Missing Link

Issan the rural northeast forum
tawan3
udonmap.com

Missing Link

Post by tawan3 » July 5, 2007, 3:22 pm

Current construction of railroads linking Kunming, China, Vietnam, Laos and Northeast Thailand to Singapore will make a quiet different Orient Express as more investors are demanding infrastructure projects to supply and move goods through out Southeast Asia. most of these projects are financed through the world bank. See map below for links to Nong Khai and Khon Kaen.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » July 5, 2007, 3:47 pm

On my last visit to Laos I noticed that they were laying rail tracks on the friendship bridge. I overheard a monk on the bus saying that this will link Vientiane with Nong Khai.

tawan3
udonmap.com

Post by tawan3 » July 5, 2007, 3:49 pm

Yes, that is correct part of the same project in investing in transportation hubs.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » July 5, 2007, 3:55 pm

I did read somewhere that the Thai Laos link will terminate not far from the Laos side of the bridge. I cannot remember where I read it now. I remember the article because it seemed so illogical to terminate it there.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

tawan3
udonmap.com

Post by tawan3 » July 5, 2007, 4:00 pm

I have read too many articles today but as I remember the article talked about the 20 or so kilometer link from Nong Khai to Vietchung, Laos. I am at the Japanese stock market news right now so I do not remember, sorry.

lee
udonmap.com

Post by lee » July 5, 2007, 5:41 pm

It will be built in two phases, the first phase funded by the Thai government will link Thailand to Tha Na Laeng in Laos, and the second phase funded by France will link Na Laeng to Vientiane.

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”