moving to sakon nakhon

Issan the rural northeast forum
virginprune
udonmap.com

moving to sakon nakhon

Post by virginprune » June 26, 2009, 6:24 pm

Hi, my g/f has just got a new job in sakon nakhon province...anybody on here live there or know it...looking for any info that might be of help to me...transport links, amenities etc...thanks guys!!

Roy
udonmap.com
Location: Outside LA's hoping to get a glimpse of his naked maid

Re: moving to sakon nakhon

Post by Roy » June 26, 2009, 6:32 pm

I hear they do a fine Hot Dog down there :lol:

virginprune
udonmap.com

Post by virginprune » June 26, 2009, 6:37 pm

So have I :lol:

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 26, 2009, 7:51 pm

do not eat the snails, they have liver flukes, any snails, and tell the little lady. been there, short visit, more of a pit stop. laid back, not built up or congested like udon. you can make side trips to the mekong by keep going east. should be a tesco lotus there, so not completely rice paddy land, but much different than udon, except the isan factor.

enjoy the peace and quiet. let us know how it is. 8)

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 26, 2009, 8:18 pm

don't know much about the area, but here's a couple links if you know less than me. there IS a lotus there, apparently much nicer than the big c there, but guessing nothing special. put a link for sawadee, and virtual tourist, from there you can get some info, virtual tourist site has some info, but not much, link for restaurant will have more links for tips at bottom, tho not many. also forgot, dog meat and fur capital, take notice to what's in you noodle soup, as for as meat goes. :D
http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/As ... akhon.html

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/5a1cb/160b59/2/

http://isan.sawadee.com/sakhonnakhon/

virginprune
udonmap.com

Post by virginprune » June 26, 2009, 8:39 pm

Thanks for the links and info LA...peace and quiet sounds good me...will keep you posted :D

keith555
udonmap.com

Post by keith555 » June 26, 2009, 9:02 pm

i think the "hot dog" is the only part they do not eat.... :D

izzix
udonmap.com

Post by izzix » June 26, 2009, 10:54 pm

udon is a one horse town SN is a one donkey town

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » June 27, 2009, 8:48 am

anyone got a saddle ??? what a shame you cant ride izzix , you will miss all the fun !!!!!!! :? :? :?

sappiajk
udonmap.com

Post by sappiajk » June 27, 2009, 10:52 am

It really depends on where you will be living in SN. In the capitol city there is a Pizza Company, Swensons, Big C, Lotus, Mackro, KFC, etc. There is an airport in which Nok Air partners with PB air and offers flights to BKK (not daily.) It actually is a decent size city. I don't live there but have been there quite a few times and I always see other foreigners around.

jetdoc
udonmap.com

Post by jetdoc » June 27, 2009, 11:01 am

About 8 years ago I was going with a girl from Sakon Nakhon and at that time none of the already mentioned establishments were there. There was only one hotel that was farang suitable, but I did enjoy the time I spent there over about a two year peoiod. Puppy ribs sep mak :D

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » June 27, 2009, 12:11 pm

Every few months I am cajoled into driving a few relatives to Sakhon Nakhon to visit one of their own who is incarcerated at the prison there. Seems to be some real nutcases driving along that stretch of highway. Not unusual to get pushed onto the shoulder of the two lane stretches by oncoming buses and trucks.

Sakhon's a lot different place than I remember from 35-40 years ago. Then, it was a lot like Nong Khai in those days, a sleepy and dusty town with not much to offer. Now it's quite a busy place with a university along with the businesses already mentioned.

I usually sit in the waiting area while the relatives go inside to visit. It's amusing to watch the motorbike louts who hang out there trying to hit on some of the prisoners wives waiting to see their hubbies or boyfriends. Like watching sharks go after meat. :-"

Don't see many stray dogs in the streets, tho. :-k

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 27, 2009, 12:20 pm

Not unusual to get pushed onto the shoulder of the two lane stretches by oncoming buses and trucks.
agree with that, one of the most dangerous roads i've driven on, though all staight away, but as mentioned, stay alert and make sure you check them mirrors. wouldn't want to push a motorbike off shoulder if you need it. no exaggeration, that road is dangerous, don't know why, but the passing is with no regard to yours or their own safety.

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » June 27, 2009, 12:31 pm

Yeah, relatives usually learn a few choice English cuss words when I drive them on that road. :censored:

Be sure to visit Nakhon Phanom and Mukdahan, Virgie. Too far to commute from Sakhon Nakhon but interesting and restful places to eat and stay along the Mekong. Beautiful views of the karst mountain ranges in Laos from the NKP side. Can get some good bargains at the night/day markets in both cities.

virginprune
udonmap.com

Post by virginprune » June 27, 2009, 8:08 pm

Thanks again for the info...I don't normally drive here but I will certainly take care on my bicycle...will probably be in the city as g/f works for the probation service...she is going to look for somewhere to rent tomorrow..I am blighty side at the moment so cannot help on that one!!...looking forward to it as a change is as good as a rest :D

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » June 28, 2009, 1:24 am

a bicycle should be perfect for that town, wish udon was bike friendly. used to be 8 yrs ago, as i cruised in many times from 20 km out and then around town with no problems. the ride home was a bitch sometimes.

luangtom
udonmap.com

Post by luangtom » July 12, 2009, 8:10 am

Besides the venues or markets listed on other posts, SK does have some places of interest if you are into the architecture and historical aspects of the region and its monks. Ajahn Mun Bhuridatto museum is in town and Wat Phra That Chaengsoum is in town with its ancient architecture. Makes for an interesting day-visit. Otherwise, it is a very laid-back community and very Isaan... :sleepy:

markdamaroyd
udonmap.com

Post by markdamaroyd » July 18, 2010, 9:26 am

virginprune wrote:Thanks for the links and info LA...peace and quiet sounds good me...will keep you posted :D
Even more peace and quiet in our village about 30 klm outside Sakon Nakhon. Really, the city's not that quiet. Everything you want,really, but not much in way of farang bars.

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”