Korat Zoo

Issan the rural northeast forum
papaguido
udonmap.com

Korat Zoo

Post by papaguido » March 10, 2008, 2:53 pm

Last week made a run to BKK with the family. On the return trip we spent 1 night in Korat. Saturday morning we went to the Korat zoo, followed by an afternoon of swimming at the Fantasia Lagoon water park.

Zoo

It was a nice morning for the zoo, a cool breeze made it comfortable to cruise around on rented bikes and view most of the exhibits in about 2 hours. Also, available are golf carts and a mini train. Not sure of the fee for the train, but golf carts are 350bt an hour.

ImageImage

The zoo entrance fee is 100bt for foreign adults and 50 bt for children. Thais pay 50bt adult/10bt children. Although not the best zoo that I’ve visited, but it was worth the price of admission (despite the dual pricing) and a nice attraction for the kids.

An additional fee (20bt adults, children free) for the seal show, which the kids enjoyed.

There is accommodation on the zoo grounds just outside the park entrance, bungalows that go for 1200bt a night and include the park admission (that’s all the info I have on accommodation). Zoo info: 0-4493-4647, 0-4493-4531, 0-4493-4532.

The zoo is located about 20-25 mins form town center.

More pic's...

The Farmer
udonmap.com

Post by The Farmer » March 10, 2008, 9:47 pm

papaguido,
thank you very much.
I planned this trip with my son long time ago,didn't know,what's going on over there.
So,connecting with Bkk,buing a couple of Rabbits,we will stop over there.
Thank's
The Farmer :D

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 10, 2008, 10:26 pm

Farmer,

I'm sure there's more kid friendly activities, but we didn't get a chance to really explore. We only had a day in Korat and spent few hours at the zoo. The zoo is not really that impressive, but I think what made it enjoyable was biking around to the animal exhibits, we could literally ride up to view the animals without dismounting our bikes. We all got a kick out of feeding the giraffes, I've never been that close to one and thought it was an awesome experience. This alone was worth the price of admission.

There's also a petting zoo, but it was closed on this day.

pompui
udonmap.com

Post by pompui » March 10, 2008, 10:42 pm

Did you fall for the fake lion roars to get you to stop at the lion enclosure and once there never see the lions?
Maybe it is a trick by zoos plus the seal enclosure,if you do not get their early for a show,end up in an area where the sun gets you all sweated up!
Overall enjoyable but chaing mai easier for a weekend trip with flight from udon and its cheap night market.
I thought Korat had 2 places of interest,the zoo and the jail that accomodates the farangs who are on lesser charges than those at the bangkok hilton:shock:

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » March 11, 2008, 1:58 pm

pompui wrote:Did you fall for the fake lion roars to get you to stop at the lion enclosure and once there never see the lions?
Maybe it is a trick by zoos plus the seal enclosure,if you do not get their early for a show,end up in an area where the sun gets you all sweated up!
Overall enjoyable but chaing mai easier for a weekend trip with flight from udon and its cheap night market.
I thought Korat had 2 places of interest,the zoo and the jail that accomodates the farangs who are on lesser charges than those at the bangkok hilton:shock:
No fake lion roars, but real lions. A male lion with his back to us was napping, he looked old and thin, not anything like an individual of the beast should look. There was a female, also napping and cubs in a cage that were barely within view.

Goldcoaster au
udonmap.com

Re: Korat Zoo

Post by Goldcoaster au » February 11, 2009, 7:47 pm

how fare is Korat from udon?

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 11, 2009, 8:41 pm

No idea what the distance is, but we made the drive in about 4.5 hrs.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » February 11, 2009, 8:51 pm

Nice trip report. =D>

Does the Fantasia Water Park, operate the same racist double pricing as the Zoo? :cry:

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » February 11, 2009, 8:57 pm

Prenders88 wrote:Nice trip report. =D>

Does the Fantasia Water Park, operate the same racist double pricing as the Zoo? :cry:
Unless things have changed, pricing was for adults and children only.

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”