Loei

Issan the rural northeast forum
arjay
udonmap.com

Loei

Post by arjay » August 24, 2017, 9:52 pm

It's quite a few years since I last visited (Muang) Loie, - probably not since 2010. Can anyone update me, - has it changed much?

Noting how much Udon (particularly so) and to a lesser extent Nong Khai, have grown over the last 5 - 7 years, has much changed in Loie?

For example, is there anything much to do there in the evening, any new venues etc. From what I remember it used to be mainly street eating and the odd beer garden.

I understand that there are now daily flights to Don Muang (with Nok Air), and a new Tesco out of town.

jimjay
udonmap.com

Re: Loei

Post by jimjay » August 24, 2017, 10:38 pm

arjay wrote:
August 24, 2017, 9:52 pm
It's quite a few years since I last visited (Muang) Loie, - probably not since 2010. Can anyone update me, - has it changed much?
Yep now they spell it Loei. :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Re: Loie

Post by Zidane » August 25, 2017, 8:14 am

We have been to Loei a couple of times this year.There is a Tesco's on the main road but the town centre has not changed too much.We found a really nice restaurant that had a beer garden,inside aircon,live EPL football and live music.
Turn right at the traffic lights heading towards the roundabout in the centre.Follow the road for about 800 metres (before you reach the roundabout) and you will see a petrol station on your right.The restaurant is about 30 metres before that....nice food and reasonably priced.They also have a "Walking Street" on a Friday and Saturday night in the area near the river and close to the Loei Palace hotel.
If you want to see somewhere in the area that has really changed I suggest you visit Phu Rua.We had not been for about 7 years and their are resorts and strawberry farms all over the place now.Also,a really good restaurant on the left before you go up the hill towards the government offices.Cant remember the name,unfortunately,but its quite a large restaurant which you go up a flight of steps too.....always busy with passing trade,including minibus/coach parties.....good food.
Just when I thought our chance had passed,you go and save the best for last.

vincemunday
udonmap.com

Post by vincemunday » August 25, 2017, 8:26 am

Is there much to see and do there other than the market? I've driven through a fire times but never really stopped.
The forest was shrinking daily but the trees kept voting for the axe as its handle was made of wood and they thought it was one of them.

mathusalah80
udonmap.com

Post by mathusalah80 » August 25, 2017, 8:29 am

Zidane wrote:
August 25, 2017, 8:14 am
We have been to Loei a couple of times this year.If you want to see somewhere in the area that has really changed I suggest you visit Phu Rua.We had not been for about 7 years and their are resorts and strawberry farms all over the place now.Also,a really good restaurant on the left before you go up the hill towards the government offices. Can't remember the name,unfortunately,but its quite a large restaurant which you go up a flight of steps too.....always busy with passing trade,including minibus/coach parties.....good food.
Any helpful suggestions as regards Hotels?
Also details of visa requirements & procedures each for farangs and thai nationals?

Thanks.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 25, 2017, 8:53 am

No,sorry....both times we stayed at the Loei Palace hotel in Loei.....sometimes they have promotions like 30% off or stay 1 night get 1 free,includes breakfast.If you don't know it,its well situated near the river and adjoining a nice park near the centre of Loei.It has a swimming pool and the normal room rate would be around 1300 baht per night (including breakfast).
The only place we stayed at in Phu Rua was the Phu Rua Resort years ago which was decidedly average.
Looking at Booking.com theres a couple of highly rated resorts.....
Phuphet Hill Resort....about 1100 baht per night with breakfast but no pool.....review score 8.4.
Phu Rua Sanctuary Resort and Spa....about 2000 baht per night :badteeth: with breakfast and has a swimming pool.....review score 8.6.
No visas required and strawberry picking (in season) not compulsory. :D

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 25, 2017, 9:01 am

vincemunday wrote:
August 25, 2017, 8:26 am
Is there much to see and do there other than the market? I've driven through a fire times but never really stopped.
Both Loei and Phu Rua are chilling out places,really,I've found.....get a decent hotel with a pool (Loei Palace Hotel or Phu Rua Sanctuary & Resort)......theres a few restaurants in Loei.Only tried one in Phu Rua but the more upmarket resorts there will probably have a restaurant......Phu Rua,just enjoy an ice cool beer and view the scenery ! :D

Brian Davis
udonmap.com

Post by Brian Davis » August 25, 2017, 9:34 am

Just a heads up here. The Loei Palace Hotel was flooded out (not for the first time) not so long ago, so need to check that things have been cleaned up and back to normal.

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 25, 2017, 12:30 pm

My wife and I spent 2 nights at the Baiboon Place Hotel in Loei. It is a clean Chinese run hotel by the River and individual Hotel. Wifi is excellent. The rate is 6450 baht a night. Breakfast is not included. It is near a number of restaurants. Phone number 042812123
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

Zidane
udonmap.com

Post by Zidane » August 25, 2017, 1:19 pm

Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
August 25, 2017, 12:30 pm
My wife and I spent 2 nights at the Baiboon Place Hotel in Loei. It is a clean Chinese run hotel by the River and individual Hotel. Wifi is excellent. The rate is 6450 baht a night. Breakfast is not included. It is near a number of restaurants. Phone number 042812123
I reckon you mean 645 baht a night Uncle T ?? ;) congrats on your marriage 8)

Laan Yaa Mo
udonmap.com

Post by Laan Yaa Mo » August 25, 2017, 3:19 pm

Zidane wrote:
August 25, 2017, 1:19 pm
Laan Yaa Mo wrote:
August 25, 2017, 12:30 pm
I reckon you mean 645 baht a night Uncle T ?? ;) congrats on your marriage 8)
Thanks.

It was 450/night. My wife gets a discount as a traveling sales representative throughout northern Isaan, and when in Bangkok for meetings. 6450 baht would be a bit pricey for Loei. 555
You only pass through this life once, you don't come back for an encore.

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » August 25, 2017, 3:21 pm

Sorry about the spelling of Loei. Usually one of my better skill areas.

Thanks for the comments and updates. I was thinking from the point of view of living there, or spending extended stays there. I conclude still not too much to do in the town itself. I suspect it would be a big step down in terms of the nightlife of Udon or even Nong Khai, not to mention the strolling along the Rimkhong area of Nong Khai.

I have visited Phu Rua in the past. That's always worth a trip if visiting the area.

wazza
udonmap.com

Post by wazza » August 25, 2017, 6:17 pm

I heard there is now a Thai Craft Beer bar located there as well as a german bar, that caters for expats etc

Roadie

Post by Roadie » August 26, 2017, 5:58 pm

Does Loei and Nong Khai get much rain in June and July?

arjay
udonmap.com

Post by arjay » October 1, 2017, 7:18 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Roadie wrote: Does Loei and Nong Khai get much rain in June and July?
Roadie, Nong Khai and Loei get more rain in September. June would be better than July.

mak
udonmap.com

Post by mak » November 23, 2022, 12:09 pm

Phu Ruea district in Loei province will soon hold the “Christmas Festival” at the Phu Ruea Christmas Courtyard, at the entrance to the Phu Ruea National Park. The festival will be held from November 25 until January 31. The opening ceremony is scheduled for November 25-26, Friday to Saturday. 

Return to “Northeast Thailand (Issan)”