Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
Nigglyb
udonmap.com

Re: Non Immigrant O or OA Visa

Post by Nigglyb » May 21, 2018, 9:46 pm

Yup, my bad, skim reading my tablet
According to the Embassy, based on the info the OP has divulged earlier in the thread, he can qualify for a tourist multiple-entry or a non-immigrant O-A long stay visa

May the bridges I burn light the path in front of me

Giggle
udonmap.com

Post by Giggle » May 21, 2018, 10:01 pm

Appears to be a demographic issue. What a horrible way to end up in your waning years. Rule Brittania.
Ashli Babbitt -- SAY HER NAME!

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 12, 2018, 7:47 pm

Bob Helm wrote:"He is not receiving a Government Pension."
On a general related point, it occurs to me that if "Government Pension" in effect means that the pension income can only be the state old age pension. Then in the UK, the amount of that pension (at the newer higher rates) is only about £164pw (£657 per 4 week month, or £8546 pa). That wouldn't then meet the Thai Immigration pension requirement of 65000 baht per month (or 800,000 baht per year), and unless something has changed, would surely leave a UK state pensioner with only the option of having to deposit 800K in his Thai bank account? :?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 12, 2018, 8:17 pm

No RJ.
You are confusing the difference between getting an multiple entry, year long non 'o' immigrant visa from the Thai Embassy in the UK & applying for a yearly extension of stay in Thailand,
These are 2 completely different things & totally different rules apply to both.

What I have already (too many times :( ) said about the visa rules when applying from the Thai Embassy in London are absolutely correct - as at 12th. June 2018.
They may change tomorrow, but they are as I said today.

The OP has asked a specific question. I have answered that from 18 years of experience of being in his situation!!
If someone has experienced something different from the London Embassy since 12th. June 2017 then I would be extremely interested to know how & what is different.

I am returning to the UK on 7th. July & expect my Thai Embassy postal experience to be exactly as I have already posted.. & return on 29th. July with a multiple entry non 'o' visa issued from the London Thai Embassy based on 'retirement'..

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 12, 2018, 9:07 pm

arjay wrote:
June 12, 2018, 7:47 pm
Bob Helm wrote:"He is not receiving a Government Pension."
On a general related point, it occurs to me that if "Government Pension" in effect means that the pension income can only be the state old age pension. Then in the UK, the amount of that pension (at the newer higher rates) is only about £164pw (£657 per 4 week month, or £8546 pa). That wouldn't then meet the Thai Immigration pension requirement of 65000 baht per month (or 800,000 baht per year), and unless something has changed, would surely leave a UK state pensioner with only the option of having to deposit 800K in his Thai bank account? :?
Not if he wants a visa (no money on deposit in Thailand required, no minimum income needed, just the state pension), nor yet if he wants an extension, as the amount he would need to deposit for the extension is around 500,000 Baht because for the extension granted for the purpose of retirement you can combine income and bank deposit.
Jerome and Nui's new househttp://bit.ly/NJnewHouse
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

papafarang
udonmap.com

Post by papafarang » June 12, 2018, 9:35 pm

BobHelm wrote:
June 12, 2018, 8:17 pm
No RJ.
You are confusing the difference between getting an multiple entry, year long non 'o' immigrant visa from the Thai Embassy in the UK & applying for a yearly extension of stay in Thailand,
These are 2 completely different things & totally different rules apply to both.

What I have already (too many times :( ) said about the visa rules when applying from the Thai Embassy in London are absolutely correct - as at 12th. June 2018.
They may change tomorrow, but they are as I said today.

The OP has asked a specific question. I have answered that from 18 years of experience of being in his situation!!
If someone has experienced something different from the London Embassy since 12th. June 2017 then I would be extremely interested to know how & what is different.

I am returning to the UK on 7th. July & expect my Thai Embassy postal experience to be exactly as I have already posted.. & return on 29th. July with a multiple entry non 'o' visa issued from the London Thai Embassy based on 'retirement'..
yes it is simple Bob, the stipulation of 800,000 baht is for people between the ages of 50-65 (although now 67 to get a old age pension in the uk). if your uk pension was 1p from the uk gov then you can still get a 12 month non "o" based on the fact that your actually retired from the workforce. don't get the 50-65 rule mixed up with retirement rule with the old age pension
Hansa village clubhouse . Tel 0981657001 https://www.google.co.th/maps/place/Han ... 5851?hl=en

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 12, 2018, 10:47 pm

On a general related point,
I wasn't referring to the OP's original question or situation. Indeed I did say "on a general related point". I was in fact pondering if at some stage in the future, as a fully-fledged OAP (I.e. over 65), I might (again) want a retirement or long stay visa to stay in LOS.

So as I now understand it, from the preceding posts, as a fully-fledged pensioner of over 65 yrs, I should be able to obtain, from the Thai Embassy in London, a Non-Imm "O" visa for up to 1 year, upon production of evidence of my UK state pension, (no matter how much that pension might be)? That sounds even better then (for me).

Noted that IF I wanted to extend that visa at the end of 1 year, a different set requirements would apply, though as it would be most unlikely that I would want to do that (as in extend), I won't worry myself about that.

Thank you all for that clarity.

Hope you have a good flight on the 7th Bob. EVA? (My favourite).

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 13, 2018, 6:41 am

arjay wrote:
June 12, 2018, 10:47 pm
So as I now understand it, from the preceding posts, as a fully-fledged pensioner of over 65 yrs, I should be able to obtain, from the Thai Embassy in London, a Non-Imm "O" visa for up to 1 year, upon production of evidence of my UK state pension, (no matter how much that pension might be)? That sounds even better then (for me).

Noted that IF I wanted to extend that visa at the end of 1 year, a different set requirements would apply, though as it would be most unlikely that I would want to do that (as in extend), I won't worry myself about that.
Spot on RJ.
Although you do have the inconvenience of having to physically leave Thailand every 90 days.
Also you can actually stay all but 15 months on this visa by exiting just before the visa expires & getting an additional 90 days.

arjay wrote:
June 12, 2018, 10:47 pm
Hope you have a good flight on the 7th Bob. EVA? (My favourite).
Not this time as I want to get to Heathrow early morning, rather than early evening.
First attempt flying Qatar.. we will see... :D

stereolab
udonmap.com

Post by stereolab » June 13, 2018, 9:00 am

BobHelm wrote:
May 21, 2018, 7:12 am
You are, however missing previous notes about applying for a non imm 'o' based on retirement from the Thai London Embassy web site though Nigglyb.

pension 1.png
http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/se ... Visas.html

pension 2.png
http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/se ... visas.html

I have got one of these visas for the last 13 years. Originally no hassle from Hull for just over 8 years. Hull were then stopped from issuing anything but Tourist visas. I then had no choice but to go to the Embassy. Originally you had to prove pension income (from anywhere) of over £12,500 per annum, which I did. However they then (after a couple of monetary changes) went to the current rule about Government Pension. When they introduced this first they were absolutely insistent on it. The may have backed away from that now, but I have never heard anyone say that they have received 1 other than by showing a Government pension.
That is certainly what I have done without difficulty for the last 2 years & will do so again in July this year..

So, yes, RJ the age has effectively been moved to 65.
There are some Government employees who can get a Government pension at 60 - firemen, armed services etc...

I have been drawing my Military Pension since age 43, over 22 years now, and had I left at my 22 years of service point, I could have drawn it in 1994. It is however, not classed as a"State" pension. Officers are able to draw at age 37, after having completed 16 years service from age 21. New rules exist these days off course.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 27, 2018, 6:37 pm

An update on this. I applied for and, today received an OA visa in the Post.

Documents provided and cost were:-

Current Passport
2 x Application forms with 2 photos attached to each. The website is a little ambiguous as to whether just 2 photos or 4
Supplementary OA application form
Bank Statement (see below) and one copy
Medical Certificate signed by GP and copy
Police Check and copy (link provided on RTE website)

The visa fee for multiple entry was £125 plus £10 for return postage. The fee needs to be paid by postal order which cost a further £12.50 and the cost of registered post was about £7.50. In addition the police check cost £45 although the medical cert from my GP was free. Add all those up and total cost was £200.

Only problem was with my bank statement. I went into my bank and asked them to print off a statement. I sent it off with my application but they rang, within a day of receipt, and said they couldn't accept it as it wasn't an original. It was but, as it was a black and white print copy, they wrongly assumed it wasn't. I went into my bank again and had them print off another with their stamp on and sent that off again registered post (another £6.50). On receipt of that they processed my visa within 24 hours.

All in all prompt service although, I did try to ring a couple of times to query something and both times was unable to get through after being on hold for 30 minutes.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 27, 2018, 7:07 pm

Glad it worked out for you samster.
Is it a multiple entry OA ?
If so then that is you sorted for the next 2 years & makes the £200 much more reasonable...

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 27, 2018, 7:09 pm

BobHelm wrote:
June 27, 2018, 7:07 pm
Glad it worked out for you samster.
Is it a multiple entry OA ?
If so then that is you sorted for the next 2 years & makes the £200 much more reasonable...
All Non-OA visas are multiple entry.
In my posts all fees and requirements are the standard R&R but TIT and a brown envelope can make incredible changes YMMV.

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 27, 2018, 8:16 pm

Yes, it was multiple entry.

I noticed, on an earlier comment that someone said you get a 1 year stamp when you enter Thailand. Is this correct as it must be specific to the OA? I only got the usual 3 months on my old O visa.

In my 10 years out here, I only stayed over 3 months once and did a border run to Laos. Do you need to report to immigration if staying longer than 3 months?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » June 27, 2018, 8:59 pm

My understanding of a multiple entry OA visa is that you get 1 year on entry but you need to do the 90 day report at your local Immigration Office (or online) while you are in Thailand - no need to physically exit the country.
However just before the visa expiry date if you do physically exit & return then you will get another 12 month stamp in your passport & continue with 90 day reporting as above..

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 27, 2018, 9:19 pm

BobHelm wrote:
June 27, 2018, 8:59 pm
My understanding of a multiple entry OA visa is that you get 1 year on entry but you need to do the 90 day report at your local Immigration Office (or online) while you are in Thailand - no need to physically exit the country.
However just before the visa expiry date if you do physically exit & return then you will get another 12 month stamp in your passport & continue with 90 day reporting as above..
The 90 day report is independent of any visa or permission to stay.

Everyone non Thai who is in Thailand for more than 90 days must report.

With an OA visa every time that you leave and renter the country you get a 1 year permission to stay until the expiration date of the visa. As bob said to get the maximum time you should make exit and renter just before the visa expires. The only difference is that once the visa has expired if you want to leave during the last year after the visa has expired you will need to get a reentry permit before leaving, you will be able to get it at the airport on the way out at some (but not all) international airports. It isn't available at KK airport.

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 27, 2018, 9:24 pm

samster wrote:
June 27, 2018, 8:16 pm
Yes, it was multiple entry.

I noticed, on an earlier comment that someone said you get a 1 year stamp when you enter Thailand. Is this correct as it must be specific to the OA? I only got the usual 3 months on my old O visa.

In my 10 years out here, I only stayed over 3 months once and did a border run to Laos. Do you need to report to immigration if staying longer than 3 months?
A Non-O gives 90 days
A Non-OA gives 365 days

The 90 day report is independent of any visa or permission to stay.

Everyone non Thai who is in Thailand for more than 90 days must report.

Usual penalty for missing a report is 2,000 Baht

samster
udonmap.com

Post by samster » June 27, 2018, 11:58 pm

Thanks guys. Very helpful.

kopkei
udonmap.com

Post by kopkei » June 28, 2018, 7:07 am

before when they still issued 1 year non O abroad or elsewhere ,you would have to leave the country every 90 days...
with a non OA ,90 day report is done in Thailand at immigration office ....
http://www.mfa.go.th/main/en/services/4 ... Stay).html ;)

sometimewoodworker
udonmap.com

Post by sometimewoodworker » June 28, 2018, 1:08 pm

kopkei wrote:
June 28, 2018, 7:07 am
before when they still issued 1 year non O abroad or elsewhere ,you would have to leave the country every 90 days...
Non-O multiple entry visas are still available, they are only issued abroad. They are valid for 1 year.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » June 28, 2018, 2:34 pm

sometimewoodworker wrote:
June 28, 2018, 1:08 pm
kopkei wrote:
June 28, 2018, 7:07 am
Non-O multiple entry visas are still available, they are only issued abroad. They are valid for 1 year.
But as you DON'T Stay in Thailand for the 90 Days ( eg: You leave on the 89th or the 90th ) I Believe you DON'T Have to report at you're local Immigration Office.....Correct ?? Yes or No....

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”