Marriage Visa

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
neeemu
udonmap.com

Marriage Visa

Post by neeemu » May 6, 2007, 2:31 am

Just reading another website I noticed it said to renew yearly marriage visa each time ANOTHER 400,000 baht had to be deposited into a Thai account.
I'm assuming other people on here have renewed this type of visa here but is this check carried out? I've no problem depoisiting 400,000 baht but every year seems expensive! First time I read about it I understood it as 400,000 in a Thai account minimum.

Is it easier setting up a company to get a visa?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » May 6, 2007, 3:05 am

if from usa, it's 400,000 savings and/or income per year. not to be deposited every year, just have to show that much in or available in a year for living expense. americans just give a statement of earnings from the usa embassy, honor system that is notorized as being truthful.

neeemu
udonmap.com

Post by neeemu » May 6, 2007, 4:53 pm

Cheers, I've probably just understood it wrong.

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » May 7, 2007, 1:15 am

Firstly - You do not renew a marriage visa (Support of a Thai national) - you extend the original one.
The requirement is that you have either a minimum bank balance of 400,000 baht in a THAI bank or an income of at least 40,000 baht per month (between the both of you).
If this is your first extension AFTER 1st October 2006, then the bank deposit option is not available to you and you must show a joint income of 40,000 baht.

If you are still eligible for the bank deposit option, then when it comes to the next year, you cannot show the same 400,000 baht you had in there last year - in other words they expect you to use it gradually throughout the year for living expenses (which is reasonable) and then at renewal time you must bring in a 'fresh' 400,000 baht (or at least make the remaining balance up to 400,000 baht again) and they will often want to see your bank book to prove there has been movement of 'last years' money.

New rules now state that the 400,000 you bring in to Thailand for your extension application MUST have been in the Thai bank at least 3 months before you apply, and also once your application is lodged you cannot take the bank balance below the 400,000 mark until you have had approval and got the years extension stamp in your passport.

This is probrably what you are reading when you read that you need 'another' 400,000 in the bank next time.

Hope this clarifies it for you

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » May 7, 2007, 11:48 am

So as I don't get things screwed up in August/September when I apply for my first extension, am I right in saying I need to show 40,000 bht having being deposited into my Thai bank for the previous 3 months?

Then can I stop the 40,000 a month or come next time I apply for the visa extension (in 12 months) are they'll possibly check my bank book for the 40,000 deposit every month for the previous year.

Does it matter where the 40,000 comes from? meaning could I merely transfer 40,000 a month starting this month or next from my UK bank account, i.e. I'm paying myself.

I take it that the 40,000 is expected to be used each month as per the 400,000 mentioned above.

And lastly, if we can show my wifes income as an amount where she pays zero income tax, am I right in thinking this will be taken into account and I only need to make a deposit into my Thai bank account to make the total 40k?

Gaurantee I screw things up somewhere........

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » May 7, 2007, 11:54 am

I just had another thought, I'm going back home to renew my Non Imm "O" at the end of May. I spoke with the consulate and they have already told me I will be granted a 12 month multiple entry Non Imm "O".

So should I wait until this visa is close to expiry before applying for the extension, or would it be better to apply for a 3 month Non Imm "O" and apply for the extension when I get back?

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » May 7, 2007, 7:09 pm

Kudjap or Bust wrote:So as I don't get things screwed up in August/September when I apply for my first extension, am I right in saying I need to show 40,000 bht having being deposited into my Thai bank for the previous 3 months?

Then can I stop the 40,000 a month or come next time I apply for the visa extension (in 12 months) are they'll possibly check my bank book for the 40,000 deposit every month for the previous year.

Does it matter where the 40,000 comes from? meaning could I merely transfer 40,000 a month starting this month or next from my UK bank account, i.e. I'm paying myself.

I take it that the 40,000 is expected to be used each month as per the 400,000 mentioned above.

And lastly, if we can show my wifes income as an amount where she pays zero income tax, am I right in thinking this will be taken into account and I only need to make a deposit into my Thai bank account to make the total 40k?

Gaurantee I screw things up somewhere........
Your post is somewhat confusing - but I will do my best to reply.

If you are applying for your first extension AFTER October 2006 (which you are) then you must show a regular joint income of at least 40,000 baht per month (dont mix this up with the 3 month rule for the 400k deposit option) You will have to prove in some way that you have got a joint income of 40,000 baht per month (its not a one off thing and they will check)
It has to be an income such as a pension or salary and (I believe) it is not acceptable to transfer 40k per month from your overseas account, as this is not income but a money transfer. There are ways around it (I am told by having one of the partners (husband or wife) as an employee but it gets a bit complex and maybe someone else can advise on this method.
Yes the 40,000 is expected to be used - obviously, otherwise what are you living on ???? You don't have to use all of it, just as you don't have to use all the 400,000 if you are on that option too. But 'reasonable' withdrawals would be expected to be seen.

Not sure I understand fully your last paragraph but I think you are asking if you have a joint income is this allowed. say 60% from your wife and 40% from you (pension??) - and I believe this is allowable.

As you have stated in your next post that you are returning to your home country for a new non-imm visa - then it makes all the above information invalid then doesn't it ? (at least for a year until you decide to extend)
If you qualify (ie are married) then you only need to get a single entry (90 day) visa and after the first 60 days is up, you are allowed to apply for an extension. You could get the multi entry and then wait for a year until you apply for your extension (and dont have to show your finances to anyone for a further year) however you will be required to leave Thailand every 90 days (Laos visa run) and re-validate your next 90 day segment - until the visa expires in about a year.
Once you apply for (and successfully get) an extension to your non-imm visa then you DO NOT have to leave the country every 90 days - just report your address to the local immigration office every 90 days instead.
Its your choice.

Kudjap or Bust
udonmap.com

Post by Kudjap or Bust » May 7, 2007, 7:52 pm

Paul,
In essence, I have had a few non-imm o visas and have travelled back to my home for renewals each 15 months.

I'm looking at going for the extension this time around and had 400k transfered last year but then found out it was not an option anymore. Just my luck.....

So I need to find a way round the 40k a month, my only option. I work freelance so my income isn't gauranteed every month, no work no pay, and I don't qualify for a retirement visa yet. So I was looking at a way to use the wifes income and top up with my cash in my UK bank account whe I wasn't paid ...But I guess from your reply that's not going to work.

My last post was me thinking out loud I suppose, is it better for me to try an extension i.e. only get a 3 month non-imm o when I go home or get the full year and wait til next time........ I think it's best I carry on with the Laos visa runs as the income thing might bite me in the ass

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » May 7, 2007, 8:14 pm

I will add one thing to what Paul said.

What I was told by immigration a couple months ago, was that if I went with the marriage (support of a thai), I would need to transfer 40k from an out of country source into a thai bank account each month.

He said I could not use an ATM card and then deposit the money. I said, "but it will cost me $45 dollars (1500 baht) each month to have the money wired". He said "sorry, but thats the rules". #-o

So I will assume they will ck the bank code in your passbook. It does say income, but thats almost impossible to determine how it got to the out of country account, I would think. 8)

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » May 7, 2007, 11:54 pm

Kudjap:

To me it seems its a case of finances. It will surely be much cheaper to stay in Thailand and get the extensions rather that constantly going home and buying a new visa every year ???
I am sure that if your wife has a moderate income (ie higher than the normal 5/6000 baht per month average) then something can be worked out.

Why not chat to the immigration people here - they can be the best ones to give actual advice (they don't just spend all day stamping passports) and if you get them at the more quieter periods they can be a mine of helpful information)

Unfortunately thuogh the Udon office has fewer and fewer quiet periods and I think they really need to reveiew their opening hours.

Not quite sure why Dakoda was told this 40,000 per month needs to come from abroad - as it can be from a salary from working in Thailand, so not sure what is going on there.

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » May 8, 2007, 6:38 am

Paul wrote: Not quite sure why Dakoda was told this 40,000 per month needs to come from abroad - as it can be from a salary from working in Thailand, so not sure what is going on there.
because we were taking about my situation. I do not work here, have no work permit, so no income here. So, in my case it must come from outside the country. But why I can't transfer it using free ATM is a strange rule to me, why should it matter, except if I was working here without the paperwork. :(

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » May 8, 2007, 11:43 am

Wow! I have a retirement visa and on one visit to Imm I mentioned converting to Marriage, was told "you don't want to do that". Seems they offer good advice on occasions;o)

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 8, 2007, 12:59 pm

:lol: Haa,I was told the same thing about 6 years ago,except his reason was ''they don't like that'',''you already have a retirement visa,they might not give you another visa'' :lol:

Dakoda
udonmap.com

Post by Dakoda » May 8, 2007, 1:30 pm

kinda got that hint also :!: Do a retirement :!: :?

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » May 8, 2007, 1:31 pm

Someone already mentioned, what happens if you have a marriage visa and your wife predeceases you or the relationship goes south? The fact that the retirement visa requires twice the monetary commitment seems like a subtle endorsement of the P4P scene. Same, same, the teacher pay de-lima, people will settle for substandard wages, possibly because they feel the fringe benefits are worth it;o)

Sirkusartist

Post by Sirkusartist » June 10, 2007, 2:15 am

Does anyone know if it is possible to get a one year multiple entry non-imm O visa on base of marriage the first time you apply for a non-imm visa, or do I have to get a 90 day visa first? :?:

Stevo
udonmap.com

Post by Stevo » June 10, 2007, 3:38 am

Sirkusartist wrote:Does anyone know if it is possible to get a one year multiple entry non-imm O visa on base of marriage the first time you apply for a non-imm visa, or do I have to get a 90 day visa first? :?:
Yes, you can get a one year, multi-entry non-imm 'O' the first time... just send a copy of your marriage cert. to consul with your application (I don't know where you are from, but this is for UK).

Sirkusartist

Post by Sirkusartist » July 9, 2007, 1:13 pm

Couldn't get it...

They said in the embassy that the first one year visa can only be given by Immigration in Thailand, thougt i had heard that before... So then I think it is after 2 months on this 90 day visa I can apply for a one year multiple entry non-imm O.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » July 9, 2007, 2:27 pm

You're confusing the mutli non-imm O visa with the 1 year extension. No such thing as a 1 year visa. Visas are obtained outside of Thailand; a 1 year extension is what you get once in Thailand. Yes you can extend you non-imm O.

Also, don't spend money on a multi non-imm O if you're planning to extend your visa :D

Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Paul » July 9, 2007, 9:23 pm

Sirkusartist wrote: So then I think it is after 2 months on this 90 day visa I can apply for a one year multiple entry non-imm O.
Yes minimum of 60 days in Thailand and can then apply for a 1 year extension (with just 90 day reporting of current address at any immigration office)

Outside of Thailand you should be able to get a non-imm visa valid for 1 year IN 90 DAY SEGMENTS ie- you have to leave and re-enter Thailand every 90 days to re-validate the next 90 day segment (as many times as you can with in a 1 year period) - or 15 months if you time it perfectly.

Watch the validity date of your visa though (starting from- and expiring on)

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”