Khon Kaen Town.

Issan the rural northeast forum
douglas
udonmap.com

Khon Kaen Town.

Post by douglas » July 12, 2009, 4:58 pm

Hi,
If anyone is thinking of going south of K.K.take the bypass. They are doing major road works and a lot of the way is single lane, it looks like a big job and will take a long time to complete. Made the mistake on going through K.K. on my way down to Korat last weekend, total s**t.
On my way back went on bypass and was 20 mins, quicker and no hassle.
By the way they had the speed cops on the bypass, first time i have seen this so beware.
Cheers Doug.

747man
udonmap.com

Re: Khon Kaen Town.

Post by 747man » July 12, 2009, 5:06 pm

Doug, It's the only way to go IF youre going south of KK,And have no reason to stop there,Yep the bypass everytime for me.....

Irish Alan
udonmap.com

Post by Irish Alan » July 12, 2009, 6:05 pm

Isn't the new Central situated beside the city gate? So all the surrounding roads must be getting dickied up.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 12, 2009, 6:50 pm

it's down a ways, but right in the thick of things, a driving nightmare, as about 4 lanes on each side, go down to 1 each, along with merging traffic trying to get out of town. no cross streets, as a couple u-turns quite some distance apart, definitely take the bypass.

thanks for warning on speed traps, as i've never seen police patrol the bypass, simply not enough vehicles to make it worth their trouble. :evil:

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » July 13, 2009, 7:59 am

they are building a flyover there , at the junction of the A 12 to chom phea . if its any thing like the one at big c , it should be completed sometime ?????? so without doubt , bypass , bypass , bypass . :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » July 13, 2009, 8:50 am

KK has always been a bitch to drive through (at least everytime I've tried it) so why wouldn't you use the bypass?

douglas
udonmap.com

Post by douglas » July 13, 2009, 9:29 am

Hi,
747 I had to go into K.K.as daughter had to got to Uni. for some tests that took a couple of days. All the other times I've used bypass.
Last Feb nine of us hired a mini van and driver to go south of Bangkok, he went through K.K. and had no trouble at all. This was about 0900Hrs. so as i was in the place i decided to try it ](*,)
Cheers Doug.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 13, 2009, 9:59 am

they are building a flyover there
think that is going to be a fly under, can't wait till the 1st rainy season after it is done, after 5 more contractors go bankrupt in next 3-5 yrs :D . Ree made that observation, and i didn't notice any pile driving for flyover supports, and that hole does seem to be getter deeper and deeper, so she may be right. this should be interesting. :roll: :roll: :roll:

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » July 14, 2009, 7:11 pm

My friends in KK confirmed is an under ground by pass, taking ages ! to get even looking like a completed project.

With Central opening in KK this area will be a major disaster for traffic.

Expat tuk tuk service is a gr8 idea , From Oasis Centre to Central 50 baht .

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 17, 2009, 7:12 am

wazza wrote:My friends in KK confirmed is an under ground by pass, taking ages ! to get even looking like a completed project.

With Central opening in KK this area will be a major disaster for traffic.

Expat tuk tuk service is a gr8 idea , From Oasis Centre to Central 50 baht .
Does anyone know an estimated opening date for Central yet?

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » July 17, 2009, 10:47 am

passed by few weeks ago, still block and cement stage, though looks as though most of it completed. still some welding work being done also, more for the look than structural. huge place.
Date of completion 3rd December 2552
http://www.cpn.co.th/newproject/khonkae ... il_en.html

and from KK forum.
The world's longest aquarium tunnel will be opened sometime in North Eastern Thailand in time for the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Summit in December whenever.

The $17.4 million aquarium will serve as venue for the ASEAN Summit wherein heads of government in the region will gather to discuss pressing political and economic issues affecting Southeast Asia.

The aquarium, which was officially inaugurated by Thai Prime Minister Somchai Wongsawat, is located inside the new Central Plaza in a four-acre area. The tunnel measures 146 yards long and 73 yards wide.

It is divided into freshwater and ocean sections, which features some 8,000 aquatic creatures of 250 different species.

The aquarium is expected to boost tourism in Khon Kaen
http://www.khonkaen.com/english/forum/f ... tral-plaza

trubrit
udonmap.com

Post by trubrit » July 17, 2009, 11:08 am

Thanks for that LA. Looks good. :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » July 17, 2009, 11:42 am

laphanphon wrote:passed by few weeks ago, still block and cement stage, though looks as though most of it completed. still some welding work being done also, more for the look than structural. huge place.
Date of completion 3rd December 2552
http://www.cpn.co.th/newproject/khonkae ... il_en.html
http://www.khonkaen.com/english/forum/f ... tral-plaza[/quote]

Funnily enough my missus was asking about this the other day.We were in Central Plaza in Udon at the time so I suggested she asked the lady in reception by the entrance to see if she knew.
This lady told my wife "open already".......so lucky we didnt make a special trip to Khon Kaen ! [-X

Marmite The Dog
udonmap.com

Post by Marmite The Dog » July 22, 2009, 12:20 pm

laphanphon wrote:i didn't notice any pile driving for flyover supports,
It's an underpass not a shop-house.

Both sides of the road have been removed, the ground-works put in and the roads reinstalled, hence it's taking so long to complete.

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”