Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
tamada
udonmap.com

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by tamada » November 29, 2019, 9:27 am

I am qualified for retirement but keep busy with consultant work while I still have some oil in my tank. Up until maybe 3 years ago, I had the pick of maybe 3 or 4 gigs a year that helped my avoid 90-day reports but more importantly, got me out of this arguably blighted Realm for a reality check. Last year, I did about 6 months work straight with a few very short breaks at home before taking a longish break back here. As happened on a prior long layover, the wheels begin to spin, small things begin to assume disproportionate importance and the place basically starts to do my head in. Before the oldest was in school, we would simply take spontaneous family vacations to break the monotony. Nowadays, that is hard to do with the ill-timed Thai school holiday schedule... see what I mean about relatively small things suddenly being big annoyances?! Anyway, during the current extended homestay, I did manage a couple of months of extensive home renovations and "honey do's" but as soon as there was an industry convention or meeting in Bangkok, Saigon or KL, or mates visiting Bangkok and Pattaya on holiday, I was gone!

Good luck to pipoz on staying in harness a bit longer. With an inevitable global recession, topping up the bank account is a bonus IMHO. Just keep in mind that there's increased scrutiny of those fronting up at Bangkok's airports on back-to-back tourist visas. Several oil patch guys, married and living here who have been doing 28/28 work tours in a third country and using either visa exmpt and SETV/METV entries have been bailed up to get the "correct" visa for their circumstances. I recall there may be an unwritten cap on how many SETV/METV entries once can do or maybe it's a restriction on how many one can get in regional embassies and consulates? The border out/in at Nong Khai still seems to be drama free but some other land borders have been on the avoid list for a few years already.

mr passout
udonmap.com

Post by mr passout » November 29, 2019, 9:48 am

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » November 29, 2019, 8:37 pm

tamada wrote:
November 29, 2019, 9:27 am
I am qualified for retirement but keep busy with consultant work while I still have some oil in my tank. Up until maybe 3 years ago, I had the pick of maybe 3 or 4 gigs a year that helped my avoid 90-day reports but more importantly, got me out of this arguably blighted Realm for a reality check. Last year, I did about 6 months work straight with a few very short breaks at home before taking a longish break back here. As happened on a prior long layover, the wheels begin to spin, small things begin to assume disproportionate importance and the place basically starts to do my head in. Before the oldest was in school, we would simply take spontaneous family vacations to break the monotony. Nowadays, that is hard to do with the ill-timed Thai school holiday schedule... see what I mean about relatively small things suddenly being big annoyances?! Anyway, during the current extended homestay, I did manage a couple of months of extensive home renovations and "honey do's" but as soon as there was an industry convention or meeting in Bangkok, Saigon or KL, or mates visiting Bangkok and Pattaya on holiday, I was gone!

Good luck to pipoz on staying in harness a bit longer. With an inevitable global recession, topping up the bank account is a bonus IMHO. Just keep in mind that there's increased scrutiny of those fronting up at Bangkok's airports on back-to-back tourist visas. Several oil patch guys, married and living here who have been doing 28/28 work tours in a third country and using either visa exmpt and SETV/METV entries have been bailed up to get the "correct" visa for their circumstances. I recall there may be an unwritten cap on how many SETV/METV entries once can do or maybe it's a restriction on how many one can get in regional embassies and consulates? The border out/in at Nong Khai still seems to be drama free but some other land borders have been on the avoid list for a few years already.
Thanks tamada, I suppose at some stage next year when my Non Imm O-A Multi Entry comes up for renewal/extension.

The Stamp they put in it, when I activated the Non Imm O-A Multi Entry, says 27 March 2020. Presumably I am due to show up somewhere in February 2020, to ask for this to be extended or take a trip out of Thailand in mid February to get my extra year.

As it is, my next visit back to Survarnahbumi will be at the end of the first week of February 2020 and I will only be staying for 4 days. I will pop into Udon Thani Immigration then and ask the question

Somehow, I suspect it will will get cancelled and I will then revert to just entering Thailand on a 30 Day Tourist Visa, thereafter, every 2 months.

Regarding the global recession or slow down or whatever, it is coming. History has shown it comes around every 9 or so years, in some Form or Shape, and we are past that due date. So yes, maybe another 2 - 4 years and it will hit, but which Countries it will affect and how it affects them, is uncertain.

The possibility of the Thai Baht never going back to TB 32 to the USD was another factor in my decision to go back to work. :-k :-k

If we are going to be stuck in the TB 30 or god help me the TB 29 bracket, then working longer become my contingency plan.

Regards
pipoz4444
Last edited by pipoz4444 on December 12, 2019, 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 29, 2019, 11:36 pm

Look at the bottom
This is NOT the official website of the Thai Embassy.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » November 29, 2019, 11:47 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
November 29, 2019, 8:37 pm

As it is, my next visit back to Survarnahbumi will be at the end of the first week of February 2020 and I will only be staying for 4 days. I will pop into Udon Thani Immigration then and ask the question

Somehow, I suspect it will will get cancelled and I will then revert to just entering Thailand on a 30 Day Tourist Visa, thereafter, every 2 months.
You will get a permission to stay that will be dated for 1 year, so February 2021, a multi reentry permit will let you keep that alive.

I suggest that this could be useful as immigration officers at Survarnahbumi and Don Muang are known to be refusing entry on visa exemption more often than in the past.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 10, 2020, 11:43 am

Hi STWW

I never did get the extension of the permission to stay to February 2021

My Non Imm O-A Visa has a stamped expiry/end date of 29 March 2020

I last flew out of Bangkok on 11 February 2020 and didn't get time to go back and extend my Non Imm O-A Visa. It all turned to custard after that with the travel restrictions at the start of March 2020.

So that leaves me with an Expired/Out of Date, Non Imm O-A Visa, stuck off shore in another Country, unable to fly out of this Country at this time (because of their restrictions) and also unable to enter Thailand at this time (Because of Thailand's restrictions).

I have no idea what will happen when I next fly into Bangkok. Maybe they will simply just cancel my Non Imm O-A Visa and stick me back on to a Tourist Visa. Assuming one can ever enter Thailand again

I suppose I will have to start the process again, although next time around I think I will simply apply for an O Visa.

pipoz4444

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 10, 2020, 11:59 am

pipoz4444 wrote:
May 10, 2020, 11:43 am
Hi STWW

I never did get the extension of the permission to stay to February 2021

My Non Imm O-A Visa has a stamped expiry/end date of 29 March 2020

I last flew out of Bangkok on 11 February 2020 and didn't get time to go back and extend my Non Imm O-A Visa. It all turned to custard after that with the travel restrictions at the start of March 2020.

So that leaves me with an Expired/Out of Date, Non Imm O-A Visa, stuck off shore in another Country, unable to fly out of this Country at this time (because of their restrictions) and also unable to enter Thailand at this time (Because of Thailand's restrictions).

I have no idea what will happen when I next fly into Bangkok. Maybe they will simply just cancel my Non Imm O-A Visa and stick me back on to a Tourist Visa. Assuming one can ever enter Thailand again

I suppose I will have to start the process again, although next time around I think I will simply apply for an O Visa.

pipoz4444
I assume that you did not have a reentry permit when you flew out, if that is the case then you now have nothing as your visa expired 29 March 2020. There is nothing to cancel.

Once the flying restrictions are lifted you may find that visa exempt entry is not permitted and your only short term option is to get a tourist or Non-O/Non-OA visa. Don’t be surprised if there are health and insurance requirements added to all foreign entries to Thailand and all visas.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 10, 2020, 12:20 pm

Thanks

Didn't know about a "Re entry Permit"? I just flew out as normal with then intention of flying back in.

Yes I expect that I will need to go onto a Non O Visa, which I presume I can do as a non married person

In all honesty, I wont be surprised at anything that the Thai Immigration come up with and am preparing for the eventual medical insurance requirements to enter Thailand.

The only question will be whether the Thais let you purchase your Medical Insurance from an overseas reputable Company or whether the Thais force you to get it from a Thai Insurance Company (one who wont give you insurance in the first place)

pipoz4444

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 10, 2020, 12:43 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
May 10, 2020, 12:20 pm
Thanks

Didn't know about a "Re entry Permit"? I just flew out as normal with then intention of flying back in.

Yes I expect that I will need to go onto a Non O Visa, which I presume I can do as a non married person

In all honesty, I wont be surprised at anything that the Thai Immigration come up with and am preparing for the eventual medical insurance requirements to enter Thailand.

The only question will be whether the Thais let you purchase your Medical Insurance from an overseas reputable Company or whether the Thais force you to get it from a Thai Insurance Company (one who wont give you insurance in the first place)

pipoz4444
You would not have wanted a reentry permit with your planned return. Just luck that stoped it working.

Each embassy has their own rules for who can get a visa of any kind (as an example as a visitor to Japan the Thai embassy will not issue any visa [usually]) so you will need to check your with your local embassy.

If you can get a visa and it requires insurance to purchase it will be a local insurance not Thai, unless they are fans of Joseph Heller & Catch 22 :lol:

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 30, 2020, 12:12 pm

Just an update on an Application to Extend a Non Imm O-A Visa for Retirement

A expat friend, obtained his Non Imm O-A Visa (from a Thai Embassy overseas) back in early May 2019 and then moved to Thailand in June 2019. He is late 60’s, single (not married today) and his reason to the Thai Embassy was for Retirement. So, he is now due to apply for his first 12 month extension, to that Non Imm O-A Visa, in early June 2020.

Off he goes last week, to ask the Thai Imm what they want with his application. The Thai Immigration Officer who spoke English, advised,

1. He must apply sometime within last 30 day period of his current Visa Expiry Date, as stamped in the Passport.
2. He has to provide a letter from the Bank, confirming that he has had B 800,000 for a minimum of the last 3 months leading up to the Visa Expiry Date (i.e. for the month of March, April & May 2020
3. He needs to provide evidence that he has Medical Insurance in Thailand (TIO didn’t say for how much Cover) for the proposed retirement extension period, that being for the next 12 months from June 2020 through to June 2021.
4. He has to provide Proof of Resident (Waiting to see exactly what he will or has to provide)
5. Plus bring Passport (and copy) and Photos

If all document are in order, they advise it will be extended for another year, but understand that it is still at the discretion of the Thai Immigration Officer as to whether he or she meets the Thai immigration requirements

So, will know his outcome, towards end June.

I am not sure how many copies of each document he will need to take, but personally I would take three copies of the Application and attached document, just to be sure

For added info the Link below to Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Kingdom of Thailand

http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4 ... Stay).html

pipoz4444

cjd01
udonmap.com

Post by cjd01 » May 30, 2020, 12:32 pm

Just finished looking at the insurance for O/A visa
min req
400k Baht In patient
40k Baht out patient
as I have other insurance not acceptable to IO I considered it to be basically through away money to satisfy the requirements
The bottom line 61 to 70 years old 7,700 Baht with your waiver of the first 200k Baht
My feeling is your chances of getting any sort of payout if ill wouldn't be good so to me just another expense for the privilege of staying here.
Good Luck

cjd01
udonmap.com

Post by cjd01 » May 30, 2020, 12:34 pm

spell check
throw away money

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » May 30, 2020, 12:49 pm

cjd01 wrote:
May 30, 2020, 12:32 pm
Just finished looking at the insurance for O/A visa
min req
400k Baht In patient
40k Baht out patient
as I have other insurance not acceptable to IO I considered it to be basically through away money to satisfy the requirements
The bottom line 61 to 70 years old 7,700 Baht with your waiver of the first 200k Baht
My feeling is your chances of getting any sort of payout if ill wouldn't be good so to me just another expense for the privilege of staying here.
Good Luck
Is that 7,700 per month or per year? If monthly that's a pretty hefty price to pay for the privilege to stay here. If you're married then change from Retirement to Marriage to a Thai National if you're on a Non-Immigrant O-A and there will be no insurance requirement.
Attachments
Visa Plans 2019_Update (1).pdf
(41.36 KiB) Downloaded 136 times
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

cjd01
udonmap.com

Post by cjd01 » May 30, 2020, 12:55 pm

Hi Semper
it was per year, might add jumped again at 71-80

cjd01
udonmap.com

Post by cjd01 » May 30, 2020, 1:03 pm

correction
71-75 11,400 Baht
please note each claim you would be responsible for the first 200,000 Baht
That's why I'm saying throw away money, just to have the visa.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 30, 2020, 1:11 pm

Hi semperfiguy, good attachment to your last post

Hi cjd01: Can I clarify, is your Premium of B 11,400 per Year for a 71-75 years old, as this is very, very cheap. =D> Yes I understand it has a large wavier of the first B 200,000 (presumably per claim), but still it is a very cheap Yearly Premium . Can I ask how much Max Yearly Coverage do you get with this Policy, is it only B 400,000 per year?

Re. Medical Insurance for Non Imm O-A Visa, Extension for Retirement

From one of my other posts.

The Insurance Companies seem to work in 5 years age blocks, 61-65, then 66-70, then 71-75 for calculations of Premiums purpose.

If you want to go above the current suggested TB 400,000 Max Cover Per Year figure (just in case the T G decides to increase it, over time), and you are,

66 Years old you can get Med Ins to cover you in Thailand with a Max Annual Limit (Inpatient Benefits with Emergency Medical Evacuation) of B 780,000 max cover per year for an Annual Premium of TB 52,000 . For B 1,200,000 max cover per year for an Annual Premium of TB 67,000. The Annual Premium increases by about 8% ever year after that (assuming you don't make any major claim). No Deductible Discount factored in. [-(

71 Years old you can get M I with a Max Annual Limit (Inpatient Benefits with Emergency Medical Evacuation) of B 780,000 max cover per year for an Annual Premium of TB 77,500. For B 1,200,000 max cover per year for an Annual Premium of TB 99,500. The Annual Premium increases by about 8% ever year after that (assuming you don't make any major claim). No Deductible Discount factored in. [-(

76 Years old you can get M I with a Max Annual Limit (Inpatient Benefits with Emergency Medical Evacuation) of B 780,000 max cover per year for an Annual Premium of TB 104,000. For B 1,200,000 max cover per year for an Annual Premium of TB 133,500. The Annual Premium increases by about 8% ever year after that (assuming you don't make any major claim). No Deductible Discount factored in. [-(

By my calculation to get say Medical Insurance Coverage in Thailand with a Max Annual Limit (Inpatient Benefits with Emergency Medical Evacuation) of B 780,000 per year (with No Deductible Discount factored in), from the age of 66 years old through to 80 Years old - then it is going to cost you upwards of TB 1,400,000 or USD 44,000, (over that 15 year period) based on today's Annual Insurance Premium Forecasts and selecting from one of those Insurance Companies on the Thai Long Stay Insurance list. :-k :-k

pipoz4444

cjd01
udonmap.com

Post by cjd01 » May 30, 2020, 1:46 pm

Hi cjd01: Can I clarify, is your Premium of B 11,400 per Year for a 71-75 years old, as this is very, very cheap. =D> Yes I understand it has a large wavier of the first B 200,000 (presumably per claim), but still it is a very cheap Yearly Premium . Can I ask how much Max Yearly Coverage do you get with this Policy, is it only B 400,000 per year?
Yes that is correct.
I'm only going on the quote I got, I do intend to buy this, I still have till mid July till my O/A will expire unless I leave the country, waiting to see If I'll be able to get back.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 30, 2020, 2:00 pm

cjd01 wrote:
May 30, 2020, 1:46 pm
Yes that is correct.
I'm only going on the quote I got, I do intend to buy this, I still have till mid July till my O/A will expire unless I leave the country, waiting to see If I'll be able to get back.
OK thanks, please keep me posted if you get the quote

pipoz4444

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » May 30, 2020, 3:43 pm

pipoz4444 wrote:
May 30, 2020, 12:12 pm

I am not sure how many copies of each document he will need to take, but personally I would take three copies of the Application and attached document, just to be sure
1 set is enough as it’s a retirement extension.

Proof of residence depends on where he is staying. If he is renting then it is, copy of rental contract + original, Copy of landlords ID card and blue book, both copies to be signed by the landlord. Some offices ask the landlord to go along as well.

Going in 30 ~ 20 days before the current permission to stay finishes gives plenty of time to gat any document he may have missed and makes no difference as the year is added on to the current permission to stay.

pipoz4444
udonmap.com

Post by pipoz4444 » May 30, 2020, 7:01 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
May 30, 2020, 3:43 pm
pipoz4444 wrote:
May 30, 2020, 12:12 pm

1 set is enough as it’s a retirement extension.

Proof of residence depends on where he is staying. If he is renting then it is, copy of rental contract + original, Copy of landlords ID card and blue book, both copies to be signed by the landlord. Some offices ask the landlord to go along as well.

Going in 30 ~ 20 days before the current permission to stay finishes gives plenty of time to gat any document he may have missed and makes no difference as the year is added on to the current permission to stay.
Thanks STWW

This guy is not lodging in Udon Thani. He is down South of Bangkok in the Boondocks (by the way, a great movie the Boondock Saints, totally unrelated) \:D/

One thing my friend did tell me was that his Medical Insurance Policy (Worldwide) is not from one of the 13 No Insurance Companies, that are listed in the Link, as "participating in the Scheme under the Thai Government Long Stay Visa programme". So I don't know how relevant it will be or how important that might be for his Application. :confused: :-k

I haven't seen anyone reporting on this Forum, those who have recently lodged their Application for their first "Extension of their Long Stay Visa for Thailand, under the Non Imm O-A process, for Retirement (only) as a Single male (not Married), specifically speaking about who the Insurance Policy must actually be held with

Or if you can outside of the list of the participating 13 No Insurance Companies and choose you own different Insurer.

LINK: https://longstay.tgia.org/home/companiesoa

pipoz4444

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”