Is a Letter from Bank Required for Annual Visa Extension

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » September 14, 2012, 8:38 am

In October, I have to extend my retirement visa which will be the first time in Undon for me. I have gone to Chonburi in the past which does not require a letter from bank or even copies of bank book(s) if I had letter from Embassy verifying income. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has extended their visa recently in Undon, using only a certified letter from your Embassy to verify income. Or, are they requiring both a letter from bank and Embassy.

In past years, I have gotten the letter from the bank just in case an Officer wanted it included in required documents. However this year, I may have to go to Pattaya to get the Letter because that is where I opened the account. This is what I am told by clerks at bank in Udon. I had a hard time getting a new bank book (old one full) here in Udon they kept telling me have to go to Pattaya. Two reasons for this: (1) account opened there and (2) I recently got a new passport which I am told must have new passport number changed in Pattaya. However, after much negotiating, I got a new bank book (same account number )here in Udon. I do not want the hassle of opening a new account (especially direct deposit) just to spare me a trip to Pattaya.

I am told by immigration Officer that I need copies of bank book and Letter from Embassy no mention of letter however, I cannot rely on this because of Officer discretion.

Thank you in advance for responding

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » September 14, 2012, 8:50 am

I received my one year extension based on retirement in April at the Udon office. I had the income letter from the embassy, the appropriate immigration form, my passport, money, photo, that's all. It took 20 minutes. They made the necessary copies.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » September 14, 2012, 9:35 am

I've done annual extensions in Udon both ways for several years: if you have the embassy letter showing the required income, you don't need a letter from the bank. If you have the required money in your account (800k for a retirement visa), you don't need the letter from the embassy.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 14, 2012, 3:12 pm

I usually do both simply because you don't know which way the wind is blowing on that day. Sure would be cheaper if they accepted the bank letter. How they handle it is about as clear as mud. Last time I renewed the found some obscure form from the back of the office saying I had to complete it. Then came we need help with the copy machine costs. I gave her one baht.

But, Parrot is right supposed to be one or the other. But, then there is that pesky wind :lol:

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » September 14, 2012, 5:46 pm

If the letter of the Embassy certifies, that You have more than 65.000 Baht in a month of income than there is no need to get something from the bank. Should you have less than 65.000 Baht then they will ask for the letter of the bank. It is a way for those that do not have 65.000 a month due to the changes in the parities to the Baht any longer and then can "fill up" the emerging gap.
Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 14, 2012, 6:05 pm

As it was explained to me by one immigration officer, FWTW, if you have the minimum (65K) or just over that amount, but not under they'll ask for bank documents. If you exceed the minimum amount then the income letter is all that is required. My last extension bank documentation wasn't required, I renew in Nov, hope the trend continues.

ezrider
udonmap.com

Post by ezrider » September 14, 2012, 7:04 pm

Immigration has not required a bank statement from me for the past 3 years- just the income letter from the embassy. One way to do it is go in on a slow day and ask them exactly what they will need for your visa renewal. Then go back the next day or later the same day with what they asked for and get it done. Seems like the embassy letter is the gold standard for them as far as income is concerned. Last time I did mine, the lady told my wife that she had been seeing lots of dodgy/forged/suspicious looking letters being presented. Immigration does have a folder in there with most of the official letterheads of various countries income statement documents for reference. Hope this helps.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » September 15, 2012, 9:27 am

Well it makes me confident enough to try it once. Lot cheaper to do just the bank letter.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » September 15, 2012, 9:58 am

bumper wrote:Well it makes me confident enough to try it once. Lot cheaper to do just the bank letter.
Long, long time ago you posted some good advise which I still follow. Bring anything that immigration may ask for and multiple copies of it, but don't volunteer it unless ask for.

I make the minimum monthly deposit all year round and make copies of my pass book (with exception to bank letter) and bring with me at time of renewal, but don't offer unless asked for.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 14, 2014, 12:04 pm

Just a quick question. Do they still require two originals of their renewal form?
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

tutone
udonmap.com

Post by tutone » May 14, 2014, 5:47 pm

bumper wrote:Just a quick question. Do they still require two originals of their renewal form?
I renewed last week and only gave them one original, so I guess the answer is no. I don't remember ever filling out two forms, now that I think about it. Been doing this for five years now. Also I don't bother with copies anymore. I let them do it and the last two times they have not charged me for this service.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » May 14, 2014, 7:35 pm

bumper wrote:Just a quick question. Do they still require two originals of their renewal form?
Two required for extension based on Marriage, one for retirement.

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » May 15, 2014, 7:46 am

Thanks one will do then.
I reserve the right to be wrong, mispell words type badly. leave words out of sentences because my mind works faster then my fingers. To be an OLD GIT I've earned it

macca46
udonmap.com

Post by macca46 » November 27, 2015, 12:28 pm

Last year I did my first extension at Nong Khia but this year I will have to do it in Udon Thani I have 800K in my bank plus my Aus. pension is direct deposited into the account every month average at the moment about 40K a month.

My bank is Bangkok Bank main branch Udon so when I go and ask for a letter for Immigration will they know what I am talking about? and how much time will I need to give them or can they do it while I wait?

Thanks in advance.

@Thesportsbar

Post by @Thesportsbar » November 27, 2015, 12:50 pm

Did mine last week. Need a letter saying balance and when you opened the account. Also a updated copy of your bank book( do a withdrawal while there ) and a photo copy of every page in your bank book x 2. Thats what i did last week......maybe this week who knows!!!!!!

novo58
udonmap.com

Post by novo58 » November 27, 2015, 12:57 pm

Im sure that in Udon Thani you just need proof of finances ...................one or the other.

I have used the bank letter showing 800K B in bank for 3 mths ( just to be sure) prior to my extension application.

Go to bank and request letter for immigration. They do it on the spot ( usually takes about 15mins for someone to type up).letter costs ( I think) 150B
I ALWAYS get it the morning before going to immigration ----as the main branch of Bangkok bank is not far from Imm office in Udon thani.

I have been in Udon Thani Imm Office when others have been refused their extension as money was not seeded for long enough ( even one person who was 2 days short of required time).

bumper
udonmap.com

Post by bumper » November 27, 2015, 3:17 pm

Interesting for years everyone said I didn't need one my latter from the American Embassy was enough so I tried it without the bank letter just copied my bank book. Went one day early in case something went wrong they are not hard to get. Got a renewal with no problem waited the ten s days like everyone else did. Came back and picked up my passport.

Bandung_Dero
udonmap.com

Post by Bandung_Dero » November 27, 2015, 3:53 pm

novo58 wrote:<Snip>

I have been in Udon Thani Imm Office when others have been refused their extension as money was not seeded for long enough ( even one person who was 2 days short of required time).
Yes, I have a friend who was refused over the same issue. It was no big deal, Immigration gave him a special extension of one month after which he was able to complete the formalities.
Sent from my 1977 Apple II using 2 Heinz bake bean cans and piano wire!

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”