Loei

Issan the rural northeast forum
Ray.Charles
udonmap.com

Loei

Post by Ray.Charles » December 19, 2009, 1:40 pm

I have never been to Loei. As it is in the mountains, I would have guessed that the summer days there would be milder than that in Udon. But, I quote from the Lonely Planet
"...temperatures fluctuate from one extreme to the other- hotter than elsewhere in Thailand during the hot season and colder than anywhere else during the cold season."
Did you know that?

nkstan
udonmap.com

Re: Loei

Post by nkstan » December 19, 2009, 4:00 pm

I had heard that before,but I would be a little skeptical about it being the coldest during the cold season.I imagine the altitude has something to do with the temps!

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » December 19, 2009, 4:22 pm

nkstan wrote:I had heard that before,but I would be a little skeptical about it being the coldest during the cold season.I imagine the altitude has something to do with the temps!
Yes, I would have thought Chiang Mai a candidate for coldest. I don't know how/exactly where they take readings, but I did spend time in a lovely hilltop(not sure it justified mountain) resort there. Awoke to heavy mist, very damp, cold, whilst down the hill as hot as ever. My mate's girl lives in a fairly remote village and often indicates weather extremes, whilst it's normal here.

747man
udonmap.com

Post by 747man » December 19, 2009, 4:58 pm

Remember last year a School Teacher doing an experiment in Loei,I think around Christmas time,He Placed 2 bottles of water in the School yard overnight,and the next Morning they had turned to Ice....So I guess that's C-O-L-D........ :-k :-k

parrot
udonmap.com

Post by parrot » December 19, 2009, 5:00 pm

If you live in the mountains of Loei, as in Phurua, it'll be a bit colder in the winter and a bit cooler in the summer. But if you live in the city of Loei, it's as hot as Udon in the summer. I haven't been to Chiangmai in the summer, but I've heard it's very hot in the city. You need to be outside the valley, in the mountains to get any relief from the heat.....and I'd guess the difference is not much.

jackspratt
udonmap.com

Post by jackspratt » December 19, 2009, 5:14 pm

According to here: http://www.meteorologyclimate.com/extre ... ecords.htm, hottest ever Uttaradit 44.5C, and coldest Doi Inthanon (near CM) -8C.

For Udon, 43.9C and 2.5C.

WBU ALUM
udonmap.com

Post by WBU ALUM » December 21, 2009, 7:33 pm

Friends in Loei routinely sleep in long sleeved tees and long sweatpants or heavy pajama pants.

They usually don a coat and even cap after waking up to get their coffee because it is so cold in their homes in the early mornings. Some very chilly nights and mornings at times in Loei.

AussieBoy
udonmap.com

Cold Place

Post by AussieBoy » December 21, 2009, 8:20 pm

Doi Inthanon is 8000+ feet high I stay at Doi Ang Kang 100k north of CM on the border with burma got to 5C last January

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”