UdonExpat
udonmap.com

The tourists are coming, the tourists are coming

Post by UdonExpat » May 5, 2008, 12:57 pm

Bangkok Post

TOURISM

TAT sharpens focus on promoting the Northeast
CHATRUDEE THEPARAT

KHON KAEN : The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) is preparing to declare 2008-2010 as the years of tourism for northeastern Thailand to increase overnight stays by visitors in the region.

According to Tourism and Sports Minister Weerasak Kowsurat, the TAT is introducing new tourism routes along the Mekong River, dinosaur fossils and cultural tourism in the Northeast, and Khmer and ancient civilisations of the region as part of the promotion plan.

The TAT also plans to hold tourism fairs in Bangkok and Ubon Ratchathani.

According to a TAT study, average spending by visitors to northeastern provinces increased slightly over the last seven years from 1,497 baht per trip in 2001 baht to 1,546 baht in 2007.

The rates are still far below the national average of 5,000 baht per trip.

Tourist arrivals to northeastern provinces totalled 16.81 million in 2007 compared with 12.7 million in 2001, with revenue rising to 34.51 billion baht from 20.3 billion during the period.

Spending by Thai and foreign visitors in the region was also found to be not very different, in contrast to the spending structure in the South and North.

Foreign visitors to the Northeast spent an average of 1,931 baht per trip, with Thais spending 1,528 baht. In the South, average per capita spending of foreign visitors was 16,225 baht per trip, with Thais spending 4,025 baht. Foreign visitors to the North spent 7,571 baht per trip and Thais 3,263 baht.

Mr Weerasak said the region itself needed improved facilities and tourism spots in order to attract visitors to take more overnight stays.

Sirirat Denvorapongsasuk, managing director of the Ubon Buri Hotel & Resort, said tourists mostly opted to use the northeastern provinces as the gateway to visit Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia.

She said the government should also help support the meeting, incentive, convention and exhibition (Mice) industry, since the major cities in the region could accommodate meetings of more than 1,000 seats.

Suthat Praesurin, vice-chairman of the Tourism Association of Udon Thai province, said the government should persuade more low-cost airlines to stop over at northeastern airports to serve visitors travelling to and from neighbouring countries.

He said Airports of Thailand Plc should cut airport service fees to support interested airlines.

The budget carriers Tiger Air and Air Asia had earlier planned to operate flights to Udon Thani, but later changed to Vientiane because Thai airport fees were too high.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » May 5, 2008, 10:37 pm

"He said Airports of Thailand Plc should cut airport service fees to support interested airlines.
The budget carriers Tiger Air and Air Asia had earlier planned to operate flights to Udon Thani, but later changed to Vientiane because Thai airport fees were too high".

So we have a brand spanking new "International" airport with only domestic flights.
That's clever marketing. :roll: Price the airlines out so they go next door. So do the tourists and their spending money.
A proper saloon car taxi service in the town, would not go amiss.

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » May 6, 2008, 7:34 am

Most of the tourists to this area are Thais and you will notice that in this area,Thais spend almost as much as falangs!

JimboPSM
udonmap.com

Post by JimboPSM » May 6, 2008, 8:05 am

It would be interesting to have a breakdown of the spending of these high rollers who vist the North East.

An average increase of 49 baht per trip in six years from 1,497 baht to 1,546 baht must have local business owners drooling.

Looked at another way spending per trip has increased by 3.3% over six years - after allowing for inflation that would be an increase of :oops: :oops: :oops:

No wonder so many westerners have rushed to open bars to get a slice of the action :lol:

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » May 6, 2008, 9:02 am

Five years ago I never saw any tourist buses. Now I see them regularly. I think they are mostly Thai tourists, but did see a Laos tour bus the other day. Haven't noticed any tour buses with farangs, but perhaps with this promotion we'll begin to see them. The "See the Real Thailand" tours.

Of course the number of farangs in Udon has increased dramatically in the past years, but most do not seem to be tourists, although they may not be long stay either.

The Charoensri Grand will probably be the destination hotel for farang tours. I can easily see a bus load of European old couples and younger couples with kids unloading there.

The visa and tour services near Friendship bridge have increased a bit, so have the numbers of farangs I see there. I guess most tourists to this area are on their way to or from Laos.

With the new bridge at Mukdahan there will probably be an increase of farangs traveling to Vietnam via Laos.

I fear our guiet little corner of paradise will soon be discovered.

Aardvark
udonmap.com

Post by Aardvark » May 6, 2008, 9:38 am

Just got back on Thursday and this morning went through all of the accounts etc, and looks like I spent in excess of Bht150.000 for the month long stay, thats 10 times what they quote for Falang Tourists :shock: there must be some real stingy b@$t*#ds out there :D

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » May 8, 2008, 7:42 am

Or perhaps just a very few extravagent visitors. Keep up the free spending :lol:

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”