cents worth...renewed my extension last November...was issued at the time the paperwork informing any applicant of the financial requirements etc ie the 800 baht and the 400 bht Requirements etc.
So today I went to do my first 90 report on the new extension of stay..saw mr happy at his desk, showed him my passport and yellow 90 paperwork and also handed him my updated bank book to show the seasoned 800000 baht. He didn’t even look, just handed it back unchecked and processed my 90 day report as per norm. Totally disinterested in the bank statement
But TIT and it could all change tomorrow ...but that’s how it was today

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 2424
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 30, 2020, 7:59 pm

Hoopoe wrote:
January 30, 2020, 2:18 pm
There ya go again. No evidence on who was told or proof of. (re three months containing 800,000 bht after extension) plus the poster could easily have been babysitting
There's nothing to stop IO from checking your bank account at next extension. For the 3months and further 6months at 400.000 bht.requirement .for last extension.
I asked this amongst other questions last April. She answered all except the six month's and three months requirement. She replied to these with a knowing smirk. I know her well enough to read into this there is a great likelihood they will be checking.
So take some of your own advice. Don't give out information that could easily be misleading.
I now notice you've changed your tune on the marriage application to being sent to Khon Kaen and not Korat as you used to tell everyone. And when I pointed out it was Khon Kaen. You slated me as being wrong... Not that it makes any difference to the process where it's sent.
Have a nice day
My first reply did not give advice as it was not asked for it, gave information for people to make their own choices and I have never identified the person or people who are my sources. More complete information is always better than edited or incomplete information.

Region 4 HQ was in Korat and moved to Khon Kaen.

The advice which will be completely safe is
If asked to advise I would recommend keeping an account with 800k in it year round, or as a minimum not letting it fall under 400k for the 6 month period permitted by combining the old and new rules.
The only way you, I or anybody else will know if Udon is following the new retirement bank money rules are if people are required to provide a detailed 1 year bank statement after March 1 this year. It will have to be a bank statement as bank books do not automatically have every transaction recorded unless you update them frequently.

While immigration officers and offices may not the most liked people and places we have to deal with they are not generally sneaky and underhand, they don’t try to make people fail to comply with the rules so they can refuse an extension. The “knowing smirk” could easily mean that they are going to forget to check “after extension” balances
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
Hoopoe
udonmap.com
Posts: 706
Joined: January 31, 2015, 5:15 pm

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by Hoopoe » January 30, 2020, 8:46 pm

Region 4 HQ was in Korat and moved to Khon Kaen.
And there we have it STWW was right back then and is even more right now.
Where have we heard that before 😁😁😁
Never in the last 16 years has the marriage application been sent to Korat it's always been Khon Kaen

jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 12024
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by jackspratt » January 30, 2020, 10:52 pm

Hoopoe wrote:
January 30, 2020, 8:46 pm
Region 4 HQ was in Korat and moved to Khon Kaen.
And there we have it STWW was right back then and is even more right now.
Where have we heard that before 😁😁😁
Never in the last 16 years has the marriage application been sent to Korat it's always been Khon Kaen
Seems that quite a number on here over the years were under the same belief as STWW - based, seemingly, on advice from Udon Immigration

search.php?keywords=marriage+korat&fid%5B0%5D=22

:-k

User avatar
Stantheman
udonmap.com
Posts: 1227
Joined: February 9, 2009, 3:33 am
Location: USA (For Now)

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by Stantheman » January 31, 2020, 7:09 am

Manxlad wrote:
January 30, 2020, 6:55 pm
My tens cents worth...renewed my extension last November...was issued at the time the paperwork informing any applicant of the financial requirements etc ie the 800 baht and the 400 bht Requirements etc.
So today I went to do my first 90 report on the new extension of stay..saw mr happy at his desk, showed him my passport and yellow 90 paperwork and also handed him my updated bank book to show the seasoned 800000 baht. He didn’t even look, just handed it back unchecked and processed my 90 day report as per norm. Totally disinterested in the bank statement
But TIT and it could all change tomorrow ...but that’s how it was today
I can understand why Mr Happy didn't want to see bank book as that is not required at 90 day report. If you think about it who looks at bank book if you do 90 day report online(when it's working).

User avatar
Hoopoe
udonmap.com
Posts: 706
Joined: January 31, 2015, 5:15 pm

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by Hoopoe » January 31, 2020, 7:51 am

jackspratt wrote:
January 30, 2020, 10:52 pm
Hoopoe wrote:
January 30, 2020, 8:46 pm
Region 4 HQ was in Korat and moved to Khon Kaen.
And there we have it STWW was right back then and is even more right now.
Where have we heard that before 😁😁😁
Never in the last 16 years has the marriage application been sent to Korat it's always been Khon Kaen
Seems that quite a number on here over the years were under the same belief as STWW - based, seemingly, on advice from Udon Immigration

search.php?keywords=marriage+korat&fid%5B0%5D=22

:-k
Very good Jack , but going through all that , is hearsay , Udon immigration used to tell people it went to BKK just to placate them ,when pressed the lady with the glasses who became pregnant and then got a higher post a few years back (and by the way even MR nasty out of Nong Khai) both stated all "under consideration documents go to Khon Kaen,seems strange when 2 guys i know in Korat have their doc's sent to Khon Kaen ,as do guys applying in Cabin Buri and Buri Ram (That was all about extention based on marriage) ,,,,,,but regardless this (re retirement extention ) started with Woody stating (not for the first time) that Udon IO are not bothering with the after issuance checks ,thereby insinuating / Implying that its no longer a requirement ,this could easily be interpreted by many as gosspel , therefore making the mistake of believing it ,(yes its true,WHY ,they dont have to ,,read on ) BUT ON THE NEXT APPLICATION if the funds have not met the last extension of stay requirements ,for those daft enough to believe the insinuation /implication of a forum writer (so moved required funds or even spent them as a means to live ) will find themselves in deep ---- ,

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 2424
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by sometimewoodworker » January 31, 2020, 7:06 pm

jackspratt wrote:
January 30, 2020, 10:52 pm
Hoopoe wrote:
January 30, 2020, 8:46 pm
Region 4 HQ was in Korat and moved to Khon Kaen.
And there we have it STWW was right back then and is even more right now.
Where have we heard that before 😁😁😁
Never in the last 16 years has the marriage application been sent to Korat it's always been Khon Kaen
Seems that quite a number on here over the years were under the same belief as STWW - based, seemingly, on advice from Udon Immigration

search.php?keywords=marriage+korat&fid%5B0%5D=22

:-k
It’s OK Poooe has special needs and so get different treatment to everyone else including approval by a non existent office and a non division HQ.

All extensions based upon marriage are sent to the division level for approval. They have to my certain knowledge for at least 13 years and there is no reason that they would not have been done like that before, but I don’t know.
Division/Region 4 moved around 2 years ago from Korat, and my contact had their extensions approved in Korat until 2018.
Khon Kaen first had an immigrated office in around 2010/2011
Only those done in Bangkok and those in the central region are done in Bangkok at Division 3.
Last edited by sometimewoodworker on February 1, 2020, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

jackspratt
udonmap.com
Posts: 12024
Joined: July 2, 2006, 5:29 pm

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by jackspratt » January 31, 2020, 8:01 pm

Yes, I was wondering why the "hearsay" quoted a few years ago by a number of members in my link above has less credibility that the "hearsay" posted by Hoopoe above.

At the end of the day, the best indication we have on how Immigration is likely to act in any particular circumstance is based on precedent - not necessarily the law eg Udon Immigration and its handling of TM30s; or their charging for free services such as visa transfers into new passports, or proof of address letters.

Of course it can change at any time, but until/if it does change, and is reported here or on other forums, I welcome the advice and views of people who seem to take the time to understand, and post here for our benefit. =D>

User avatar
Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com
Posts: 5652
Joined: October 14, 2013, 4:39 pm

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 1, 2020, 1:31 am

As ever theres always loads of this n that , rules new rules n regs etc from immo .. best way is to just drop in the local Immo happy office n ask .. too much speculation and false info on the net just leads to crap.

Remember the goal posts are always moving ..

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

User avatar
sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com
Posts: 2424
Joined: October 7, 2008, 11:19 am

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by sometimewoodworker » February 1, 2020, 9:52 am

sometimewoodworker wrote:
January 31, 2020, 7:06 pm
jackspratt wrote:
January 30, 2020, 10:52 pm
Hoopoe wrote:
January 30, 2020, 8:46 pm
Region 4 HQ was in Korat and moved to Khon Kaen.
And there we have it STWW was right back then and is even more right now.
Where have we heard that before 😁😁😁
Never in the last 16 years has the marriage application been sent to Korat it's always been Khon Kaen
Seems that quite a number on here over the years were under the same belief as STWW - based, seemingly, on advice from Udon Immigration

search.php?keywords=marriage+korat&fid%5B0%5D=22

:-k
It’s OK Poooe has special needs and so get different treatment to everyone else including approval by a non existent office and a non division HQ.

All extensions based upon marriage are sent to the division level for approval. They have to my certain knowledge for at least 13 years and there is no reason that they would not have been done like that before, but I don’t know.
Division/Region 4 moved around 2 years ago from Korat, and my contact had their extensions approved in Korat until 2018.
Khon Kaen first had an immigrated office in around 2010/2011
Only those done in Bangkok and those in the central region are done in Bangkok at Division 3.
PS I am informed that Udon got its immigration office around the same time and that prior to that people had to use NongKai (I only have one source for that so any additional information is welcome)
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9568
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by parrot » February 1, 2020, 1:18 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
February 1, 2020, 9:52 am
PS I am informed that Udon got its immigration office around the same time and that prior to that people had to use NongKai (I only have one source for that so any additional information is welcome)
We came here in 1996 and were told the immigration office had recently closed....all business done in Nongkai. Custom in Udon was to bring a bottle of Johnnie Walker or a carton of cigarettes when you renewed. Once operations moved to Nongkai that practice stopped.
When I first arrived, no one did 90 day checks.....but that changed probably around 2000.
Somewhere between 2002 and 2003, a small immigration office opened on the ground floor of AEK. Renewal fees changed from 500 baht to 1900 baht. As I was told by one official, the Udon office was manned by people from Nongkai.....no extra pay for travel and they quickly became swamped with a long queue of foreigners. I remember times opting to go to the Nongkai office instead of fighting a long queue and a single immigration official at AEK.

Then AEK closed......all ops back to Nongkai until March of 2006 when the AEK office opened again. By 2008, all ops were back in Nongkai.
A satellite immigration office was open in the Udon airport in the later part of 2009 and up until at least the second half of 2010.
I sorted through the brain cells today for when the Udon office reopened near the police station......but came up empty. I'm guessing 2011. Ish.

User avatar
parrot
udonmap.com
Posts: 9568
Joined: March 19, 2006, 8:32 pm

Re: retirement visa extension based on 800.000 in bank

Post by parrot » February 1, 2020, 2:59 pm

Further historical tidbits: 2004 was the first year (since we arrived in 1996) that our extension was stamped on the spot. All previous extensions required returning after 30 days...sometimes after another 30 days.
Back in the days of Nongkai, it was common to make quarterly trips for 90 day checks, a trip for annual extension, and one or two trips for confirmation of annual extension.
That's 100km roundtrip minimum from Udon.....the first few years we were here it was a 2 lane road.

Post Reply

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”