Extension of Retirement Visa Since Closer Scrutiny Annouced

Thailand visa and Immigration forum
LoneTraveler
udonmap.com

Post by LoneTraveler » August 26, 2012, 9:43 am

I need to extend my O-A retirement visa next month (first time in Udon), prior extensions in Pattaya. I would like to hear from those who have gone though this process since the new "Chief of Immigration" announced to his staff that they need to be more vigilant in the renewal processing of Visas because he was "fed-up with foreigners abuses. I am sure you have all read his statement which is under the topic "British Man and Wife Arrested for Fraud" My previous dealings with Udon Immigration (90 day and resident certificate for auto purchase) have been efficient and quick with a pleasant and helpful staff (ex. taking of photo and making copies for me at no charge).

In Pattaya, extensions were very efficient and quick. Effective as of October 2011, did not need letter from bank or bank books, just letter from Embassy without the need to prove 2 months income which some have stated here, is required. Although, I do come prepared with documentation to satisfy any scenario that may arise due to Officer discretion.

A side note, why is the month of October (from observation and forums) such a busy month for extensions as opposed to other months?
Thank you in advance for sharing your experience.

semperfiguy
udonmap.com

Post by semperfiguy » August 26, 2012, 10:05 am

Lone Traveler, I was at Udon Immigration earlier this month for my Non-Immigrant O-A Retirement Visa extension and was in and out within 15 minutes with no difficulty at all. As usual I just presented my US passport, Yellow Book, Extension Request Form and an Embassy certified Income Letter. After two years I am a familiar face and always make an effort to leave a favorable and memorable impression when I visit. Don't know if that always helps in Thailand, but it certainly can't hurt.
Colossians 2:8-10...See to it that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deception, which are based on human tradition and the spiritual forces of the world rather than on Christ. For in HIM dwells all the fullness of the GODHEAD bodily; and you are complete in HIM, who is the head of all principality and power.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 26, 2012, 10:06 am

I got my Non Immigrant O extended last week on the basis of Retirement.....
Just took copies of the relevant pages of my passport,proof of income,tabien baan (yellow book) etc.
Service was polite and friendly.....took about 25 minutes to complete.
One thing.....I was asked to draw a map of the route from the Immigration Office to my home.....so be prepared for that.
If your paperwork is in order you should be fine.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

bamakmak
udonmap.com

Post by bamakmak » August 26, 2012, 10:23 am

Late July - Retirement extension. The total processing time was about 15 minutes.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 26, 2012, 10:31 am

I believe more scrutiny is placed on spouse/family extensions because of abuses by some claiming to be married. With that, a close friend recently applied for and was extended based on marriage, all went smoothly. My renewal for retirement comes up in November, I don't anticipate any drama. As long as you present the documentation requested you shouldn't have any issues. Remember bring exact change and beware of this one, she's in the habit of asking for donations...

*Before anyone has any issues with the above warning (name & shame), she tired to extort 500bt from me for transferring my visa/extension to a new passport, which is a free service. I reported her to the Immigration Inspector (phone number provided at immigration for complaints) and he was fully aware of her activities and confirmed the visa transfer is a free service. He basically he wrote it off as my choice to give or not...mai pen rai.

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » August 26, 2012, 11:36 am

Hi,
Instead of drawing a map, which i am hopless at, i get a copy from google earth. This has been accepted by four different I.O.s over the past years.
I have a map showing Imm. Office, to my house, and a detailed map of the house. The funny thing is, although the I.O. say they may send someone around to check, they never have. I must have an honest face.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » August 26, 2012, 11:45 am

douglas wrote:Hi,
Instead of drawing a map, which i am hopless at, i get a copy from google earth. This has been accepted by four different I.O.s over the past years.
I have a map showing Imm. Office, to my house, and a detailed map of the house. The funny thing is, although the I.O. say they may send someone around to check, they never have. I must have an honest face.
Unless your neighbour tells you, you will never know they've been as they interview them , not you .
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » August 26, 2012, 3:30 pm

Hi,
They said, they might send someone round to see me, and check the house. Over the last four years they have never even been to see me, or my neighbours, as the wife has asked them. You have to bring a Thai. person, who has known you for 12 months, and is not a relative, when you renew your P.to S.. They have a interview with the Imm. off. by themselves, and have to fill in and sign a form, before you get your P.to S. stamp in your P.P.. They put a 30 day stamp in you P.P. and when things are approved, you go down to Imm. and get the 12 month one. Mine took 14 days last Nov. So will check this Nov.if anything has altered or not.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » August 26, 2012, 4:35 pm

Just to clarify - you do NOT need a Thai witness if you are extending based on retirement (which the OP is).

The Thai witness is only required if you are extending based on marriage.

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 27, 2012, 7:28 am

papaguido wrote: Remember bring exact change and beware of this one, she's in the habit of asking for donations...

*Before anyone has any issues with the above warning (name & shame), she tired to extort 500bt from me for transferring my visa/extension to a new passport, which is a free service..........
This lady is usually seated at the first processing desk. I've seen her being very efficient and helpful, but regrettably there could be a motive in that, rather than her just doing her job properly and fairly. It was another lady officer seated at the next desk up who tried to get 700 baht out of me over another free service. My own view is that, given the opportunity, sadly they're all 'at it' and one might post photos of the COMPLETE Immigration team here!

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 27, 2012, 10:56 am

The subject officer is the only one I've ever encountered any problems with and she's also been subject of unpleasant behavior on another thread...

http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/i ... 23390.html

I get the feeling it's all a game to her, if she can swindle someone out of their money she will until you call her on it. Like asking for a receipt, which I did. She said no receipt and I said mai baht. I won't be extorted out my money. If it's a donation they want then let them put a tip jar.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » August 27, 2012, 12:01 pm

Merchant seaman wrote on another thread:
ACS Outreach - September 2012
Fiscal year ends Sept. 30. So Oct.-Dec. not covered by this schedule. Hopefully they will return in Dec. or be In Khon Kaen in Dec. I will need an affidavit of income and Sept. is too early to get it(already checked with immigration) need to get it in Dec.
New rule? Has anyone else heard of this? I'm extending my retirement Visa in October. Hate to pay 2,000 baht on a letter in September that won't be valid in October! :shock:
UFF DA!

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » August 27, 2012, 12:11 pm

I've never had a problem with the immigration office here asking me for extra money. I did get swindled out of 500 baht back when I was a newbe getting my first Thai drivers license (in Bkk). Didn't realize it until I left the office and looked at the receipt. What she asked for (and I paid) was 500 more than what was on the receipt.
My 500 baht lesson: Best to know what things cost before you go in!
UFF DA!

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » August 27, 2012, 12:45 pm

Hi,
Jack, sorry about that. Getting senile. I changed to marriage, over two years ago, when the GBP went downhill and i was 20,000B short of the 800,000B. To give Imm. their due, they said go and deposit 20,000B in a Thai. bank and come back tomorrow. I said i would rather get a P.to S. due to marriage, which does not require the 800KB, just 40,000B a month. Which i got with no trouble. T've slapped my wrist, for that error.
As for that lady from Imm. Had her 2 years ago. Very helpful and pleasant. Naver asked for any "tip", and charged the correct monies, this was my experance with her.

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 27, 2012, 1:43 pm

Jello wrote:Merchant seaman wrote on another thread:
ACS Outreach - September 2012
Fiscal year ends Sept. 30. So Oct.-Dec. not covered by this schedule. Hopefully they will return in Dec. or be In Khon Kaen in Dec. I will need an affidavit of income and Sept. is too early to get it(already checked with immigration) need to get it in Dec.
New rule? Has anyone else heard of this? I'm extending my retirement Visa in October. Hate to pay 2,000 baht on a letter in September that won't be valid in October! :shock:
I extended last Nov and my 4 month old Income letter was accepted. I was told by the immigration officer that the income letter was valid for 4 months. Anything over 4 months not acceptable. Don't know if anyone has heard different. The income letter fee is 1500bt.

Jello
udonmap.com

Post by Jello » August 27, 2012, 2:00 pm

Thanks for the info Papa.
UFF DA!

LilRed
udonmap.com

Post by LilRed » August 27, 2012, 8:20 pm

I renewed my retirement visa last Sept, and was assured that the income letter was good for 1 year.

I agree with SFG. Courtesy is cheap. And, after you been here awhile, they do get to recognize ya, to the point of asking about ur family members (particularly young ones), and so forth.

I try and go 30 minutes prior to lunch time or quittin time... Place is generally near empty.

LoveDaBlues
udonmap.com

Post by LoveDaBlues » August 28, 2012, 7:49 am

I was recently told the income letter was good for: "3 months; up to 6 months". HUH......WTF does that mean? My best guess is the letter is always good for 3 months and up to 6 months at their discretion.

At any rate it looks like the time is all over the place; I would recommend not taking a chance and stay within
the 3 months.

JR
udonmap.com

Post by JR » September 15, 2012, 10:16 pm

Brian Davis wrote:
papaguido wrote: Remember bring exact change and beware of this one, she's in the habit of asking for donations...

*Before anyone has any issues with the above warning (name & shame), she tired to extort 500bt from me for transferring my visa/extension to a new passport, which is a free service..........
This lady is usually seated at the first processing desk. I've seen her being very efficient and helpful, but regrettably there could be a motive in that, rather than her just doing her job properly and fairly. It was another lady officer seated at the next desk up who tried to get 700 baht out of me over another free service. My own view is that, given the opportunity, sadly they're all 'at it' and one might post photos of the COMPLETE Immigration team here!
That is khun Nut. (no pun)

RLTrader
udonmap.com

Post by RLTrader » September 17, 2012, 1:32 pm

Uneventful Immigration today - Extension of Retirement Visa

waited 5 mins for # - handed passport and stack of paperwork. Was asked if I had copies of obscure 5 year old Visa stamps (2007), said No, had girl make copies. Had to resign pages, within stamp applied. 15 min wait, paid 1900 baht, was told 2,000 baht, because of copies. Left.

Notes in the margin:

Income letter was dated March 7, 2012 and no problem, not mentioned. My understanding has always been, same calendar year.

Think I had girl above, first processing desk, but no glasses.

Return to “Thailand Visas & Migration to other countries”