life certificates uk

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
toots

life certificates uk

Post by toots » December 1, 2014, 10:58 am

Hi. Has anybody out there got the lowdown on life certificates issued by the dwp uk. I think I may have fallen into this trouble I move a lot in thailand. Can you download this form etc. Thanks from a poor pensioner!

BobHelm
udonmap.com

life certificates uk

Post by BobHelm » December 1, 2014, 11:29 am

I think that you will need to contact the
International Pension Centre
[email protected]
Telephone: +44 (0)191 218 7777
Textphone: +44 (0)191 218 7280
Monday to Friday, 8am to 6pm
in order to get one.
The Government Site
https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you ... w-to-claim
says this about them..
Getting a life certificate
A ‘life certificate’ is a form the Department for Work and Pensions might send you to check you’re still eligible for the State Pension.

If you get sent a life certificate, you’ll need to get it signed by a witness and send it back, as instructed on the form. Your payments may be suspended if you don’t send it back.

Check the list of people who can witness a life certificate. This is now the same as the list of people who can ‘countersign’ a passport photo - though they don’t need to live in the UK, or have a passport from a specific country.
Without any link to a download, so I think that they are only obtainable from them..

The list of witnesses (quoted above)is now this..
Occupations

Countersignatories must work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession or be ‘a person of good standing in their community’, eg:

accountant
airline pilot
articled clerk of a limited company
assurance agent of recognised company
bank/building society official
barrister
chairman/director of limited company
chiropodist
commissioner of oaths
councillor, eg local or county
civil servant (permanent), but not someone who works for Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO)
dentist
director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
engineer - with professional qualifications
financial services intermediary, eg a stockbroker or insurance broker
fire service official
funeral director
insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
journalist
Justice of the Peace
legal secretary - fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs
licensee of public house
local government officer
manager/personnel officer of a limited company
member, associate or fellow of a professional body
Member of Parliament
Merchant Navy officer
minister of a recognised religion - including Christian Science
nurse - RGN or RMN
officer of the armed services
optician
paralegal - certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals
person with honours, eg an OBE or MBE
pharmacist
photographer - professional
police officer
Post Office official
president/secretary of a recognised organisation
Salvation Army officer
social worker
solicitor
surveyor
teacher, lecturer
trade union officer
travel agent - qualified
valuer or auctioneer - fellows and associate members of the incorporated society
Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

toots

life certificates uk

Post by toots » December 1, 2014, 11:53 am

Thanks for the info.looks like I will have to phone them later.A form to say your alive even though your talking to them.maybe I am ringing from down there!

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

life certificates uk

Post by stattointhailand » December 1, 2014, 2:22 pm

Great Occupation list, although I can see Estate Agents suing them, as they appear to be the only occupation renowned for it's crooks, sheisters and downright liars that don't appear :-"

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

life certificates uk

Post by Khun Paul » December 1, 2014, 5:19 pm

Yes ring them if they want one they will send you one. If however you have another pension as well as the OAPension then they will probably not need one as they will check with your other pension provider, after 75 yrs of age many of us may need one as that is the age actuaries say higher percentage are dead not alive so they check up

As an after thought as I am a retired Police Officer, I will sign for anyone with production of a passport and the person. FREE.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Re: life certificates uk

Post by Khun Paul » February 4, 2023, 9:03 am

Having just had an enlightening thought , I tried to ring the DWP Pensions regarding the said Life cert Letter, as we are outside the UK the International Section is based elsewhere and their NEW number is 0800 731 0341.

Using AIS I ring 005 44 800 731 0341.

Points to note, they will send to a PO Box in Thailand .
The counter signature although not as comprehensive as previously listed seems to require the Witnesses Official stamp, therefore quicker and probably cheaper to go to a hospital for a 300 baht bill just to sign to say you are alive.` You then get the Hospital stamp .

You now have 16 weeks from date on the letter to return fully completed n the enclosed envelope, if no envelope the address is as follows:

Department of Work and Pensions
The Pension Service 11
Mail Handling Site A
Wolverhampton
Great Britain
WV98 !LW

I always send recorded/ registered .

PS This has nothing to do with your health, just a letter to say you are alive.
I did check they have zero contact with HMRC therefore they are unaware if you pay Income tax or not they also funnily enough apologised as I live in a NON Uprating country , jokingly suggested I move to Malaysia ....

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » February 4, 2023, 12:33 pm

Have the completed form on my desk now, ready to take to the post office.
I have the local bank manager witness it on my behalf. I'm in the bank anyway getting the letter and bank statement for my Immigration visit soon.
Yes, the return address is Wolverhampton. An envelope is provided, but note it's not an airmail one. I suggest you have the post office put on the airmail sticker etc. Cost is down to you.
I mention the airmail need. I've had correspondence from a bank in the UK, not airmailed, which arrived here after the requested return by date! - even though that gap was several weeks, if not a month+, if I recall.

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » February 4, 2023, 2:57 pm

Almost 26 years here and I've never had a Proof of Life Cert to be returned. However l'm in and out of the UK at least once a year and l have an accountant do my tax returns.
There's got to be a link up somewhere otherwise at the age of 76 I'm sure l should've had one.

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 4, 2023, 5:37 pm

Wee Jimmy wrote:
February 4, 2023, 2:57 pm
Almost 26 years here and I've never had a Proof of Life Cert to be returned. However l'm in and out of the UK at least once a year and l have an accountant do my tax returns.
There's got to be a link up somewhere otherwise at the age of 76 I'm sure l should've had one.
That may be true, however you are not the only one who has ever had one, do not worry one day they might or might not, lap of the gods I think

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 6, 2023, 1:07 pm

Update popped into bkk Hosp this AM, early before 0900. 15 mins in and out cost down now to 200 baht

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 6, 2023, 2:10 pm

What was the verdict?

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 6, 2023, 2:23 pm

jackspratt wrote:
February 6, 2023, 2:10 pm
What was the verdict?
I am still alive , that was nice to know , sort of confirmed my sneaky suspicions after DRIVING into town.

Drunk Monkey
udonmap.com

Post by Drunk Monkey » February 6, 2023, 2:30 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
February 6, 2023, 2:23 pm
jackspratt wrote:
What was the verdict?
I am still alive , that was nice to know , sort of confirmed my sneaky suspicions after DRIVING into town.
Thats a relief KP, i shall raise a can of chang to celebrate (small can) .. i would miss your posts if you were dead...

For future reference may i ask as to why you needed to prove your still alive , im guessing most times its for things like pensions etc but are there any other circumstances is this particular document required for.

DM
Claret n Blue all way thru .. Up the Iron
L2 Season 19/20 Codheads 0 Scunny 1 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2qrsItFUug
8 minutes is the point of lift off !!!!!!!

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » February 6, 2023, 5:52 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
jackspratt wrote:
What was the verdict?
A second opinion may be warranted.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » February 6, 2023, 6:23 pm

Drunk Monkey wrote:
February 6, 2023, 2:30 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
jackspratt wrote:
What was the verdict?
Thats a relief KP, i shall raise a can of chang to celebrate (small can) .. i would miss your posts if you were dead...

For future reference may i ask as to why you needed to prove your still alive , im guessing most times its for things like pensions etc but are there any other circumstances is this particular document required for.

DM
NO.....Look at what it's Called " LIFE Certificate " It's for a Witness to sign & PROVE You are " ALIVE "....

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » February 6, 2023, 10:18 pm

IMG_20230206_230227_672.jpg
Had two Life Certificates within days. State pension and private.
Poo Yai Bahn did the witness. Free Also, can send a photo of yourself with a up to date news paper

choi choi
udonmap.com

Post by choi choi » February 6, 2023, 11:13 pm

Khun Paul wrote:
February 4, 2023, 5:37 pm
Wee Jimmy wrote:
That may be true, however you are not the only one who has ever had one, do not worry one day they might or might not, lap of the gods I think
I assume you have notified Pensions you are living abroad?
I wonder if they can detect non resident persons :-k

Wee Jimmy
udonmap.com

Post by Wee Jimmy » February 7, 2023, 1:34 am

In my case l have and both pensions get paid into a Thai bank.

tamada
udonmap.com

Post by tamada » February 7, 2023, 7:02 am

choi choi wrote:
February 6, 2023, 11:13 pm
Khun Paul wrote:
February 4, 2023, 5:37 pm
Wee Jimmy wrote:
I assume you have notified Pensions you are living abroad?
I wonder if they can detect non resident persons :-k
I think it was mostly based on the honesty system before. These days, they probably have access to data from whatever agency operates passport scanning on entry to the UK. That in conjunction with banking's "Know Your Customer" data, it must make it harder to become an international gypsy these days.
'Don't waste your words on people who deserve your silence'
~Reinhold Messner~

'You don't have to be afraid of everything you don't understand'
~Louise Perica~

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » February 7, 2023, 7:34 am

It is a known FACT that NOW Passports notify the Government where you are not as it were. if you leave the UK they know. Co-operation between various Govt Depts may not be good but it is getting better.

Those who do not get a Life Certificate letter are not in anyway breaking any law, it is just the roll of the dice. Deparment of Work and Pensions has an International Dept for Expats living Overseas . IF and this is a Big if Old Age pensions are paid into a UK Bank Account as opposed po being paid directly into a Foreign Bank account, and after receipt of siad pension you then moved overseas, it is entirely possible you will not get a letter.

However a few years ago i knew pof a guy who did just hatand he got all the beefits as well, BUT when he died and all the Legal niceties were completed, they ( DWP) took the relatives to court for monies owed by his estate to pay back the fraud ( he still had assets in the UK, House etc ). Was quite a substantial sum as far as I know , they got it as well as the estate could NOT be finalised until it was paid

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”