Khonkaen University Agricultural Fair

Issan the rural northeast forum
parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 20, 2011, 8:23 pm

The annual Khonkaen University Agricultural Fair takes place from 20-29 January 2012. If it grows, they'll probably have it for sale. And generally the prices are much cheaper than anything in Udon, including the Tungsrimuang plant vendors. Wear a good pair of walking shoes, be prepared for crowds, or take a good book to read while your wife/gf does the shopping.

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 28, 2013, 5:01 pm

This year's Khonkaen University fair is taking place 27 Jan - 3 Feb. We went today....after morning showers, a perfect day for being outdoors.
If you want to know how to grow earthworms, mushrooms, catfish, talapia, insect-free veggies.....this is the place to go. How to make charcoal....they'll show you how.

There are acres and acres of every plant imaginable (in Thailand) for sale. You can also buy hydroponic or insecticide free veggies.

The students at the various displays seemed eager to share their knowledge of various growing techniques. The student at the earthworm display is a PhD student who spoke excellent English.
All in all a good place to go for a long day outdoors.........I'd advise against going on the weekend.....and best if you arrive early so you can park reasonable close to the fairgrounds.
Attachments
IMG_2270.JPG
earthworm display
IMG_2267.JPG
cost analysis of cement ring grown mushrooms
IMG_2265.JPG
growing mushrooms in a cement ring
IMG_2262.JPG
Nangfa Mushrooms on display
IMG_2260.JPG
Nangrom Hungary Mushrooms on display
IMG_2258.JPG
Mushroom display

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 28, 2013, 5:07 pm

More photos
Attachments
IMG_2287.JPG
this root is advertised for men who are suffering Erectile Disfunction
IMG_2278.JPG
IMG_2276.JPG
the ?organic? veggie farm is only 10km from KKU
IMG_2276.JPG
many varieties of lettuce.....dirt cheap
IMG_2273.JPG
Lots of dogs for sale as well
IMG_2271.JPG
earthworm display information

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 28, 2013, 5:13 pm

more photos
Attachments
IMG_2256.JPG
Interesting advertising ideas
IMG_2283.JPG
you can make believe the garden is your own
IMG_2291.JPG
lots of strawberries for sale 20baht per 100g/200 baht per kilo
IMG_2290.JPG
8 baht/kg......US prices about 20 times higher......Sweden??

FrazeeDK
udonmap.com

Post by FrazeeDK » January 28, 2013, 5:16 pm

John, specific location please?? and you've got to sets of dates, is the 2nd set (going into Feb) the correct one??
Dave

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 28, 2013, 6:04 pm

I resurrected an old post advertising the 2012 fair. The 2013 fair is 27 Jan - 3 Feb. Sorry for that confusion.
Enter Khonkaen University main entrance off the highway before you enter the city itself.
You'll need to go about 1-2km inside the campus before turning left......another 1km or so. There are signs along the campus road, but all in Thai.
Caution: There are a fair number of 2 legged distractions along the campus road.....best to keep your eyes on the road.

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » April 18, 2013, 2:28 pm

Thanks for posting. I really enjoy things like this. Did they have many breeds of chickens for sale for egg production? How about meat goats and milk goats? I never saw goat meat, or any goats in Thailand. Seems strange, it's the perfect place for them. Any thoughts?

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 18, 2013, 4:54 pm

You can get goat meat at Macro. Yes rare to see goats, guess they are just to destructive. Probably some in the south - as Muslims eat a lot of goat.

BigRick808
udonmap.com

Post by BigRick808 » April 18, 2013, 10:22 pm

rick wrote:You can get goat meat at Macro. Yes rare to see goats, guess they are just to destructive. Probably some in the south - as Muslims eat a lot of goat.
Yes, they can really do a lot of damage if not properly managed. They will eat off the bark of the entire circumference of a tree and kill it, at well as climbing the trees and eating all the leaves. I have raised them for many years and maintained fencing to prevent this. The meat they produce is very nutritious and delicious once one gets used to the different taste. Being that they will eat almost anything, and due to differences in physiology(to cows), the meat and milk is much lower in cost compared to beef, both in terms of money and the environment. As you see, I am a fan of the goat :lol: =D>

rick
udonmap.com

Post by rick » April 18, 2013, 11:28 pm

I am a fan of goat meat :)

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 12, 2015, 8:45 pm

This year's Agriculture Fair will be held at Khonkaen University between 23 January and 1 Feb. I'd expect pretty much the same rules apply as did previous years......wear comfortable walking shoes, arrive early in the day.......and avoid weekends at all costs.
Attachments
10882112_837585352944758_2146806348474380733_n.jpg

Dreamcatcher
udonmap.com

Post by Dreamcatcher » January 15, 2015, 10:38 pm

Thanks for the update for his years event, Parrot. Will be on my calendar for sure :)

Regards

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » January 26, 2015, 6:44 pm

We went today.....got their early with good shaded parking and acres of vendors. There is nothing in this neck of the jungle.......nothing that comes close to the diversity of what's offered at this fair.
Bring good walking shoes, some cash, and get their early to avoid the afternoon heat.

For those who imbibe in Khao Suan Kwang chicken on the way to Khonkaen, there's good news for those who want takeout: The restaurant immediately before the Bangkok Bank will vacuum pack a freshly grilled chicken, along with a variety of pepper sauces. According to their sign, the bag will keep your chicken fresh for two weeks in a refrigerator....slice it open, and microwave or grill to heat. We bought one before reaching the fair, kept it in a cooler with ice and ate it at home. FWIW......Khao Suan Kwang chicken is supposedly a blend of several varieties of chicken......nothing CP about it. It's more on the range-chicken-tough style.....and makes a perfect chicken for grilling.
Next time, I'll bring back several bags for freezing.

ไก่ย่างวรรณา เขาสวนกวาง
Attachments
20150126_102727.jpg

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » January 26, 2015, 11:06 pm

Were there last year. Huge selection of everything a house- and gardenowner would like. Just much bigger than the offers during the Udon Provincial Fair in December.
2014-01-30-12h18m53.jpg
2014-01-30-12h18m58.jpg
2014-01-30-12h19m16.jpg
2014-01-30-13h54m00.jpg
Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

the-monk
udonmap.com

Post by the-monk » January 27, 2015, 8:34 am

THANKS TO ALL Great info. I ll be going later this week.

ckm8ed

Post by ckm8ed » March 11, 2015, 5:26 pm

I would like to know more about growing other than rice and watermelon for my in laws in the Sakon Nakon area. Is there a course that a family member can attend to learn more. They have no Internet connection where they live. I would like them to have more education about possibilities for growing various things.

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » March 12, 2015, 7:32 pm

ckm8ed wrote:I would like to know more about growing other than rice and watermelon for my in laws in the Sakon Nakon area. Is there a course that a family member can attend to learn more. They have no Internet connection where they live. I would like them to have more education about possibilities for growing various things.
There are no freebies like in some other countries and even vocational schools or Sunday Schools might not cover the topic.

The best recommendation is therefore to contact your competent regional chamber of commerce. The Udon Thani one is quite active in promoting - though information - organic farming. Visit their office, lots of leaflets there.

https://th-th.facebook.com/udonchamber

http://udonechamber.com/home/

http://www.thaichamber.org/Udonthani/

P.S. Buy Your family an used laptop and have Your connection being used by them too. Ban all types of games.
Please wear suitable clothing when attending a concert in Udon Thani. Slacks and short-sleeved shirts are ok, shorts, tank tops or muscle shirts are not.

ckm8ed

Post by ckm8ed » March 13, 2015, 11:06 am

Where they live they only have access to very slow connection so all money spent for connection goes to quick but I'm open to suggestions

ckm8ed

Post by ckm8ed » March 13, 2015, 11:08 am

Is there a sakon nakhon chamber that would be closer to where they live

waanjai
udonmap.com

Post by waanjai » March 13, 2015, 3:51 pm

ckm8ed wrote:Is there a sakon nakhon chamber that would be closer to where they live
I would not know where to look :lol:
[url]https://สมุดโทรศัพท์.cybo.com/TH-biz/sakon-nakhon-chamber-of-commerce[/url]

[url]https://สมุดโทรศัพท์.cybo.com/TH-biz/sakon-nakhon-chamber-of-commerce_1w[/url]

http://www.chamber-commerce.net/dir/415 ... kon-Nakhon

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”