New TEFL/TESOL Course in Khon Kaen

Issan the rural northeast forum
SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » January 16, 2011, 6:35 pm

Starting in March of this year, There will be a new TEFL/TESOL course offered in Khon Kaen, Thailand. This is good news for those in the Isaan area who would like to earn a certificate without having to travel too far. For more information, please visit the following website page: http://kketp.com/tefl

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Re: New TEFL/TESOL Course in Khon Kaen

Post by Prenders88 » January 17, 2011, 8:50 am

Bit of a trek from Udon to KK, and 1000's of baht spend on petrol.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » January 17, 2011, 2:12 pm

Prenders88 wrote:Bit of a trek from Udon to KK, and 1000's of baht spend on petrol.
How long before a TEFL course or the like are available in Udonthani tho ?? many CC customers ask about this .

SORRY OFF TOPIC but
Prenders squire , is it possible to lower the bottom line of your avatar pic , driving me mad what her chapels look like .

mash .... did a TEFAL cousre once - now i make perfect toasted sandwiches !!

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » January 17, 2011, 3:51 pm

Not sure about Udon. Probably the best thing to do if you want to take a TEFl course in Khon Kaen but live outside of KKC would be to rent an apartment for 1 month (3-5,000 baht). There are apartments here that don't require a multi-month lease. You could always choose to return home (Udon, Roi-et, wherever) on the weekends.

I 2nd the the avatar request, Prenders! Quit teasing us for Christ's sake.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » January 17, 2011, 6:31 pm

I don't think any of our wives would allow any of us to live in Khon Kaen for a month, only coming home at weekends.

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » January 17, 2011, 8:39 pm

Especially not if your avatar resides in KK!

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » June 8, 2011, 9:36 pm

There will be two TEFL courses in Khon Kaen-one commencing September 12th & the other starting on October 3rd-that can be completed in 19 days. Also, the normal fee of 45,000 baht has been reduced to 35,000 baht for these courses. Additionally, for those who seek immediate employment after acquiring your TEFL certificate, these courses both finish prior to the beginning of November when the 2nd semester begins and many schools are hiring.

Please visit http://kketp.com/tefl or PM me for further information.

Astana
udonmap.com

Post by Astana » June 8, 2011, 10:47 pm

SkyyWalker wrote:There will be two TEFL courses in Khon Kaen-one commencing September 12th & the other starting on October 3rd-that can be completed in 19 days. Also, the normal fee of 45,000 baht has been reduced to 35,000 baht for these courses. Additionally, for those who seek immediate employment after acquiring your TEFL certificate, these courses both finish prior to the beginning of November when the 2nd semester begins and many schools are hiring.

Are the courses 'Ministry of Education' certified or approved?

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » June 8, 2011, 11:21 pm

Astana wrote:
SkyyWalker wrote:There will be two TEFL courses in Khon Kaen-one commencing September 12th & the other starting on October 3rd-that can be completed in 19 days. Also, the normal fee of 45,000 baht has been reduced to 35,000 baht for these courses. Additionally, for those who seek immediate employment after acquiring your TEFL certificate, these courses both finish prior to the beginning of November when the 2nd semester begins and many schools are hiring.

Are the courses 'Ministry of Education' certified or approved?
Here is a quote from the Island TEFL website ( http://www.islandtefl.com )

"We are an IATEFL member (Member No. 17506), and work in collaboration with the Ministry Education,Thailand.Island TEFL Certificates are internationally recognised, as well as being accepted by the Thai Ministry of Education, the Ministry of Labour and the Department of Employment."

As you may know, having a TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certificate IS NOT a requirement to teach legally in Thailand. However, most schools prefer to hire people who have this type of training. Feel free to contact the owner of Island TEFL, Phil, through his website should you need further assurance regarding your query. You, or anyone else, may contact me directly by phone at 089 278 7472 with any questions...Scott

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » June 8, 2011, 11:24 pm

Prenders88 wrote:I don't think any of our wives would allow any of us to live in Khon Kaen for a month, only coming home at weekends.
Bring THEM with you, then! [-X

Khun Paul
udonmap.com

Post by Khun Paul » June 9, 2011, 6:13 am

Quote (As you may know, having a TEFL/TESOL/CELTA certificate IS NOT a requirement to teach legally in Thailand. )

True but a Work permit is and the requirements are at least a degree coupled with a TEFL if the degree is not in the subject you are intending to teach.............just a small point.

pienmash
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by pienmash » June 9, 2011, 7:44 am

Finding a teaching position was the easy bit ............. IMO the first and biggest hoop to jump through ref teaching in Thailand was obtaining a teachers licence from the Education dept , thereafter working with the employing school to sort out all the other redtape including work permits which were/are still a nightmare .

Without a teachers licence the prospective teacher could not LEGALLY teach and or get a work permit , it was at the TL application stage that all the qualification checks took place including verification of a degree , TEFL or other.

Im going back 10 plus years and at the time the Thai government were clamping down on the teaching profession as it was flooded with foreign " teachers " with less than adequate quals and many with ullterior motives for living and teaching in Thailand .

mash.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 9, 2011, 8:40 am

Perhaps the fee, 45k includes a university degree . :lol: For those still in England and wishing to obtain a TEFL may I suggest you check out the Open University of Oxbridge course, conducted entirely by post and in my case , taking 6 months to complete . It was entirely free for those over 60, the only expense being postage . For those not familiar with Oxbridge Uni, it is the combined Oxford and Cambridge open university arm .That combined with my BA degree was very well received when I eventually sort work in Bangkok from private organisations, who took care of all the other formalities for me .Unfortunately after five years doing that I was told I couldn't work because I had a retirement visa . :roll:
Ageing is a privilige denied to many .

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » June 9, 2011, 6:25 pm

pienmash wrote:Finding a teaching position was the easy bit ............. IMO the first and biggest hoop to jump through ref teaching in Thailand was obtaining a teachers licence from the Education dept , thereafter working with the employing school to sort out all the other redtape including work permits which were/are still a nightmare .

Without a teachers licence the prospective teacher could not LEGALLY teach and or get a work permit , it was at the TL application stage that all the qualification checks took place including verification of a degree , TEFL or other.

Im going back 10 plus years and at the time the Thai government were clamping down on the teaching profession as it was flooded with foreign " teachers " with less than adequate quals and many with ullterior motives for living and teaching in Thailand .

mash.
I agree, Mash, and I was lucky that all 3 gov. High Schools I taught at were very organized with paperwork & had plenty of experience with immigration & the whole process necessary to acquire the visa & work permit. My first work permit was in Chaiyaphum, the second in Maha Sarakham and the latest was in Khon Kaen at the school I recently resigned from after 2.5 years of "service".

I remember when the requirement to take & complete the so-called Thai culture arose. My school was able to acquire a paper that exempted all 5 of us for 2 years and I've never acquired the "teacher's license". My hunch is that the culture course was simply a way for the MOE to raise some cash-it really annoyed me and other foreign teachers who had been teaching for 5+ years that we couldn't be exempt from the stupid due to how long we'd already been in Thailand. If it had really come down to it, I would have resigned earlier rather than pay for the culture course!

Anyway, threads like these highlight how confusing & conflictive information can be regarding the whole issue. Again, I've never had a teacher's license and I've never completed the culture course and until recently, I had never completed a TEFL course, yet I've had 3 work permits-one for over 2 years. Also, I really doubt that if you don't have a BA in education that a TEFL/TESOL/CELTA is required to get a work permit.

In regards to other comment about doing a TEFL via the post in the UK, all I can say is that while I'm sure it helped you (and the price was right) don't think for a second that it's comparable to taking a course face to face with an instructor who has teaching experience and being able to have numerous, observed practice teaching sessions.

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 9, 2011, 7:45 pm

SkyyWalker wrote:

In regards to other comment about doing a TEFL via the post in the UK, all I can say is that while I'm sure it helped you (and the price was right) don't think for a second that it's comparable to taking a course face to face with an instructor who has teaching experience and being able to have numerous, observed practice teaching sessions.
Whilst I admire your audacity I must ask . Do you really believe a certificate issued by a unknown institution, to me anyway, could really compare with one issued after intensive training by the combined two top universities in the UK and possibly in the world ? Are you really suggesting that Oxford/Cambridge tutors are less able than your staff? :-"

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » June 9, 2011, 7:54 pm

I took your comment "by post", or as I would say "by mail", to mean that you completed the course at home by yourself. Perhaps I misunderstood...did I?

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » June 10, 2011, 6:03 am

SkyyWalker wrote:I took your comment "by post", or as I would say "by mail", to mean that you completed the course at home by yourself. Perhaps I misunderstood...did I?
You are assigned an individual tutor but all communication was by post. Now days i would guess the internet plays an important role

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » June 11, 2011, 1:04 pm

For those of you interested in seeing what schools & students look like in Northeast, Thailand.

SkyyWalker
udonmap.com

Post by SkyyWalker » June 24, 2011, 11:45 pm

Nick@AUA
Udonmap Sponsor

Post by Nick@AUA » August 23, 2011, 9:28 am

SkyyWalker wrote: In regards to other comment about doing a TEFL via the post in the UK, all I can say is that while I'm sure it helped you (and the price was right) don't think for a second that it's comparable to taking a course face to face with an instructor who has teaching experience and being able to have numerous, observed practice teaching sessions.
I agree, there seems to be a big difference between doing a TEFL on-line, and doing one in the classroom. I have met many teachers over the years with one or the other. It would be interesting to hear from anyone who has an on-line TEFL and their thoughts...

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”