Best holiday location in thailand?

Things to do and places to see in Udon Thani.

where is the best place for a holiday

samet
7%
phuket
7%
samui
9%
krabi
11%
chang mai / rai / pai
13%
hua hin
17%
simulan islands
4%
kho chang
20%
pattaya
13%

Total votes: 46

mighty-chang
udonmap.com

Best holiday location in thailand?

Post by mighty-chang » August 19, 2008, 8:20 am

Ok the mighty chang returns for another post ,this time i think it maybe a good idea to talk about holiday destinations best place to go
With the school holidays just around the corner i will be taking the family some where nice .I have been in and out of the kingdom for 8 years we have traveled extensively around the great kingdom maybe other's can share their views on the wonderland of thailand at give each other a good idear where to travel also

here is a list and how i rate the given place

1.samet = golden beach great place to chill

2. samui = eeeeewwww to many tourist ,very expensive

3. krabi = yes lots of tourists on the mainland but the islands and the day trips are a must see!!!

4.phuket = yes nice expensive keep away from patong

6. pattaya = a circus show nice if you are single

7 . hua hin =was nice 8 years ago but now is over developed

BKKSTAN
udonmap.com

Post by BKKSTAN » August 19, 2008, 8:36 am

Koh Chang and Koh Samet are my choices!A friend of mine was telling me about a beach South of Hua Hin that sounds interesting!On a military base,if I remember right,but can't remember the name!

papaguido
udonmap.com

Post by papaguido » August 19, 2008, 8:44 am

I didn't select an option, nothing there that would interest me in taking my kids to, although I think they're fine places just for my wife and I.

We really don't have the luxury of taking extended vacations so our choices are limited. If we have business in BKK, than we hit up some of the amusement parks for the kids and take advantage of the shopping malls. If not we'll stay a little closer to home and go to Korat. The zoo and water park is adequate entertainment for my 6 & 3 yr olds and the shopping malls are up to par with some of BKK's finest.

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 19, 2008, 8:52 am

ao minao, which is on the airforce base just south of pretchup kheri khan i think stan. both have stunning beaches with very safe swimming for kids. but as both places have not really been explored by farangs yet there is very little in the way of western restaurants and amenities. limited hotels and accomadation ,but enough. if you want a beach holiday in the real thailand this is the place. absolutely stunning.

laphanphon

Post by laphanphon » August 19, 2008, 10:22 am

ao minao
wise choice for kids, since needed to go out couple kms to get 2 meters :lol: nice clear water and large rooms.

didn't vote, but need to consider malaria and snake bite risk for little one, 30-60 minutes, so once settled, need real hospital. ko phayam was great for hut on beach, as was khao lak, for upscale hut on beach. 2 best vacations spots so far, but phayam is of the list, due to above kid concern. i'm a kata beach phuket fan, and thong wua laem, just 15 kms north of chumphon. both a regual stop and depending on water, TWL is couple days or week, then off to kata for long week. ree and gem have very short attention/appreciation span, after few days at beach or pool, are just as comfy in room watching tv. not big on vacations.

no beach, i've driven most of the country, the myanmar border up around MHS and golden triangle, coming back thru loei/nong khai was very nice. i self drive. northeast is also nice, but do before you get watted out, as not much here but them and the countryside. mekong of course is a big muddy, but nice to look at anyway, dry or wet season. haven't been south or surat thani on that side, just the ranong/phuket side. krabi didn't do much for me, or the logistic of going to any other island on east or past anything easy. again, kid cautious. so they are out until me and ree can do by ourselves.

didn't care for samui, just not me, understand the draw. didn't care for chang, maybe wrong season, but water was full of sewage. lanta was nice, and that was at wrong season, constant rain, but i liked it. haven't been to samet. didn't care for chiang mai, drove thru chaing rai, pattatya is pattaya, hua hin a regular pit stop, but use to hang out, now beach is sh*t, so just a day or 2. similians, too far, and have a friend who can dive here for free, dove there 6 times, saw large mantas, very nice, but the rest is fished out. until burma banks open consistantly, my diving days are on lhold, did phuket and pp for that. very nice to just ok. phuket all day affairs, pp, short trip to dive sites.

kanchanaburi, another big tourist spot, the war thing or bridge, not insensative, but didn't do anything for me, tho nice place to hang our on river and just relax.

nice country, get out and see it. small, so easily done. off season, go on whim and take your time. enjoy.

mortiboy
udonmap.com

Post by mortiboy » August 19, 2008, 10:25 am

Brighton beach is nice beach is nice ...Stoney beach,sea stone cold & muddy brown, Nude bathing,Gay beach area.Gay bars,weird misfits who have not yet retired to Thailand.Great place when the sun shines!( Two weeks in a year!
and so many! friendy people

bigwavedave
udonmap.com

Post by bigwavedave » August 19, 2008, 10:37 am

Hey Ron
That looks a great place.. Do you think I could easily get a holiday visa for the wife to see this stunning almost 8th wonder beach??? i just cant believe how unspoilt and pristine it looks... Hasnt it been voted as the best beach in the world recently by TAT???

wokkawombat
udonmap.com
Location: Udon/Noosa Australia. "One crowded hour of glorious life is worth an age without a name".

Post by wokkawombat » August 19, 2008, 11:39 am

I have not toured very much in Thailand, lazy bas**rd. I lived in Pattaya for a few years so it is now off my radar.

As I have to go to Aust every 6 months for medical, financial and family reasons and as I live within spitting distance of Noosa Beach and Fraser Island etc I have no desire to visit the islands or beaches of Thailand. Six weeks is long enough to sate my desire for surfing, boating, diving and fishing and I am happy to be back in Udon each time.

I do intend to visit the North West area of Thailand when I return in October and spend a bit more time around the Loei, Dan Sai, Phetchabun area and along the Mekong.

John

polehawk
udonmap.com

Post by polehawk » August 19, 2008, 12:20 pm

I voted for Pattaya. The only places on the list that I have visited were Chiang Mai 35 years ago and Pattaya. I'm in no hurry to revisit CM because of what I have read and heard about it (smog, traffic problems, etc). Might as well go to Bangkok. Pattaya has everything I am ever looking for (shopping, restaurants, movies in English, bookstores, etc.). Lots of bad press about the place but never personally experienced any of it. Lots of expats make it their permanent home for good reasons?

I'm sure all of those listed are as good and probably better than my choice. Hopefully, will find the time and inclination to visit some of them soon! :D

handsome-Dane
udonmap.com

Post by handsome-Dane » August 19, 2008, 1:17 pm

I am a guy who likes it quite. So I would says that I like Kanchanaburi. City where most of the tourist are 1 to 2 day stayers and then they move on. Lots of backpackers there, but they are ok. But on the list I will say Hua Hin

souness
udonmap.com
Location: helping in the search for irish allan.(kirkby,liverpool,uk)

Post by souness » August 19, 2008, 7:17 pm

pattaya:lousy beach,loads of lowlife about,but good food and shopping.not expensive.not good for familys with kids but good for singel men.

samui:lovely beaches,very touristyin chaweng.lamai is ok.quite expensive.

just my thoughts on the two places weve been this trip.coming north end of month and into loas.

sean

Allen A Hale
udonmap.com

Post by Allen A Hale » August 20, 2008, 7:59 am

Chiang Mai/Chiang Rai/Pai gets my vote

Great scenery, wonderful people

saint
udonmap.com

Post by saint » August 20, 2008, 9:21 am

yea that is a great area allen, i must make the effort to revisit there soon . :D :D

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » August 21, 2008, 3:22 am

Pattaya has it all.
Great shopping, top quality cuisine, and you can even eat the food cart cuisine if you want to go native. Fish and chips, pies, tea like Mother makes, huge greasy British breakfasts everywhere. Can walk around the town wearing a silly hat, and socks with shorts, and nobody stares or gives a fuk. I wear a pith helmet and flying googles, really silly.
Lots for the kids, zoo, elephant camp, water parks, horseback riding, boat trips. The kids get bored sh*tless traipsing around temples. They want amusements. Take them around a temple and they all look like Sooty's friend within 3 minutes.
For Dad.
Soi 6 with all those cunning linguists.

Go4er

Post by Go4er » August 21, 2008, 3:39 am

Phuket, Chang Mai, Pattaya get my vote in the best place to holiday ( in that order). Phuket has great boating, scuba diving, and great sightseeing opportunities. I know I am going back to Phuket next year for another relaxing and joyful holiday.

vlad
udonmap.com

Post by vlad » August 21, 2008, 4:11 am

been to patong 6 times now last there 3 monthes ago m-c never again very expensive never got 1 min without some scrounger trying to sell me something even on the beach at patong your pestered 200-50 baht a lounger went for a snack mrs vlad paid 30 for a chicken leg the farang paid 70 baht because me farang some bars 250 bottle of singah bike hire 1000 a day ive not even mentioned the tailor mafia 1 thing i cant get me head round all the indian tailors say g'day mate want a suit mmmm im a northern pom. to many muggings now between patong and kata rd cannot ride it at night. so my advice my friend stay well away from that place.

UdonExpat
udonmap.com

Post by UdonExpat » August 21, 2008, 8:53 am

The Bangkok Post is currently running a poll about Thailand's top destinations. The destinations include some in this poll and are more interesting and diverse.

http://www.9destinations.com/en/index.php

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 21, 2008, 2:50 pm

Prenders88 wrote:Pattaya has it all.
Great shopping, top quality cuisine, and you can even eat the food cart cuisine if you want to go native. Fish and chips, pies, tea like Mother makes, huge greasy British breakfasts everywhere. Can walk around the town wearing a silly hat, and socks with shorts, and nobody stares or gives a fuk. I wear a pith helmet and flying googles, really silly.
Lots for the kids, zoo, elephant camp, water parks, horseback riding, boat trips. The kids get bored sh*tless traipsing around temples. They want amusements. Take them around a temple and they all look like Sooty's friend within 3 minutes.
For Dad.
Soi 6 with all those cunning linguists.
Sounds like your a real Blackpool/Southend/Skegness/Margate kind of guy
Do you wear your knotted hankie under or over your pith helmet? :roll:

stattointhailand
udonmap.com

Post by stattointhailand » August 21, 2008, 3:07 pm

BKKSTAN wrote:Koh Chang and Koh Samet are my choices!A friend of mine was telling me about a beach South of Hua Hin that sounds interesting!On a military base,if I remember right,but can't remember the name!
That definatly sounds like Manao Bay near Sam Roi Yot National Park.
I've not yet been there or to a place about 60km further south called Bangsaphan (Noi) where I have been told they have great snorkelling/diving. Due to it being a smallish town there are only a few farang residents, and therefore only have a limited number of farang food outlets/bars. But hey they have two or three resurants and a couple of "beach bars" to while away the evening hours, so I might just give it a go for a few days soon.
Ban Krut Beach (north of Bangsapan noi) also sounds quite good.

Prenders88
udonmap.com

Post by Prenders88 » August 21, 2008, 6:17 pm

[quote="stattointhailand
Sounds like your a real Blackpool/Southend/Skegness/Margate kind of guy
Do you wear your knotted hankie under or over your pith helmet?

No, I'm a Pattaya kind of guy, and so are the kids, we enjoy all the facilities of Pattaya.
Why the snobbery?
For a lot of people who live in Thailand, Pattaya is their first experience of the country.
I can't fit a knotted hankie under my pith helmet.
8)

Return to “Things to do in Udon Thani”