Accommodation in Tha Li (Loie)

Issan the rural northeast forum
arjay
udonmap.com

Accommodation in Tha Li (Loie)

Post by arjay » June 20, 2007, 11:26 pm

Does anyone know anything about Tha Li and if there is any accommodation there?

[It's in Loie province, roughly due north of Phu Ruea, close to the Laos border and the bridge over the river Hueang.]

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 21, 2007, 8:17 pm

Does anyone know if a farang can cross the border at the Hueang river bridge crossing, north of Phu Rhur, or is it only available for Thai and Lao people? I have seen road signs in Thailand pointing to Luang Prabang and the above crossing point.

Nick@AUA
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Nick@AUA » June 22, 2007, 12:30 pm

Last Songkran holiday went on a 'tour' of Loie. Started from udon, drove up to Nong Kai then took a left and followed the river as far as I could to Chiang Khan then down towards Tha Li.

It was a beautiful scenic drive along the Mekong. There are lots of 'resort' type places all over the place and we had no problem finding good cheap accommodation anywhere. (There seems to be quite a few resorts along the Mekong, with nice views down the river for 300-500 baht per night). Then as you head towards the town of loei there are more resorts dotted along the main roads.

Not sure if you can cross into Laos without an immigration 'checkpoint' though.

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » June 22, 2007, 4:09 pm

Arjay, that is the area that Nina, (the so called dragon lady from immigration) was banished to. I am sure she will help you out if you smile at her.

John
Gurgle, Gurgle...

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » June 22, 2007, 4:59 pm

Thanks AUA Manager.

I've since down some research through Google and from what I can determine a foreigner can cross there, but can't get a Laos visa on arrival. I.e. would have to have previously obtained a visa from Bangkok or Khon Kaen. Also transportation links are minimal.

patriot
udonmap.com

Post by patriot » June 22, 2007, 5:37 pm

Straying slightly from the OP's question, if you carry on down the Huang River into Na Haew amphur, there's an interesting little town called Baan Prair where the folk just wade across the river into and out of Laos, with only an olive clad official casually watching.
Any trip around Loei has a surprise around every bend .... can't recommend it highly enough.

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”