Sakon Nakhon

Issan the rural northeast forum
CanadianIslandGirl

Sakon Nakhon

Post by CanadianIslandGirl » September 8, 2013, 12:35 pm

Hey all!

I will be moving to Sakon Nakhon next month so if you have any suggestions for me in regards to the area it would be much appreciated. I am extremely active so any adventurous excursions you know of would be helpful. I have heard it is not the most luxurious area but that is not what I am looking for anyway. I just have a few quick questions:

1-I am a big runner, but I understand the packs of wild dogs deter citizens from spending any time walking/running the streets. Is there anywhere in particular you would consider safe to run!? Pleaseee, I use it as my stress release!

2-How are the bugs around this area? I don't know whether or not to get shots for Malaria or Japanese Encephalitis. They are so expensive!

3-Has anyone tried/heard of the activities available at Bird's Paradise Extreme Resort? Particularly the skydiving?

Thanks in advance!

Zidane
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Zidane » September 8, 2013, 3:08 pm

CanadianIslandGirl wrote:
1-I am a big runner, but I understand the packs of wild dogs deter citizens from spending any time walking/running the streets. Is there anywhere in particular you would consider safe to run!? Pleaseee, I use it as my stress release!
I'm actually from Udon Thani but I've seen a park about 2 kilometres out of Sakon Nakhon on the right as you head towards the main Udon road......I think its called Somdet Park ? and would probably be the place where locals do their exercising.
Theres a guy on this forum called Sakhonnick and it might be worthwhile sending him a pm if you want to know about places in Sakon Nakhon.
But dont try running the streets as dogs can be a big problem.

I'm presuming you have a job in Sakon Nakhon but if you are into the running and flexible where you will live then Udon Thani has 3 nice lakes/parks where locals exercise.....Nong Prajak,Nong Sim and Nong Bua.
Nong Prajak,in particular,sees many locals exercising in the evenings.....walking,running,biking,football,skateboarding,aerobics etc.....3.2 kilometres all around.
Also Khon Kaen has a bigger lake than Nong Prajak in Beung Kaen Nakhon where people exercise at sunset.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Sakhonnick » September 8, 2013, 4:06 pm

There are a few public parks around town that do not allow dogs in so no worries there, the main one at the lake will be your best one to go to, many people use it for exercise and running aerobics etc

I like it here, I go to Udon a lot but much prefer to live in Sakon Nakhon, I don't know your age but here are lots of young teachers who work here and expats who have retired, me well I'm mid age 37 and work month on month off in the Gulf

CanadianIslandGirl

Sakon Nakhon

Post by CanadianIslandGirl » September 8, 2013, 8:48 pm

Thanks so much for the info Zidane and Sakhonnick! It is much appreciated. I just received an email this morning clarifying that I will no longer be stationed in the city of Sakon Nakhon but the rural community of Waritchaphum, half way between the city on Sakon Nakhon and Udon Thani. I don't suppose either of you know anything about this area?

parrot
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by parrot » September 8, 2013, 8:59 pm

Here's where:
Attachments
Capture.JPG

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Sakhonnick » September 8, 2013, 9:52 pm

Will u be staying in Pang Kong? Thats about 30mins from the city by car, drive through it to go yo Udon anf twice went to "bow deng" pub there, other than that not sure much there, its a small town, hss the basic stuff, banks 7/11 etc

Zidane
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Zidane » September 9, 2013, 8:50 am

Heres a video I found called "Amazing Waritchaphum"........keeping fit,dancing at the temple during the week and running in either Sakon Nakhon or Udon Thani at weekends ?? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ZDd4sspgE
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

CanadianIslandGirl

Sakon Nakhon

Post by CanadianIslandGirl » September 9, 2013, 7:39 pm

Haha yeah I watched that video too! Had a good little laugh at it. Thanks so much for you help folks. The count down is on! :)

kevin2009
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by kevin2009 » December 6, 2013, 7:57 am

Anyone familiar with Sawang Daen Din, on route 22....spent a alot of time there on and off over the last 10 years, and i will be there for most of 2014 :D

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Sakhonnick » December 17, 2013, 4:01 pm

Just to let you guys know if you ever make it to Sakhon Nakhon City

Apple's has moved location, round the corner to a Double Unit, if you have never been to Sakon here is how to get there:

Get to Bic C in the center of town just outside Big C look to your right from the main door and go through that set of lights and drive 2klm south, Apples is on the right hand side about 100m before the next set of lights

Dan "Theman" who owns Apples serves, breakfasts, Burgers, Pizzas, Lasagne, SpagBol, etc and Thai food, he also is a master baker and his Breads, Buns Cookies, fruit cakes, etc are very good

Ice Cold Beer, Wine and Cider available all at a very good price

Best place in town for expat meet ups and many thai people have started to go!!!

If you make it to Sakon Nakhon, and looking for a bite to eat or/and cold beer/cider Apples is the place to go !!!

Nick@AUA
Udonmap Sponsor

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Nick@AUA » December 18, 2013, 7:17 am

Zidane wrote:Heres a video I found called "Amazing Waritchaphum"........keeping fit,dancing at the temple during the week and running in either Sakon Nakhon or Udon Thani at weekends ?? ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44ZDd4sspgE
Very interesting video. Now I know why they call it amazing at 2.52 on the vid.

moller

Sakon Nakhon

Post by moller » February 4, 2014, 1:13 am

Some help please!

My wife and I are moving from Phuket end of this month to her hometown Sakhon Nakhon. The time was set as our current rental contract ends, and frankly I had enough of 7 years of buzz and crouds on Phuket. Its not what it was when I first came..

The big problem is to find a rental in Sakhon Nakhon City
We have been looking everywere on the net, and family involved to to find a desent place for rent..
But 0 luck so far

My hope is one of you guys know a place or someone who would be interested in a long term contract..

We have ALL furnitures needed and just need a ok 2-3 bedroom house, townhouse..

Thanks,

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Sakhonnick » February 4, 2014, 7:13 am

Hi and Welcome to Sakon,

Your correct not much if any rentals in the City, dont know your standard of house but there is not much higher end houses available, also dont know if you need furnished or un-furnished, and whats your Bugdet?

There are 4 maybe 5 gated villages, the one im in is the newest and close to Big C, 3 phases 100 houses each phase and as far as i know nothing available for rent, I do know a guy who has a nice 3 bed house that he rents for around 8,000/month furnished i can ask him if its available

Dont be worried about Sakon plenty expats live there and a good bunch of guys if you want to meet up go to the Apple Bar/Restraunt,

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Sakhonnick » February 4, 2014, 7:42 am

Sakhonnick wrote:Hi and Welcome to Sakon,

Your correct not much if any rentals in the City, dont know your standard of house but there is not much higher end houses available, also dont know if you need furnished or un-furnished, and whats your Bugdet?

There are 4 maybe 5 gated villages, the one im in is the newest and close to Big C, 3 phases 100 houses each phase and as far as i know nothing available for rent, I do know a guy who has a nice 3 bed house that he rents for around 8,000/month furnished i can ask him if its available

Dont be worried about Sakon plenty expats live there and a good bunch of guys if you want to meet up go to the Apple Bar/Restraunt,
sorry just read you have funiture, ok whats your budget? you can get some old houses oppsoite the Univercity in Bann That the junction to the Airport for around 5,000 month, The main Village builder in Sakon built the Areeya Villages, we are in Areeya 3 near Big C

moller

Sakon Nakhon

Post by moller » February 4, 2014, 8:15 am

Thanks Nick

Much appreciated for your help.
The price will be fine arround the 8-12k a month.
I come from a 3bed 150 square meter house for 12k a month in Phuket. I dont expext fully weestern kitchen and 3 aircon as we have now,, Just a kitchen area and minimum 1aircon in bedroom can do it...

Good to know there are other expats arround. Will need to know where the good restaurant are. Im not a bar type but love to get a beer over a BBQ with friends

Thanks for helping

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Sakhonnick » February 4, 2014, 9:00 am

I will try and find out if his house is available

When will u be in Sakon?

Sakon has the best beef/pork BBQS in Plenty around town, go to Apples Restraunt you will meet most of the guys there
http://sakonnakhon-live.blogspot.com/search/label/Apple

moller

Sakon Nakhon

Post by moller » February 4, 2014, 10:16 am

We move out end of this month 28th feb
If we dont get any for that time, then luckly the family have some fine spacy office storeroom to put our furniture while we keep looking. Just hope it wont be necessary

Thanks for helping,

Look forward for the Beef..

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Frankie 1 » February 4, 2014, 9:18 pm

moller wrote:Look forward for the Beef..
There is a top quality steak restaurant in the center of town, it's called "Thong Dee"
Thong Dee restaurant is located on the Sukkasem Road / Kamchad Phai intersection.

Restaurant Apples probably has the best hamburgers in town.

If you want to go shopping, there is a small shopping mall called "Robinson Lifestyle Center" (with Robinson, Major Cineplex, Tops Supermarket, a Food center, Pizza Company, Sports World, etcetera).

There are also a Big C and a Tesco Lotus in Sakon Nakhon.

For DIY handy people there are Home Pro, Thai Watsadu, Global House and several local shops.

The website SakonNakhonGuide.com is in Thai language, but on the homepage there is a useful interactive map of Sakon Nakhon:
http://www.sakonnakhonguide.com/index.php

Sakhonnick
udonmap.com

Sakon Nakhon

Post by Sakhonnick » February 5, 2014, 6:56 am

moller wrote:We move out end of this month 28th feb
If we dont get any for that time, then luckly the family have some fine spacy office storeroom to put our furniture while we keep looking. Just hope it wont be necessary

Thanks for helping,

Look forward for the Beef..
Just sent you pm about possible house rent

moller

Sakon Nakhon

Post by moller » February 6, 2014, 12:09 am

Thank you Nick
I send an email to him
I could not pm you back, says Im new member

Thank you so much for your help

Moller

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”