Wat Kham Sanot, Changwat Udon Thani

Issan the rural northeast forum
luangtom
udonmap.com

Wat Kham Sanot, Changwat Udon Thani

Post by luangtom » December 27, 2009, 10:17 am

Has anyone else out there visited Wat Kham Sanot, changwat Udon Thani? I visited there on our recent stay in the Isaan and must say it was an interesting experience. It is located East/Northeast of Udon Thani and almost due North of Sawang Daen Din, yet it is in changwat Udon Thani. My wife and her family call it "a superstition temple".

It has a very large, standing Buddha, that is visible for a long-distance from the wat. It has the numerous traditional Buddha statues at various locations around the facility, a fish-pond, numerous gongs and bells and a "dragon path" that leads to the "lifting stones" and a variety of gongs that folks rub to get to "sing".

The abbott is knowledgeable and wears a 108-bead mala necklace that is adorned with amulets, takrut, bone and horn.
He also offers those that visit takrut, amulets and blessed waist-bands for the males. He blesses say yant and I received a "meed mor", protective knife, from him that protects the home from evil. His name is Ajahn Ping.

I am just curious if others have visited and what their experiences here were.

Chok dee.

lee
udonmap.com

Re: Wat Kham Sanot, Changwat Udon Thani

Post by lee » December 27, 2009, 11:21 am

Do you mean this temple Kam Chanot? http://www.udonmap.com/udonthaniforum/g ... 12397.html

luangtom
udonmap.com

Post by luangtom » December 27, 2009, 11:49 am

Yessir, that certainly is the place. Pardon my spelling of it, as the translation was written down for me by my young nephew, who is 12. Certainly is an interesting place.....

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 27, 2009, 8:14 pm

There are lots of photos available on the web if you search for คำชโนด. The majority of websites that refer to the place call it ป่าคำชโนด (kamchanote forest), but there is a temple just before you cross the bridgeway.
About 11 years ago, a 'make-believe' monk video-taped an apparition that all the Thai news networks couldn't stop showing/reporting....until someone discovered that the make-believe monk was making make-believe videos.
If you've never been to the island, you're missing one of the 'sights' in this neck of the jungle.

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 27, 2009, 8:45 pm

Agree parrot. As a former 'Bang Dungian" (or however you should refer to livers in that area :D ),have been a few times, last one about 3 weeks ago, as TG has never been before.
Can be VERY tranquil on the island when it is not busy. Some times of the year they hold festivals there (including the 'rocket' one) and then it can be very busy indeed.
Also some species of what I took to be squirrels inhabit the trees.
Was a bit disappointed to see that quite a lot of what I can only call "tat" sellers have set up their stalls in the car park now. Food has always been available, but plastic guns & dolls seemed a little out of place to me.
The water from the well in the centre of the island is held to have special properties. Many visitors will fill containers with it to take home.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 27, 2009, 8:55 pm

Bob are are trying to make a connection between those of us who live in Ban Dung, and the state of our livers?

Does Eddie have a lot to answer for?

Shame on you for that, but also congrats for coming out of the cupboard. I am sure you will have a better sleep tonight. :D

As far as KC is concerned, I have been there numerous times. Along with Ban Chiang, and Eddies Sports Bar, it is one of the few natural physical attractions in these parts. :lol: :lol:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » December 27, 2009, 9:33 pm

2. a dweller or resident; inhabitant.
;)
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/livers

Ah there was not an Eddies when I was out that way - Tam's was it then???

KC is well worth the visit to anyone in the area. From personal experience I would say avoid weekends & holidays for a first visit....

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » December 28, 2009, 2:54 am

Some say Kam Chanod is the home to the Naga.
As another Old Ban Dungian it's a favourite picnic place with the wife's family. Guess who pays for all the food and drink. :?
Take your shoes off and walk to the shrine, and take the water in the square pond, some visitors fill bottles and take some home. Once met a party who rented a minivan and drove all the way from Bangkok to take some water home. There is long queue to see "Ajarn" at the weekends and holidays, but it's easier to see him in the week.
A monk with amazing powers, with the ability to read you like a book.
On the Naga bridge there is a good photo oppotunity to take a tree framed picture of the standing Buddha image.

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”