anyone know anything about Phetchabun

Issan the rural northeast forum
thai 2 on
udonmap.com

anyone know anything about Phetchabun

Post by thai 2 on » July 30, 2009, 3:41 pm

Hey guys, I am planning a trip to Phetchabun within the next several weeks. I have read about the provience, and sounds nice. Now, what about Farang foods & such? What about long term rentals, like say a house?

Any info would be GREATLY APPRECIATED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
thanks
eJ

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Re: anyone know anything about Phetchabun

Post by BobHelm » July 30, 2009, 3:54 pm

I think (from memory) both LA & Irish Alan have made stop overs there on route to other places & posted reports, but I had a search & couldn't find anything...
I have stayed with TG family just outside a couple of times. Must admit I have never seen much in the way of bars or Falang if I have ever wandered about the town.
Would say it looked a nice small Thai town. I wouldn't expect much in the way of Falang fare but would equally be surprised if you could not find any at all.
From memory any hotel reports on the town have not been exactly awe inspiring & full of flattery :D
Even like Udon I would imagine finding somewhere to rent will involve a lot of travelling around & asking in local shops when you find an area that appeals.
Good luck, hope some of the other posters can fill you in with details...

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » July 30, 2009, 4:13 pm

It wasn't me guvnor honest it wasn't... I stopped over in Phitsanulok en route to Chiang Mai... :mrgreen:

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 30, 2009, 4:17 pm

Ah, sorry IA - they are only a stones' throw away from each other though!! (Admittedly not an English cricketers throw ):D :D

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 30, 2009, 6:05 pm

one of the very few provinces in N and NE I haven't stayed overnight, simply driven thru a couple times between KK phitsanulok. shortest route would be via NBLP, picking up hwy 228 to Chum Phae, then hwy 12 to Lom Sak, which saves about 60 kms if you went UD/KK/Lom Sak, and of course that money stop about 45 kms south of udon on hwy 2 :evil: :D . should be a very nice drive, especially after NBLP, as some nice hills. Phetchabun seems to sit in a valley with hills on both sides, but never been there. might have to put that on the agenda, one section i havent' gotten around to yet.

udon to lom sak, is about 250 kms. another 40 to Phetchabun, Amphur Muang. allow up to 4 hrs, as there are hills and slow going on 12, forget if before or after lom sak, or both. Phet, few hotels there, couple upscale. if you need some map software, let me know, mine goes down to 1/5000, and is quite helpful on self drive out and abouts. especially if having a lap top, if not can print off ahead of time what you need.

if you go, don't forget to post your thoughts and ideas there. enjoy.

rickfarang
udonmap.com

Post by rickfarang » July 30, 2009, 6:14 pm

You won't want to live there, though admittedly, its been nearly 10 years. Glad to never see it again.

Dry, dusty or wet and muddy -no in-between. Crap for hotels and resorts. Crap for food. Am I being too negative? I think not!

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 30, 2009, 7:03 pm

You won't want to live there, though admittedly, its been nearly 10 years. Glad to never see it again.

Dry, dusty or wet and muddy -no in-between. Crap for hotels and resorts. Crap for food. Am I being too negative? I think not!
now there is a fine endorsement :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

it is a small town, and hopefully things have changed since, though i wouldn't really expect too much there besides the countryside, and during wet/green season, as dry and dusty is the norm for most of thailand non green season.

did find some accomodation listing on TAT, with websites, which is usually not the norm for that site. sawadee has 3 listings, one seems interesting, another a bit upscale. links below if not familiar with TAT site, sometimes informative, especially for smaller towns. travelfish didn't have anything on his site, nor did virtualtourist site, 2 i go to every so often for smaller towns. tat had 2 pages of hotels and food, next page from bottom of list.

hotels for whole province
http://www.tourismthailand.org/accommod ... -67-1.html

munchies, though didn't notice any farang places, sure they are a couple in amphur muang.
http://www.tourismthailand.org/restaura ... -67-1.html

good luck.

thai 2 on
udonmap.com

Post by thai 2 on » July 30, 2009, 8:11 pm

thanks guys. I still want to go and check it out. Mountains are always a fine thing to admire. Dry & dusty, well yes, I think I will get a cold beer now :guiness:

eJ

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » July 30, 2009, 8:25 pm

Where will you be? In town or in a village. On the plains or in the hills?

BobHelm
udonmap.com

Post by BobHelm » July 30, 2009, 8:32 pm

Just had a word with TG as she has relatives just outside.
Her words to me is that it is a little like Loei but Loei is MUCH nicer :D :D
She says that like anywhere in Thailand there are Falang there "But not too much"... :D

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”