Ban PaKo, Kumphawapi

Issan the rural northeast forum
farangman

Re: Ban PaKo, Kumphawapi

Post by farangman » December 29, 2009, 4:24 pm

I didn't read all the post before I replied before. I understand that you are not in a relationship, but she still doesn't want you to butterfly? I don't get it?

Anyhow. Pho Ko is very traditional even though there are lots of girls who have seen other parts of Thailand and are more modern. When they come back, they act as expected of them. I'm very surprised that she takes a male friend to visit her parent. You'll be the first in that village. And I can assure you there will be gossip in the village.. not the good kind. I'm sticking to my advice from the post before.

Irishfella

Post by Irishfella » January 10, 2010, 4:47 pm

farangman wrote:Hi there!

My wife is from Pha Ko, so I know the place quite well. I can already tell you that there is very little to do in Pha Ko. So having a car will make your life easier. I have also rented from Lek and everything worked out fine. They can deliver the car to the airport. that is Nice!

KP-hotel is quite ok. stayed there many weeks. It's a bit expensive for what you get servicewise. Prices start from about 760 Baht/night if I recall correctly. I would recommend one of the cornerrooms where you have windows to two directions, about 1000B/night. Less claustrophobic after a week. I have also rented from Lek and everything worked out fine. Had a car for about a week. Delivered to the airport. Nice!

Nightlife in Pha Ko is pretty crappy. There is a karaoke bar in the hotel where I have had many good times. But if you are out to butterfly I can give you a warning. Pha Ko is a pretty small place and there is a good chance your friend will know some of the staff. One of my wifes friends work there. So what happens there will get out.

Then to the moral discussions... If your friend takes you to visit her parents. THAT IS A BIG DEAL. She is pretty much announcing that you are her future man. She may not know that you do not understand this which seems to be the case here. As it seems that you have no intension of having a longer relationsship with her I would advise you, for respect for your friend and her family, not to go there.

On the otherhand, if you will be a regular in Pha Ko, I'd love to have a beer or two with you some time!! :)
I will be very respectful in her village. Who knows what the future will bring.

LoongLee
udonmap.com

Post by LoongLee » January 10, 2010, 9:01 pm

Irishfella,,,,,,,, The advice offered by the previous posters on here,,, at your urging,,, is definitely worth noting, and heeding. There is a great deal of wisdom presented to you, a complete stranger, for no other reason than help to a fellow man. Please be cautious. The road ahead could be filled with landmines.

If you are very good friends with the lady,,,,, then take the next step to avoid a misunderstanding and talk to her,,, explaining your reason for suggesting she visit family,,, and also, what are her expectations or MORE importantly what are her families expectations? Your thoughtful dialogue now could possibly help to alleviate a future disaster.

Good luck,,,LL

Irishfella

Post by Irishfella » January 11, 2010, 6:22 am

This has all been done. On my insistance I may add. Lets all chill. If anyone is about Kumphawapi on the weekend of March 5th, I will happily buy you a beer!!

Frankie 1
udonmap.com

Post by Frankie 1 » January 11, 2010, 7:53 pm

My wife lives in Kumpawapi and we've got some land there, but I won't be there in March.

I think it's a good thing to stay in the KP hotel (where else? it's the only hotel in Kumpawapi) and travel using a rented car. When you go to her village, let her give you clues to what would be appropriate or not. Behave and dress in a polite way, then everything should be fine.

Good luck.

mrnicey1966
udonmap.com

Post by mrnicey1966 » January 13, 2010, 7:06 am

always respect her mother and father , you will be looked upon as an adopted son no matter what your age .
you must always greet the father first with a prayer like gesture and next the mother , never touch a thai persons head or expose the soles of your feet , remove your shoes before entering the family home and present each member of the family an envelope containing thai baht , this is a custom in isaan that you will with no doubt repeat on many occassions , remember you are a westerner who has travelled thousands of miles and if you can afford that long journey , you can and will support her family .
they will never accept anything less

good luck

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » January 13, 2010, 7:45 am

[quote="mrnicey1966"] .....and present each member of the family an envelope containing thai baht , this is a custom in isaan that you will with no doubt repeat on many occassions .....[/quote]

I do try to understand and follow Thai customs, but I've never heard of that one. Yes, usual to bring quite a bit of food along (and perhaps treat the kids), because there will be quite a crowd awaiting you and you'll be aware that the Thai rather like eating! But, unless I've missed something, I thought Irishfella's intention was that this WOULDN'T be his family and the Thai lady was only a friend? So, distributing money would surely give the wrong impression.
My experience has been that many people living in rural villages are related and I'd bet that family would extend to dozens, particularly if envelopes were anticipated. :lol:

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 13, 2010, 7:51 am

Mr. Nicey appears to be a troll, and not a very pleasant one at that.

By his own admission, people who respond to his posts are fools.

It is best to ignore him, and then he will wither away.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » January 13, 2010, 7:52 am

I am forever learning about new Thai customs.

I am very happy I didn't know about the "envelope" thing when I first visited Ban Dung in 2003. Neither, apparently did any of the other farangs who live here. :-k

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » January 13, 2010, 7:55 am

thai bad habits

New postby mrnicey1966 on January 12, 2010, 6:53 pm
youre right , this is probably no definately my worst idea for a discussion topic but at least it attracted a few replies ,i didnt even think it would get one , it just shows how bored you peeps must be to even consider replying to this thread

i wonder if anyone will reply to my next topic?
This is what he wrote earlier on another thread.

mrnicey1966
udonmap.com

Post by mrnicey1966 » January 13, 2010, 5:29 pm

my ex-thai wife must of been lying when she told me about giving money discreetly in envelopes to hide embarassment , when i first visited her small village in nongkhai i presented the family with an expensive gift that i had purchased for each of them but they were more interested in the envelope containing the thai baht , but its obvious and i thank you educated expats for confirming that my ex-thai wife was nothing more then a liar , thankyou all again

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”